AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:11 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ] 
 My VPN trial 
Message Author

Postby sharkboi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:29 pm

How's the VPN trial going Humph?

On security matters, I've stumbled across a site which checks the SSL security of your browser, which people might be interested in.
https://www.howsmyssl.com/

Troy McLure

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:19 pm

sharkboi wrote:
How's the VPN trial going Humph?

Things are going well. Though I'd like it to be a bit faster, that's just me being picky: It doesn't interfere with me streaming HD video.
But reliability is good and the security seems to be rock solid. In summary I'd be happy to recommend PIA to anyone considering a VPN.

One thing that I've noticed, that is... shall we say, not "standard operational procedure".

PIA dynamically creates multiple randomly named sub directories under [USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp
In one of these directories there is an executable called rubyw.exe. This file cannot be deleted as it is running in memory.
Apparently this file is critical to the VPN, and needs to be created dynamically. I don't have problem with the explanation of why they are doing it this way, but I don't like stuff running from any of my temp directories. (It always makes me suspicious of attempts to crack into my system.) I always expect that I should be able to go to any of my temp directories, at any time, and delete everything contained within! It's a minor point, but I'd rather they created the file elsewhere rather than in a temp directory.

sharkboi wrote:
On security matters, I've stumbled across a site which checks the SSL security of your browser, which people might be interested in.

Thanks for the link, every little bit helps. :thumright:

Otto Man

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:19 pm

Postby sharkboi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:

sharkboi wrote:

Thanks for the link, every little bit helps. :thumright:

You bet, especially when things are only going to get worse.
Another thing I've discovered about having the VPN, is that when my ISP totally throttles Usenet to a stand still between 4pm - 11pm, I can download at full speed with the VPN running... :ohyes:

The only drawback with my VPN is that they seem to block using Torrents sometimes, so I do my Torrenting when I get up each day until my ISP's Peak period starts at midday, that way way I can spread the downloading between Peak and Off Peak so I don't piss the ISP too much.

Even though my NBN plan is unlimited, I try to keep to a limit of 30gig a day.

Troy McLure

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:58 pm

I don't really Torrent, as such. (I have once or twice, but not for sometime)

But when researching the TOR browser, I remember reading some cautionary words particularly relating to torrenting when using TOR.
I didn't pay much attention, as I didn't think it was relevant to me (and, though I have it installed, I don't use TOR now that I have PIA).

But here is a link to the Torguard page; it also refers to other types of VPN.
You may find it interesting, if you haven't already read it.

http://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

Otto Man

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:58 pm

Postby sharkboi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:06 am

I've been online since 1993, and have never torrented due to the insecurity of doing it, exposing your IP address and all the other issues I had with it.
But, since I got the VPN and it's their IP that is shown, and further setting up and checking other privacy issues within the browser, I've downloaded a couple of hard to find things I couldn't find anywhere else.

The fact that there is the minor issue with throttling during certain hours doesn't bother me.

Troy McLure

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:06 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Something that irks me: Sometimes I get allocated an IP that has been "abusive". i.e. some has previously used this IP to do "bad" things.
It results in some websites referring me to captcha tests etc, or limiting my access.
Does this happen to anyone else, or should I complain?

It feels like I've just bought some new underpants, tried them on, and then found out they're second hand. eeeewww! :yikes:

Otto Man

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:07 pm

I got sick of the slowness of ZenMate so switched to AnonymoX which was a little faster but still very slow and kept badgering me to upgrade to the paid version. I also had the same issue that Humpy had but only when trying to access this site. Last night I changed again to CyberGhost which has been a lot better so far...

http://uk.pcmag.com/software/4328/guide ... s-for-2015

Ned Flanders

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Postby sharkboi » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:58 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:
Something that irks me: Sometimes I get allocated an IP that has been "abusive". i.e. some has previously used this IP to do "bad" things.
It results in some websites referring me to captcha tests etc, or limiting my access.

It feels like I've just bought some new underpants, tried them on, and then found out they're second hand. eeeewww! :yikes:

I get that too, some sites don't like accepting visitors through a VPN, I get this (image) when going to my ISP thread at Whirlpool, have to bypass the VPN to get in...

S 738x247 269

Troy McLure

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:30 pm

SKaVeN wrote:
I got sick of the slowness of ZenMate so switched to AnonymoX which was a little faster but still very slow and kept badgering me to upgrade to the paid version. I also had the same issue that Humpy had but only when trying to access this site. Last night I changed again to CyberGhost which has been a lot better so far...

http://uk.pcmag.com/software/4328/guide ... s-for-2015

Well, so much for CyberGhost. It seems that either the government or my ISP (because of the government) has blocked it. Insofar as I know, it is not illegal to use an ISP so f*ck you nanny-government!

EDIT: I found out a way to get CyberGhost to connect. Turn on AnonymoX and then run CyberGhost. When it connects, turn AnonymoX off. It's worth doing because CyberGhost is a lot faster than AnonymoX.

Ned Flanders

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Postby sharkboi » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:

Not only problems with the VPN either!!

6 months ago I got 100/40 NBN connected, which means disconnection from the old ADSL2, which means a new IP address, I was really pissed off when I checked the new IP for misuse and found that the last person who had it had used it for torrenting! so I haven't got a clean IP address... :evil:

The site to check your IP for misuse is...
http://scaneye.net/

M 1366x768 286

Troy McLure

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ]