AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Stargate: Atlantis 

Do you think Major Carter from SG:SG1 is a hotty?
Yes, she is my Goddess 89%  89%  [ 86 ]
No, Teal'c looks better actually 11%  11%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 97

Stargate: Atlantis 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:03 pm

WTF did they decide to put Stargate: Atlantis (a 5.1 high definition popular science fiction series) on SD & put that embarrassing, cringe worthy, pathetic, unentertaining, mindless poor man's version of The Panel & absolutely pointless piece of crap The Nightcap on the HD channel???!!!!!

Ned Flanders

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Postby jono2312 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:52 am

SKaVeN wrote:
WTF did they decide to put Stargate: Atlantis (a 5.1 high definition popular science fiction series) on SD & put that embarrassing, cringe worthy, pathetic, unentertaining, mindless poor man's version of The Panel & absolutely pointless piece of crap The Nightcap on the HD channel???!!!!!

I was watching that opening dog fight scene thinking damn this would look good on HD...

Maggie's Pacifier

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:52 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Last night was probably the most predictable episode they've ever done. That age old plot line of two long-time mortal enemies prisoners who have to learn to work together to escape from & defeat a mutual foe & along the way develop a greater understanding of each other...

Soon as you heard the mysterious voice in the opposite cell you knew it would be a Wraith & soon as it started sucking the life out of him you knew that he would reveal that he could give it all back right at the end (after the helped each other escape)...

A couple of other little things jarred a bit. A civilian scientist would not command a military unit assigned to retrieve a captured officer. I know its only a little thing that was main done as an opportunity for a bit of humour but normally this programme wouldn't do something like that. I think the writer wanted the day off...

Ned Flanders

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Postby Franger_Mat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:49 pm

I find Stargate Atlantis to be quite contrived, dull, predictable and grating. Unlike myself of course.

It just feels "off". Like you watch the original Stargate and that was a bit naff in places, but often at least watchable.

This one just feels like a badly written, poorly casted, creakily acted, cheap production.

And the characters. Dear God. Its like someone sat down with the teleplay for the original Stargate, and spilled coffee on it, and tried to make sense of it, and didn't quite get there.

Rod Flanders

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:13 pm

People very rarely seem to like spin-off series as much as the original but I like the concept & I think it has legs.

Ned Flanders

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:54 am

Carson's dead!!!!!!!!!! Image

Ned Flanders

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:54 am

Postby piggyboy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 am

Don't they like doctors in the stargateverse?
I think the doc played by Teryl Rothery was the only major character to die on SG1.

Ralph Wiggum

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 am

Postby SKaVeN » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:15 am

Well, Daniel did (in a manor of speaking).

I had a look on the Internet when I was still in shock after the episode finished last night & a lot of people are very, VERY angry they killed him off & it seems we haven't yet seen the end of Carson.

Ned Flanders

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:15 am

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:43 pm

I've had a few thoughts about the series & think I know a few ways that would improve the show.

More regular aliens! There only seems to be two being the Wraith & the Genii. There they are in another star constellation supposedly teaming with life forms that the Wraith feed on. They should introduce a few regular friendly races that they can trade, negotiate & set up diplomatic relations with. Elisabeth was given command of the base because of her diplomatic & negotiating abilities so I'd like to see more of that side of her character come into play. It'd be more interesting then seeing her staying behind on the base having everyone explain everything to her & telling people to come home safely all the time.

The real star of the show is easily the city itself. We're treated to several outside views of this massive & incredible city, but all we ever see are the same few rooms (the command centre, medical centre, canteen, gym, a couple of cabin quarters & a few corridors). Who knows what other wonders the writers could come up with in the rest of the city that was built by the Ancients. I'd like to see a few "ship in a bottle" stories & learn more about the city (which is probably more interesting then most of the planets they visit).

I'd like to see some members alien races that they befriended living or spending time on the base. The only two humans they seem to have are Ronon & Teyla (who are both basically humans anyway). I don't mind Ronon but Teyla bores me. In fact, her whole race bores me. If they killed her off it wouldn't have bothered me one bit but I'm still really pissed off they bumped off Carson! Having some aliens on the station would also work as a good catalyst to do some ship in a bottle stories & the writers could really show us what Elisabeth's character is made of!

Another little detail that I reckon would add to it is more characters from other countries. For an international operation, there certainly seems to be a lot of Americans & Canadians. Maybe they could have just some of the non-speaking background extras (even if they are Canadian & American) wearing different flags...

Last edited by SKaVeN on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Flanders

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Postby Kenny McCormick » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:51 am

I hear you, and agree with everything said.

A friend gave me a few rips from the Internet so I think I've seen everything up to half way through season 4 actually

(FYI the DVD set of season 2 is pretty hard to lay your hands on, season 3 is also available now)

Yes, unfortunately TV producers do seem to rip off movies quite a bit; perhaps it is recogition that they are working within a limited budget, or they are contractually obliged to develop (show case) the skills of the aspiring actors.... I believe this is a requirement of many government backed film production grants and tax write off schemes both here in AUS and Canada where I'm pretty sure the location shoots are made

It does get better; I wont wreck it for you but they do meet other Aliens that is for sure...

The episode that aired on Thursday night was pretty much a rip off from Aliens don't you think ?

Monty Burns

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:51 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next