AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 22 posts ] 
 Quitting Smoking 
Message Author

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:56 pm

I am (once again) trying to give up the smokes.

I have been a smoker for nearly 30 years, and I know this is not easy: I have tried to give up (seriously) twice before.
(Even typing this has shocked me: I never really thought about it, but, throughout my life, I have been a smoker longer than I have been a non-smoker)

Previously, what drew me back to the ciggies was the fact that all my male mates smoke; and if you are a ex-smoker in a room full of smokers, you will know how hard that can be.
But, am am sick to death of running out of smokes at inconvenient times and doing a late night dash to the supermarket.

I now haven't had a smoke for nearly two weeks. I have patches this time, which helps a bit, but I still get cravings.
So, I decided to post here to remind me to stick with it, and harden my resolve. Image

I know that I can do this: As long as I don't buy another packet! (That would be conceding defeat!)
I still have a long way to go. :nervous:

Otto Man

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Yeah, I smoked for over twenty years before I gave up. I tried a few times before but failed. The only thing that was different the last time was my attitude in that I simply just did not want to smoke any more.

Most people who say they want to give up smoking actually don't. They just don't want to die of Infosemia so they do either one of two things; keep giving up & starting again & find & memorise a whole load of data (usually funded by tobacco companies) & to convince themselves & argue with people that there is no proven link between cancer & smoking.

One of the things that makes it difficult to quit smoking is that it's like giving up part of your personality. Smokers tend to measure their lives by smoko breaks & use the smoke from their mouths & the cigarette they are holding when they articulate & gesticulate. People forget that, when they first started smoking, this was the main part of the initial attraction - not the taste. For a while after I quit I did miss the congregation & gossiping with other smokers but those groups are getting smaller & smaller & I learned how much fun I was always missing with the non-smokers inside. When I was talking to people I felt it a bit weird not having something to occupy my hands - but not for long.

The people I know (including myself) didn't give up because of the health issue. If that was a factor, none of us would've started in the first place. People don't stop doing things they enjoy just because they know it's bad for them. People only stop doing things because they don't enjoy & want to do it any more.

When you go outside for a smoke, do you have a couple of drags & then not even feel like smoking the rest or do you enjoy the whole cigarette & sometimes even light up another a few minutes later when another smoker joins you?

If you were offered a free lifetime's supply of a new revolutionary type of cigarette that has absolutely no negative effect on your health would you take it or would you still say no?

I lost my father to cancer (not Infosemia) within the first year of my quitting of smoking. We had his funeral the Wednesday before the Saturday I was first opening in a new show I was doing as well as having to audition for the next one after. I survived that show & found out that I won a role in the next one. People after said that they admired the fact that I got through all that with going back to the smokes but the funny thing was I never even thought about it.

I found that the Nicobate lozenges helped. I didn't follow the programme, I just had one when I felt like it. I started with the stronger ones & first & then the milder ones. I didn't get hooked on them. They don't even taste that good but they can help with a few symptoms caused by cravings which in my case manifested as pains in my jaw muscles.

Ned Flanders

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 pm

I gave up using the patches along with taking a couple of weeks off work. It was easier than I thought, but I relapsed about 2 yrs ago. :oops:

Carl Carlson

Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Nicotine addiction's stronger that heroine. Ask any doctor.

Ned Flanders

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Postby locky1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Smoking is a habit, i was a 2 pack a day smoker and tried numrous times to give up without luck, using patches and going cold turkey.

I really needed to give up so i worked out a few things, firstly i knew when i got up in the morning it was straight to fridge or the servo for an iced coffee and then had an iced coffee and a smoke. Or if i got to work it was then same scenario, an iced coffee and a smoke. So i thought stuff it i will try giving up both at once. So the iced coffees went out the window and freshly squeezed orange juice came into play, presto within 3 weeks i had stopped the morning habit, so went through a few other little things i did when i smoked and after 2 months had given them up. That was just over 2 years ago, havent had a smoke or an iced coffee since, only prob is i have now put on 20kgs but at least i can breath easier And yes SKaVeN you are exactly correct on your diagnosise

Ned Flanders

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Postby narly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Same as Skaven , just did not want to smoke any more. I didn't smoke inside when I bought my new house & it wasn't fun having a fag outside in the freezing cold . In the end I just wasn't enjoying it . I didn't go the patches I went from 20+ a day to 3-5 small cigars ( Old Port Colts ) a day . In the end I just said F@#%k it ,it's not worth it and that was it ( 8 years ago ). I'm now probably the worlds worst reformed smoker , I can smell a smoker In his car on the other side of the intersection :shock: . Downside , probably added 20 kilos :shock:

Troy McLure

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:04 pm

mr_walker* wrote:
I gave up using the patches along with taking a couple of weeks off work. It was easier than I thought, but I relapsed about 2 yrs ago. :oops:

That's sounds similar to how I screwed up the first time.

I gave up (cold turkey), then about 18 months later, whilst partying :drunk: , I accepted a few cigs from other people. Within days I bought my next pack. :no:

I am encouraged to hear stories from others that have been down this path before (even if they have not succeeded); it all adds to my resolve.
I just don't want to be bothered by NOT having cigarettes within an arms reach anymore. The dependency has become an inconvenience that outweighs the addiction.

Thanks for your stories.

Otto Man

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:34 pm

locky1 wrote:
Smoking is a habit, i was a 2 pack a day smoker and tried numrous times to give up without luck, using patches and going cold turkey.

I really needed to give up so i worked out a few things, firstly i knew when i got up in the morning it was straight to fridge or the servo for an iced coffee and then had an iced coffee and a smoke. Or if i got to work it was then same scenario, an iced coffee and a smoke. So i thought stuff it i will try giving up both at once. So the iced coffees went out the window and freshly squeezed orange juice came into play, presto within 3 weeks i had stopped the morning habit, so went through a few other little things i did when i smoked and after 2 months had given them up. That was just over 2 years ago, havent had a smoke or an iced coffee since, only prob is i have now put on 20kgs but at least i can breath easier And yes SKaVeN you are exactly correct on your diagnosise

With me it was beer. If I was to go out & start sipping a Cooper's Sparkling or Pale Ale, the first thing I'd want is a smoke. Without the cigarette it just didn't taste the same. I switched to being a wind-drinker & have no regretted it at all. It's not as fattening either. :wink:

narly wrote:
Same as Skaven , just did not want to smoke any more. I didn't smoke inside when I bought my new house & it wasn't fun having a fag outside in the freezing cold . In the end I just wasn't enjoying it . I didn't go the patches I went from 20+ a day to 3-5 small cigars ( Old Port Colts ) a day . In the end I just said F@#%k it ,it's not worth it and that was it ( 8 years ago ). I'm now probably the worlds worst reformed smoker , I can smell a smoker In his car on the other side of the intersection :shock: . Downside , probably added 20 kilos :shock:

The putting on weight seems to be a factor for a lot of people. With some it's because of the cravings & the lozenges I suggested may help with that but it's mainly the physical aspect of the ritual of smoking. "Okay, I've got ten minutes waiting time; I can't have a smoke so I'll eat something instead." Getting used to not always having something to keep your hands & mouth occupied can take some time... :lol:

Ned Flanders

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Postby locky1 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:51 am

Sometimes its good fun to have your hands and mouth occupied :oops:

Ned Flanders

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:51 am

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:15 am

...said the bishop to the alter boy...

Ned Flanders

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:15 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 22 posts ]