...Tom Baker (The Fourth Doctor). 58%  58%  [ 32 ]
...Peter Davison (The Fifth Doctor). 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
...Colin Baker (The Sixth Doctor). 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
...Sylvester McCoy (The Seventh Doctor). 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 55

Dr Who (The Original Series) 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:57 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the ABC seems to be skipping all the Dalek stories? I wonder why... :confused:

PS: Discussion for "Doctor Who (The New Series)" can be located here: Doctor Who (The New Series)

Last edited by SKaVeN on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Ned Flanders

Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:57 pm

Postby Angus » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:49 am

SKaVeN wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the ABC seems to be skipping all the Dalek stories? I wonder why... :confused:

Daleks were always my favorites. The "flying" dalek in the new series was a bit dodgy I thought, but at least it kind of explains how they dealt with those pesky stairs :)

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:49 am

Postby SKaVeN » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:08 am

Webdork wrote:
SKaVeN wrote:

Daleks were always my favorites. The "flying" dalek in the new series was a bit dodgy I thought, but at least it kind of explains how they dealt with those pesky stairs :)

Ahhhhh... but you're forgetting the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) 1988 story "Remembrance of The Daleks" which featured the dalek levetation to cahse the Doctor up some (you guessed it) stairs!

In the sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) 1985 story "Revelation of The Daleks" Eric Saward's script also had a dalek levetation seen but, for some reason (probably budget) it didn't make it into the story.

One of my favourite cartoons was one in an old Punch magazine in my school library that had two daleks at the bottonm of a staircase & one saying to the other, "Well, so much for our plans of taking over the universe!" :lol:

Ned Flanders

Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:08 am

Postby Angus » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:24 am

>> Ahhhhh... but you're forgetting the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) 1988 story "Remembrance of The Daleks" which featured the dalek levetation to cahse the Doctor up some (you guessed it) stairs!

I dont remember this.

>> In the sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) 1985 story "Revelation of The Daleks" Eric Saward's script also had a dalek levetation seen but, for some reason (probably budget) it didn't make it into the story.

Nor this

>> One of my favourite cartoons was one in an old Punch magazine in my school library that had two daleks at the bottonm of a staircase & one saying to the other, "Well, so much for our plans of taking over the universe!" :lol

I remember this :)

Woo hoo - one from three.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:24 am

Postby SKaVeN » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:36 am

Webdork wrote:
>> Ahhhhh... but you're forgetting the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) 1988 story "Remembrance of The Daleks" which featured the dalek levetation to cahse the Doctor up some (you guessed it) stairs!

I dont remember this.

>> In the sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) 1985 story "Revelation of The Daleks" Eric Saward's script also had a dalek levetation seen but, for some reason (probably budget) it didn't make it into the story.

Nor this

>> One of my favourite cartoons was one in an old Punch magazine in my school library that had two daleks at the bottonm of a staircase & one saying to the other, "Well, so much for our plans of taking over the universe!" :lol

I can highly recommend checking out "Remembrance" if you haven't already seen it. I have it so know it's out on DVD. Great story!

Ned Flanders

Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:36 am

Postby trace » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 am

Webdork wrote:

I dont remember this.

It's at the end of part 2 from memory. Years before tom baker's doctor had taunted a dalek after easily escaping it by running up some stairs or being on a level above it.

As for the original question I thought it was odd, the only dalek episodes (from Tom Bakers doctor onwards) I don't have on DVD or VHS are destiny of the Daleks when I heard ABC were going to screen all of Who I planned on fixingthat :evil:

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 am

Postby SKaVeN » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:38 pm

trace wrote:
Webdork wrote:

I dont remember this.

It's at the end of part 2 from memory. Years before tom baker's doctor had taunted a dalek after easily escaping it by running up some stairs or being on a level above it.

Yep! I remember the scene you mean. It was in "Destiny of The Daleks" when the Doctor was looking down at them from a pit he just climbed out of on Skaro & said, "If you're the supreme rulers of the universe, why don't you come on up after me."

trace wrote:
As for the original question I thought it was odd, the only dalek episodes (from Tom Bakers doctor onwards) I don't have on DVD or VHS are destiny of the Daleks when I heard ABC were going to screen all of Who I planned on fixingthat :evil:

I am very curious to know why Aunty is doing this skipping the Dalek stories nonsense...

Ned Flanders

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Postby marlni » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:35 pm

SKaVeN wrote:
Webdork wrote:

I dont remember this.

Nor this

I can highly recommend checking out "Remembrance" if you haven't already seen it. I have it so know it's out on DVD. Great story!

"Remembrance" is, quite possibly, one of the best Doctor Who stories - it's such a pity, though, that key scenes were cut due to duration issues (the "More than a Time Lord" line is in one such scene). And not many people know about the levitation scene in "Remembrance" because almost everyone ditched Doctor Who by the mid-80s due to, mostly, Eric Saward and JNT (I didn't like them). But almost every fan would know the classic levitation scene, which was achieved with an empty Dalek case, a shopping trolley, some concrete stairs and three men with three pipes.

As for "Revelation", I do remember reading about that levitation scene, and Davros himself did get to levitate as he blew up someone's leg (or arm). It's very probable that they blew their budget on Davros's levitation, hence the lack of floating Daleks.

Monty Burns

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:35 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:57 pm

marlni wrote:
SKaVeN wrote:
Webdork wrote:

I dont remember this.

Nor this

"Remembrance" is, quite possibly, one of the best Doctor Who stories - it's such a pity, though, that key scenes were cut due to duration issues (the "More than a Time Lord" line is in one such scene). And not many people know about the levitation scene in "Remembrance" because almost everyone ditched Doctor Who by the mid-80s due to, mostly, Eric Saward and JNT (I didn't like them). But almost every fan would know the classic levitation scene, which was achieved with an empty Dalek case, a shopping trolley, some concrete stairs and three men with three pipes.

As for "Revelation", I do remember reading about that levitation scene, and Davros himself did get to levitate as he blew up someone's leg (or arm). It's very probable that they blew their budget on Davros's levitation, hence the lack of floating Daleks.

JNT! The man who (even by his own written admission) killed Dr Who! :lol:

Let's think of a few JNT cock-ups... Hmmmmm.... Having the Dr Who theme changed into what he called a "dance" theme, driving all the best writers away by vitoing their best scripts or having them change it from a good script to a bad one, going to writers meetings & telling them what he wants them to write (eg: "I want a scene with a statue of The Doctor. I don't care where or why, I just want one.") in the belief that he knew as much about crafting a story as they did - which in his case means stripping away all the narrative & character development.

He was instrumental in one act that was neccessary (although I didn't agree with at the time) & that was Tom Baker's resignation. It really had become the Tom Baker show in his last few years & he had become a screaming prima dona that no-one could bear to work with anymore. He wouldn't take direction, wouldn't stick to any of the scripted lines, insisted on doing all his own blocking in rehearsals, swearing at people, throwing scripts & props out of windows, etc.

Even Tom admists that his ego was out of control at the point & that he got what he deserved. I prefer his earlier work as the Doctor but that's because the producers kept his performance in check & didn't allow him to play the clown & make a mockery of it by messing about & upstaging the rest of the cast. I loved watching his antics in his last few seasons when I was a kid but I can see what they mean when I look back on them now.

He's still my favourite Doctor though. :)

Ned Flanders

Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:57 pm

Postby meperson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 am

I couldn't abide by the Sylvester McCoy era :lol:; more later.

Carl Carlson

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 238 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next