View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 2551 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 256  Next
 Stephanie Bendixsen - Hex 
Message Author

Postby Bandit90 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Damienpayne wrote:
So Im seeing an issue here. im not sure whether anyone else picked it up. Nich Richardson. Now I know hes probably a fairly obvious scapegoat, but if you look back, Steph has 6 good years, then Nich comes in. next year, boom. gone. they try to bring him into spawnpoint, boom, bajo is gone. he comes up with steph and whassis, and that only lasts 6 months.

I know, i shouldnt carp all over nichs name, but its too.. obvious.

And I also know i shouldnt seek blame where ch7 can be seen partially responsible too.

I just .. I never got Pocket. I never got Nich. He seems the unholy catalyst we all fear.

Like what was said when GG got canceled, the ABC was going through a huge overhaul with funding and structure, Janet Carr (OG creator) left at the same time. Hex also wanted to explore commercial TV (ie money and opportunity) after getting advice from some counterparts re being over 30 with no mainstream presence. It had nothing to do with Nich, who, again, is a far more accessible host than Bajo would've been. If anything, Pocket was on its way to being the model for the show surviving, something that was taken over to sP with multiple 10-20min episodes on YT every week (that did start to noticeably drop off towards the end).

As for CH7, well it was inevitable. Being on 7Mate wasn't an immediate blow, but it didn't help. Also they got moved around a bit in timeslot, from after 10 or 11, to prime-time, then back after whatever AFL dribbled on for longer than necessary meaning almost midnight. Also, they had no sponsors, they had St George for a second, but then very little if anything after that. They weren't going to survive, and it was unfortunate from a content point of view also, as so many good games are coming out or will by the end of the year

Last edited by Bandit90 on Sat May 05, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth Hoover

Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Postby RDAK08 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Reb wrote:
She was great, edgy, showed a bit of skin In Goth The Craft sort of way when she started with ABC3 ,
then she hooked up with what's his name and it was like 'No more Sexy Hex for you '
I believe he was also the instigator for the move to commercial TV,
Plus she's an over 30 year old gamer, Too old for Gen Z and not showing enough skin to get Gen Y or X off

Hope she finds a spot on TV, but kids show hosts rarely do ........ :no:

I'll say it again, shut up you whinging pile of poo, cut the conspiracy crap out, go away and don't come back if all you're going to do is cry about the lack of cleavage like the baby you are.

Monty Burns

Fri May 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Postby RDAK08 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Bandit90 wrote:
Damienpayne wrote:
So Im seeing an issue here. im not sure whether anyone else picked it up. Nich Richardson. Now I know hes probably a fairly obvious scapegoat, but if you look back, Steph has 6 good years, then Nich comes in. next year, boom. gone. they try to bring him into spawnpoint, boom, bajo is gone. he comes up with steph and whassis, and that only lasts 6 months.

I know, i shouldnt carp all over nichs name, but its too.. obvious.

And I also know i shouldnt seek blame where ch7 can be seen partially responsible too.

I just .. I never got Pocket. I never got Nich. He seems the unholy catalyst we all fear.

Like what was said when GG got canceled, the ABC was going through a huge overhaul with funding and structure, Janet Carr (OG creator) left at the same time. Hex also wanted to explore commercial TV (ie money and opportunity) after getting advice from some counterparts re being over 30 with no mainstream presence. It had nothing to do with Nich, who, again, is a far more accessible host than Bajo would've been. If anything, Pocket was on its way to being the model for the show surviving, something that was taken over to sP with multiple 10-20 episodes on YT every week (that did start to noticeably drop off towards the end).

As for CH7, well it was inevitable. Being on 7Mate wasn't an immediate blow, but it didn't help. Also they got moved around a bit in timeslot, from after 10 or 11, to prime-time, then back after whatever AFL dribbled on for longer than necessary meaning almost midnight. Also, they had no sponsors, they had St George for a second, but then very little if anything after that. They weren't going to survive, and it was unfortunate from a content point of view also, as so many good games are coming out or will by the end of the year

Channel Seven is notorious for dumping or sidelining anything that's not MKR or a rip off of The Block. It does experiment a fair bit, more than other channels, but never really seems to commit to a show, it just throws anything at the wall to see what sticks. It just so happens that wall is non-stick. Screen Play did exceptionally well in comparison to Seven's token efforts of program content diversity, and that should be celebrated.

Nich was enjoyable back on GG, I found him and the other presenters on SP to be a little awkward, even the content and feel for the show did feel a little childish. While they did muck around on GG and have a laugh, there was enough of a serious tone to it that a random channel surfer would think it was a genuine, structured, if somewhat more youthful program. The two armchair setup and the darkened sets even had a level of classiness to it, comparable to Margaret and David on At the Movies.

Screen Play though, felt a bit too casual, and immature. Even to me, who knew what to expect when going in, kind of saw something a bit too immature in its structure and tone, so to some regular viewer or Channel Seven higher up, it just reinforced this opinion of gamers as slackers, leading to it being dumped. That or those reasons turning the audience off, losing ratings, leading to the axing.

I mean, probably.

Monty Burns

Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Postby jackharkness » Sat May 05, 2018 9:43 am

The sense I got was that Channel 7 hoped the show would generate a loyal audience through its multimedia reach for its minimal investiture, unfortunately that content was lackluster (if you were being kind), and if Sharkboi hadn't being regularly posting it here, if would of completely passed this once loyal GG viewer entirely.

Still, that's commercial TV, there are no guarantees.

Edit: Thinking about that as a strategy further, I would say it fails to appreciate the diverse age range of individuals into gaming. If the studies are to be believed that large 40+ audience want something entirely different from the 20+ audience. Terrestrial TV is mainly stuck with an older audience but desperately wants to target a younger cohort (because of their lack of brand loyalty). You suspect Channel 7 though a gaming show was a happy medium to target, unfortunately the strategy falls between two stools ultimately.

Itchy the Mouse

Sat May 05, 2018 9:43 am

Postby sharkboi » Sun May 06, 2018 11:34 am

Troy McLure

Sun May 06, 2018 11:34 am

Postby Damienpayne » Sun May 06, 2018 10:33 pm

I appreciate the civil and considered opinions and conversations put forward here.
Tbh I thought I might get shouted down for my opinion. But you lot did good by me.

This site is varying degrees celeb database, where are they now, Google search and a decent whack of page 3 girl photos. As for the breasts out and about, free to the air, dont worry about that. Good things come to those who wait. Besides, they're all good friends and will follow suit into twitchstreaming real soon.

Monty Burns

Sun May 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Postby sharkboi » Thu May 10, 2018 7:27 pm

M 1080x1350 322

Troy McLure

Thu May 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Postby Betelgeuse » Fri May 11, 2018 3:16 am

im assuming this thread will get quiet very quickly. hope you find another cool job soon, steph. we miss you.

Lionel Hutz

Fri May 11, 2018 3:16 am

Postby sharkboi » Fri May 11, 2018 12:13 pm

M 1080x864 231
M 1080x811 251

Troy McLure

Fri May 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Postby RDAK08 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 am

Hang on, are there less pages to this board than there were before? I thought we hit 200.

Monty Burns

Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 2551 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 256  Next