AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Need help capping 
Message Author

Postby atefooterz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Sad news X :mad: at least water has not washed everything away at your place . good luck man :yes:

Santa's Little Helper

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

Postby rockcake » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Just a little tip for other noob-cappers like me: VLC is free, will play just about anything (video or music), is a 20 MB download and has a 'snapshot' function. I'm sure it does lots more than that too, but what I've listed is enough for me to like it, use it and contribute to this fine site - and you can too! :grin:

Itchy the Mouse

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Postby atefooterz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 am

watch VLC vid & hit pause .... right click anywhere in picture box appears then click in video ..look for snapshot & click.
Pic will be usually in My Pictures , possible jpeg change from png may reduce file size by up to 30% of original witjout apparent loss.

M 1024x600 257
L 1024x576 258

Santa's Little Helper

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 am
Profile WWW

Postby rockcake » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 am

IIRC the default keyboard shortcut for 'snapshot' function in VLC is Shift-S. Of course you can customise lots of things like that if you want to, too.

Itchy the Mouse

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Dammit! :mad:

Last night I trod on my USB Tv Tuner! Needless to say, it didn't like it.

So today I ordered a Dvico Dual HD PCI card (just like yours, Atefooterz :wink: ) which I will pick up tomorrow.

Otto Man

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Postby Battlemonster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:57 am

Attempt to xap with a Viera plasma- Almost impossible. Sure it records to a hdd no worries but do you think you can watch it on a pc. Not likely! Not unless your running Linux (to much for me to take on)
Made the mistake of formatting my largest hdd via the TV in preparation to record and cap. Only to discover that once done it's unreadable with Windows.
Had to go into dos to "clean" it, then use a partition manager to identify, rename and format it back into service as an external drive.
The blasted "top of the line" "smart TV" doesn't even have an AV line-out!
Just going to have to photograph the screen.
Laptop might be a bit old for a HD pvr card. Looking into it. :cofee:

Comic Book Guy

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:57 am

Postby sharkboi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Battlemonster wrote:
Attempt to xap with a Viera plasma- Almost impossible. Sure it records to a hdd no worries but do you think you can watch it on a pc. Not likely! Not unless your running Linux (to much for me to take on)
Made the mistake of formatting my largest hdd via the TV in preparation to record and cap. Only to discover that once done it's unreadable with Windows.
Had to go into dos to "clean" it, then use a partition manager to identify, rename and format it back into service as an external drive.
The blasted "top of the line" "smart TV" doesn't even have an AV line-out!
Just going to have to photograph the screen.
Laptop might be a bit old for a HD pvr card. Looking into it. :cofee:

I record to a large HDD via my STB USB port, it records .ts files which are MPEG files in a TS container.
Then I plug the drive into a PC USB port and I can play the .ts files with VLC and do my capping.

What is the extension of the recorded files you have?
I'd be very surprised if there isn't a way to see them on your PC, most recorders record to a FAT32 format drive, you shouldn't be having any problems seeing them on your PC.

Troy McLure

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Postby Battlemonster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm

My "old" LED recorded onto a hdd via usb in the .ts extension that I could play with VLC, but not this blasted Viera plasma. It formats the entire hdd into something unreadable.
I am looking into either a usb HD tuner/recorder (cheap on ebay) or getting hold of a cheap HD set-top box and connecting via AV cables to a usb "video to dvd" converter (that I already own) inserted directly in my laptop. Am leaning towards the first option. Less cross tech complications. :neutral:

Comic Book Guy

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Postby narly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Battlemonster wrote:

Yeah I've heard that if you format or plug a hdd into a tv or stb before initializing it in your pc strange things happen . Have you tried looking for a Panasonic Viera forum ?

Troy McLure

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Postby sharkboi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Battlemonster wrote:
My "old" LED recorded onto a hdd via usb in the .ts extension that I could play with VLC, but not this blasted Viera plasma. It formats the entire hdd into something unreadable.
I am looking into either a usb HD tuner/recorder (cheap on ebay) or getting hold of a cheap HD set-top box and connecting via AV cables to a usb "video to dvd" converter (that I already own) inserted directly in my laptop. Am leaning towards the first option. Less cross tech complications. :neutral:

I have two of these...
http://www.strongshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ProductID=49
There are more advanced models available these days so Strong AU are selling them off for only $30
If you want something more advanced. check out their other models.

I know some other cappers prefer PC cards or tuners etc, but I have an 8yr old WIN XP PC which can't handle too much, and cards cost a lot more, so this is a nice cheap easy and satisfactory alternative for me.

It records to TS files.

Troy McLure

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 66 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next