M 1080x1920 411
M 1080x1920 443
M 1080x1350 537
M 1080x1350 351

Lionel Hutz

Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:43 pm

Postby bettyblue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:37 pm

JustAFan wrote:
Looks like the Back Pocket project is dead, expect it to be cancelled by the end of the year as the patreon numbers bleed out.

Nichboy was booted off the show, there are interesting rumors about why. He was far from my favourite, but he was without any doubt the personality of the show.
Will doesn't belong in front of the screens, Gus/Goose is awkward, Peter/Pierreth has the personality of wet cardboard, and Steph is great but can't come close to making up for Nich's departure

Could you elaborate on the "interesting rumours"? I thought by now the reason would have leaked out but haven't heard anything and no one on discord seems willing to spill the goss. I sensed tension between Nich & Steph. She comes across as quite high maintenance and his loose humour and "over-excited puppy" energy seemed to annoy her. Could see her forcing a "him or me" ultimatum to the other guys, but maybe he left for a completely different reason? I'm surprised the show is still going - like you I expected it to fizzle out without Nich - he was hilarious. I haven't watched since he left.

M 1471x1498 29

Maggie's Pacifier

Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:37 pm

Postby batwoman2020 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:53 pm

:cool:

M 540x960 250

Todd Flanders

Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:53 pm

Postby Bandit90 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:43 am

bettyblue wrote:
JustAFan wrote:
Looks like the Back Pocket project is dead, expect it to be cancelled by the end of the year as the patreon numbers bleed out.

Nichboy was booted off the show, there are interesting rumors about why. He was far from my favourite, but he was without any doubt the personality of the show.
Will doesn't belong in front of the screens, Gus/Goose is awkward, Peter/Pierreth has the personality of wet cardboard, and Steph is great but can't come close to making up for Nich's departure

Could you elaborate on the "interesting rumours"? I thought by now the reason would have leaked out but haven't heard anything and no one on discord seems willing to spill the goss. I sensed tension between Nich & Steph. She comes across as quite high maintenance and his loose humour and "over-excited puppy" energy seemed to annoy her. Could see her forcing a "him or me" ultimatum to the other guys, but maybe he left for a completely different reason? I'm surprised the show is still going - like you I expected it to fizzle out without Nich - he was hilarious. I haven't watched since he left.

Yeah Nich quickly became my 2nd favourite (behind that maniac Bajo) once I got his sense of humour doing OG Pocket. I was a patreon pretty early on, but left pretty quickly too after the initial excitement wore off and the show settled into was what it was (and still is?) That online 'community' was also incredibly insular, which I always find funny considering how 'progressive' and 'inclusive' it prided itself on being, so it was pretty repellent to newcomers and it was obvious that they appeal to certain people, so it was always going to have a limited support base.

I think there was too many chefs spoiling the broth for it to be a long-term success, particularly when both Pete and Steph are there, it suddenly is only a 3 person team and they have more history with Gus so it was likely a case of when, not if for Nichy-boy.

Elizabeth Hoover

Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:43 am

Postby bettyblue » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:12 pm

Bandit90 wrote:
Yeah Nich quickly became my 2nd favourite (behind that maniac Bajo) once I got his sense of humour doing OG Pocket. I was a patreon pretty early on, but left pretty quickly too after the initial excitement wore off and the show settled into was what it was (and still is?) That online 'community' was also incredibly insular, which I always find funny considering how 'progressive' and 'inclusive' it prided itself on being, so it was pretty repellent to newcomers and it was obvious that they appeal to certain people, so it was always going to have a limited support base.

I think there was too many chefs spoiling the broth for it to be a long-term success, particularly when both Pete and Steph are there, it suddenly is only a 3 person team and they have more history with Gus so it was likely a case of when, not if for Nichy-boy.

I totally agree re: the clique-y vibe of the Back Pocket community. I was super excited when they announced Pocket was getting a reboot. The original was a highlight of my afternoons - I never missed an episode and enjoyed the low-budget, filmed-in-an-ABC-closet vibe. It felt like hanging out with mates after work/uni and just goofing around.

Back Pocket is very different. Too polished maybe? I don't know, it's just not the same, and the whole subscriber-only post-shows exclude young people without a way to sign up, or anyone who can't afford to subscribe. They also often reference in-jokes from the post-shows that make you feel you're not part of the "gang" if you're not a paying sub.

I realise they need to make a living but Hex seems to do a LOT of sponsored gigs (if her social media posts and red-bull-product-placements on Twitch streams are anything to go by) and Pete's an accomplished producer; I feel like they could have made Back Pocket more a fun side-project, accessible to everyone, without the emphasis on paywalls.

Bajo has shown that you can make plenty of money from streaming - he's doing VERY well for himself on Twitch, and there's no sub-only barriers; people subscribe because he's hilarious and they want to support him. Not that I think Hex could replicate his streaming success - she doesn't seem to enjoy engaging with Twitch chat like Bajo does.

The best Back Pocket episodes were during COVID where they couldn't film in the studio and it was just Nich streaming some puzzle game from home, talking crap and ordering donuts. I wonder what he's up to - he seems to have dropped completely off the radar. But I'm veering off topic. Suffice to say, Hex has her appeal, but she's no Nich.

Maggie's Pacifier

Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:12 pm

Postby Candylane » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:09 pm

bettyblue wrote:
Bandit90 wrote:

I totally agree re: the clique-y vibe of the Back Pocket community. I was super excited when they announced Pocket was getting a reboot. The original was a highlight of my afternoons - I never missed an episode and enjoyed the low-budget, filmed-in-an-ABC-closet vibe. It felt like hanging out with mates after work/uni and just goofing around.

Back Pocket is very different. Too polished maybe? I don't know, it's just not the same, and the whole subscriber-only post-shows exclude young people without a way to sign up, or anyone who can't afford to subscribe. They also often reference in-jokes from the post-shows that make you feel you're not part of the "gang" if you're not a paying sub.

Glad I wasn’t the only one. I thought it would die off after Nich left, too. I still watch occasionally, but definitely don't find it as enjoyable as the early days. I mainly watch the ‘What have y’all been playing?” segment and turn it off after that. Even then, I find it less entertaining or informative - Nich was always highlighting quirky/indie games that wouldn’t normally get my attention, leaving the others to talk about the more mainstream stuff.

I also found it very click-y. I thought I would be joining a welcoming community and make some new friends, but quickly learnt Patreon money talks.

But back to the the topic at hand - what happened to Nichboy??! I want the goss!

Maggie's Pacifier

Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:09 pm

Postby thatsformetoknow » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:56 am

IG story

M 720x1277 254

Monty Burns

Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:56 am

Postby harold578 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:15 pm

:smoke:

S 730x865 534
S 832x932 821

Elizabeth Hoover

Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:15 pm

Postby JustAFan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:38 am

bettyblue wrote:
JustAFan wrote:

No it was far more serious than that. They mentioned in the video where they booted Nichboy that lawyers were involved, I assume to legally remove him from the company?
I won't speculate on what I heard, because it's pretty nasty and I wouldn't want to spread it if it's false.

By the way, has anyone noticed that this video about nichboy being booted from the show has been deleted from Youtube? There's only one reason that would have happened IMO, a cease and desist letter about defaming or mentioning him. It was one of the first episodes of 2023.

bettyblue wrote:
Bandit90 wrote:

I realise they need to make a living but Hex seems to do a LOT of sponsored gigs (if her social media posts and red-bull-product-placements on Twitch streams are anything to go by) and Pete's an accomplished producer; I feel like they could have made Back Pocket more a fun side-project, accessible to everyone, without the emphasis on paywalls.

Bajo has shown that you can make plenty of money from streaming - he's doing VERY well for himself on Twitch, and there's no sub-only barriers; people subscribe because he's hilarious and they want to support him. Not that I think Hex could replicate his streaming success - she doesn't seem to enjoy engaging with Twitch chat like Bajo does.

The best Back Pocket episodes were during COVID where they couldn't film in the studio and it was just Nich streaming some puzzle game from home, talking crap and ordering donuts. I wonder what he's up to - he seems to have dropped completely off the radar. But I'm veering off topic. Suffice to say, Hex has her appeal, but she's no Nich.

I just hope that one day they realize what made Good Game so insanely popular.. a 30 minute show that was almost entirely about video game reviews, with an quick odd segment in between to break it up.
Now it's some weird variety show that goes on for 3-4 hours with guests that nobody cares knows or cares about. Who wants that? Who has time to watch that? The 200 people that tune in live I suppose is their core fan base.

Maybe they consider their show a success? After 3 years they don't even have 10,000 subs on YT and the average video has 1,800 views.. Pretty poor numbers considering how popular these guys used to be, and the numbers are clearly down since Nichboy departed.

Candylane wrote:
I also found it very click-y. I thought I would be joining a welcoming community and make some new friends, but quickly learnt Patreon money talks.

Everything was 'sold out', now there's plenty of slots free on the upper tiers. Based on 600 patrons that they make about $8k/mo, which is nice for some side money when split amongst the crew.

Selma Bouvier

Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:38 am

Postby JustAFan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:35 pm

Candylane wrote:
I still watch occasionally, but definitely don't find it as enjoyable as the early days. I mainly watch the ‘What have y’all been playing?” segment and turn it off after that. Even then, I find it less entertaining or informative - Nich was always highlighting quirky/indie games that wouldn’t normally get my attention, leaving the others to talk about the more mainstream stuff.

That's the exact same with me. That segment of the show is the only thing that resembles old GoodGame. The rest is like.. why bother?

Selma Bouvier

Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:35 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 2574 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 258  Next