AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Image slideshow 
Message Author

Postby wolverine » Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 am

You may have noticed we have a nifty new feature... You can now view any post images in a slideshow. Use left/right cursor keys to navigate, Esc to close. If navigating with a mouse, click on arrows to the left or right of the image. Click on Play to slide images automatically every 5 seconds. Slideshow caches two images ahead of the two you are viewing, so if you are trying to view them quickly, you may experience some lag. This is to prevent server/link overload by not having to load full sizes images unless necessary.

Thumbnails are staying as they are for the time being, we will be doing some metrics to see which method of viewing post images is most popular, then decide whether to leave both in there or remove one. Any feedback is welcome.

Capo Bastone

Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 am

Postby sharkboi » Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Nice feature, but would be good if you could get the 'Slideshow' button to not appear when there is only 1 image in the post.

I found it goes way too fast through the images when you choose the play button , I want to look at them not race through them, and the way it goes to an image smaller than it is, then zooms in to it full size makes me dizzy.. :dizzy: so I can't use it for that alone.

Troy McLure

Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm

The slideshow fits the image to screen, would there still be the option to save the fullsize image if you got rid of thumbs?

Carl Carlson

Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Postby wolverine » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 pm

mr_walker* wrote:
The slideshow fits the image to screen, would there still be the option to save the fullsize image if you got rid of thumbs?

Wouldn't be getting rid of thumbnails as such, they are very much a preferred method of browsing this site I would think. My thinking is more along the lines of clicking a thumbnail starts the slideshow from clicked image rather having a separate slideshow button. But that would only happen if we can resolve most issues with current implementation... Some of sharkboi's comments are quite valid. Also, it would only happen if it was possible to save the full size image as easily as it is now. But I have to say the slideshow works really well when using a tablet, saves all that sliding and waiting for page to load before moving on to the next image etc.

Capo Bastone

Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Postby wolverine » Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 am

sharkboi wrote:
and the way it goes to an image smaller than it is, then zooms in to it full size makes me dizzy.. :dizzy: so I can't use it for that alone.

Just realised it does that in Chrome, Firefox behaves much better, it shows spinner image while loading next image without resizing...

I've also found out that currently used slideshow framework has not been updated in close to 3 years, I may not have picked the best one... I'll be looking for an alternative in coming days.

Capo Bastone

Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 am

Postby wolverine » Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 am

New slideshow viewer has been implemented. I have so much faith in it that I've removed the Slideshow button altogether, slideshow now starts by left-clicking on any image. Middle-click still opens the image in a new window, making it fast to load and easy to save if that is your preference. It is also possible to right-click on an image in the slideshow and save from there as well...

All feedback is welcome.

Capo Bastone

Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 am

Postby sharkboi » Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm

wolverine wrote:
New slideshow viewer has been implemented. I have so much faith in it that I've removed the Slideshow button altogether, slideshow now starts by left-clicking on any image. Middle-click still opens the image in a new window, making it fast to load and easy to save if that is your preference. It is also possible to right-click on an image in the slideshow and save from there as well...

All feedback is welcome.

Well, it works better than the first one, but..., there is one thing I really don't like about the new slideshow setup, we can't view a single image now! we are put into the slideshow mode automatically, which means we are forced to see the image with all the slideshow stuff all over it, the play button, the pause button, the next button, the X button, the image size details, the image 3 of 12 info etc , I find all that incredibly annoying and distracting, when I just want to see the image without all that stuff getting in the way!
We've had to put up with channel logo's on TV when we'd wish they would just go away, but now we have all this extrra slideshow rubbish in our way when we want to just view a single image here! :no:
Before we had a choice to enter the slideshow, which I didn't use, now we've had that choice removed. :sad:

Troy McLure

Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Postby wolverine » Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm

sharkboi wrote:
Well, it works better than the first one, but..., there is one thing I really don't like about the new slideshow setup, we can't view a single image now! we are put into the slideshow mode automatically, which means we are forced to see the image with all the slideshow stuff all over it, the play button, the pause button, the next button, the X button, the image size details, the image 3 of 12 info etc , I find all that incredibly annoying and distracting, when I just want to see the image without all that stuff getting in the way!
We've had to put up with channel logo's on TV when we'd wish they would just go away, but now we have all this extrra slideshow rubbish in our way when we want to just view a single image here! :no:
Before we had a choice to enter the slideshow, which I didn't use, now we've had that choice removed. :sad:

If you read my post carefully, you will see where I explain that middle-mouse click will give you that behaviour. Have you tried it?
If others are of the same opinion, I can move all that image overlay information above/below the image.

Capo Bastone

Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Postby sharkboi » Mon May 13, 2013 12:46 pm

wolverine wrote:
sharkboi wrote:

If you read my post carefully, you will see where I explain that middle-mouse click will give you that behaviour. Have you tried it?
If others are of the same opinion, I can move all that image overlay information above/below the image.

I thought that the middle mouse click mean't you could start the slideshow in a new tab, so it's good to know I can still view single images, which is my preference.
I think it would be a good idea to move the image overlay info off the image, it's too distracting.

Troy McLure

Mon May 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Postby Reb » Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 pm

wolverine wrote:

All feedback is welcome.

hey, this new site and ideas is going gangbusters :smoke:
and I don't know if you realize it but hoverzoom,- hold the pointer on image and it enlarges - works :ohyes: :cheerstothat:

Mary Bailey

Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 13 posts ]