AusCelebs Forums
https://forums.auscelebs.net/

Ringo's How to download stuff good and shit.
https://forums.auscelebs.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=23635
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ringofyre [ Sat Jun 20, 2026 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Ringo's How to download stuff good and shit.

Putting this here as it makes sense. I'm talking about the tools I use. There are others out there - if you know of something better/easier to use - pipe the fuck up!

Anything in asterisks or italics means it's probably my own experience or a caveat and actual results *may* vary per user.

Now for those of use without a tv capture card the biggest issue to cap stuff is probably

"Where to get it?"

Most of the free to air tv channels have sites you can go to which *mostly* allow you to use a downloader to get a local copy.

https://iview.abc.net.au/
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand
https://www.9now.com.au/
https://10.com.au/
https://7plus.com.au/shows

Some of them work better than others for downloading and others are a cat and mouse with the tv channels and downloader devs to block us.
There is of course good old youtube - search for the show and season/ep and *most* of them do get put there. Not to be relied upon tho. Tubi and stuff is similar.

A word of caution here - these days most of the free2air sites require you to login: if you're going to do a lot of downloading it's probably worth setting up a netrc file so you don't have to type in username/passwords every time. A bit of a learning curve but worth it in the long run.

TOOLS

To download videos I use yt-dlp which is the successor to youtube-dl for the oldies in the room!
It's a command line program to well...download videos. It runs on windows, mac and linux and is fairly solid and reliable. The git community is fairly active and the devs are generally fairly prompt in dealing with issues.
There is a bit of a learning curve if you *haven't* used the command line before but having used it for probably over 20 odd yrs I can attest it's worth it. A lot of my 14tb lan would agree!

My suggestion if you get stuck is to read the fucking manual. Still stuck - go back and read the fucking manual again.
There are online wizards and guis out there - I can't attest too them as I don't use them. Search "yt-dlp gui" etc.

To download picture sets I use gallery-dl - that's right, *another* command line tool.
Gallery-dl is great for getting picsets from a lot of websites. Not all of them porn! Again the learning curve may be steep if you're a noob but well worth the time taken to learn. gallery-dl is kinda related to yt-dlp so *some* of the syntax may be similar for switches. There are guis out there as well and again I wouldn't have a fucking clue about them.

Some honourable mentions -

Ripme - a java based downloader for *ahem* picture sets. Yeah - most of the sites it will rip are umm, nsfw. It's a good stopgap for some sites and does it's job fairly well without too much overhead (aside from having java installed which is fairly standard).

jdownloader2 - another java based downloader. A bit more bells and whistles/kitchen sink but another reliable stop gap if yt-dlp/gallery-dl don't work. I have linked to the adware free version. There IS a ver. that contains adware so be fore warned if you go looking yourself. The ver. I have linked *does* have banners but they are laughable easy to remove.

With both ripme and jdownloader I have used the jar file rather than executables - just personal preference. I run them by making a shortcut with

Code:
java -jar nameofthefileIwantotrun.jar


I also fairly extensively use wget2, curl and axel but not so much for tv movies. Most of the stuff I get to watch I get off usenet with nzbget or torrents.

You guys do you. Hope some of this helps, I'm happy to be led to something better and I'm happy to answer relevant questions. Have the least litigious pic of Rozz I could find.

Important to note: All of these tools are FREE. None of them have ever been paid-for. If someone's asking for money for them it's dodgy. The sites I have linked to are the official repositories and getting from them should give you secure, reliable downloads that don't cost.

EDIT: Thank you TooCool29 for the prompt - for those of you interested in more FREE shit look up freemediaheckyeah. Loads of stuff and it's all free!

Author:  ringofyre [ Sun Jun 21, 2026 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Ringo's How to download stuff good and shit.

The bad news...

As I mentioned with a lot of these downloaders it's basically a cat & mouse game between the site devs and tool devs where the site implements ways to stop bulk downloading and the downloader devs (and community) find a workaround.

Instagram is a perfect example - if you search "insta downloader" or similar you'll get millions of results. I guarantee you most of them no longer work and those that do probably won't work tomorrow. Insta seems to use a rolling regime of methods to stop you downloading users photos or albums. Logged in or not.
Gallery-dl used to work perfectly, then hit and miss and now just throws up errors. The same these days with x.com and reddit.

Generally if I want pics from there I'll go thru the site with my browser and download that way. For sites that try to disallow you to do that I use the most excellent search-by-image. A great reverse image search tool and the "Open Image" works on nearly every site. Time consuming: yes but well worth the time.

sbs seems to be another site lately that is stopping downloading with yt-dlp. The devs are working on it - which leads me to why I posted: if you are aufait with programming (particularly python) stop by their git sometime. See if there's something you could do a pr for. It's devs/users doing that that keeps the tools running which in turn gives us stuff to download and then post here!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/