Message Author

Postby gamakatsu » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:21 pm

...and he was a Trekkie as well :ohyes:

Milhouse Van Houten

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:21 pm

Postby Macc » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Quote:
Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman dies aged 43

Chadwick Boseman, the man who brought Black Panther to life, has died aged 43.

The actor has been battling colon cancer since 2016, and died at home with his family and wife by his side, according to a statement posted on his Twitter account.

"A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you so many of the films you have come to love so much," the statement said.

"From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson's Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and several more, all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy."

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Postby Macc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Quote:
Helen Reddy, Australian singer of hit song I Am Woman, dies aged 78 in Los Angeles

Australian singer Helen Reddy, who reached number 1 around the world with hits like I Am Woman, has died in Los Angeles at the age of 78.

Her family confirmed she died yesterday.

She had been out of the limelight for several years after being diagnosed with dementia.

Born in Melbourne in 1941, she started her career as Baby Helen touring with her parents.

She won Bandstand in 1965 and went straight to the United States.

Reddy had her first hit with I Don't Know How To Love Him in 1971, making her the first Australian to top the US charts.

It was one of three number-one chart toppers she released.

But it was the release of her signature song I Am Woman in 1972 in particular that propelled her to international fame.

She co-wrote the song with Ray Burton and it became the anthem of the women's movement.

In 1973, I Am Woman became the first Australian-penned song to win a Grammy Award.

Milhouse Van Houten

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Postby Macc » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 pm

Quote:
Eddie Van Halen dies at 65 after cancer battle

Eddie Van Halen, the renowned lead guitarist of iconic rock group Van Halen, has died, according to a social media post by his son. He was 65.

Eddie Van Halen, whose full name was Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, and his brother Alex Van Halen began performing together as teens, but formed the core of what would later become Van Halen after meeting David Lee Roth.

Over four decades, Van Halen released more than a dozen albums together.

Van Halen's guitar wizardry anchored the band through four turbulent decades of platinum albums, sold-out tours and a revolving door of lead singers, from Roth to Sammy Hagar to Gary Cherone and back to Hagar and Roth again.

His solos crackled like lightning and powered all the band's signature songs: "Runnin' With the Devil," "Panama," "Hot For Teacher," "Why Can't This Be Love?" and of course "Jump" -- their only No. 1 hit -- which topped the pop singles charts in 1984.

Van Halen also famously lent his guitar chops to Michael Jackson for "Beat It," the smash 1983 hit from the landmark "Thriller" album that melded Jackson's silky pop with a harder rock edge.

Speaking to CNN in 2017 after making a charitable contribution to help raise money for school music programs, the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer noted the role music has played in his story.

"My whole life has been music," he told CNN's John Vause. "I could not imagine anything else."

In a tribute for Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists, Van Halen, who was No. 8, wrote that Eric Clapton (No. 2) was "basically the only guitar player who influenced me -- even though I don't sound like him."

Milhouse Van Houten

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 474 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48