AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:34 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 7 posts ] 
 computer problem 
Message Author

Postby christelvr69 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi everyone,

i have a lady i work with, her daughters computer was having problems and i was trying to help fix it.

Her pc uses Windows XP Home Edition

when windows boots it comes up with the following message:

"windows cannot start because C:/windows/system/ is corrupted" (or it may be system32 i cannot remember the exact message.
i chucked in the xp disc and attempted to do a repair of the installation but because it cannot detect the installation as a "windows xp" it will not let me automatically recover it. i thought it may have been the boottable or Master Boot Record. but it seems the installation is corrupted. i would have easily done a format and reinstall but she hadent backed up and her files and therefore wants the data. i also tried to reinstall windows on a seperate partition but there was not enough space to create another partiton (i know you need about a GB or so of space). anyone know of a way to repair windows with the command line recovery console?

ps she has heaps of hot single friends she could introduce me to so im making some extra effort here!

thanks,

Kane

Monty Burns

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 am

Have you tried booting up in safe mode? You may be able to backup her data from there and then do a clean install.

Carl Carlson

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 am

Postby sharkboi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:08 am

If nothing works to fix it, you may be able to put the drive in your pc as a slave and get the all data you can find that may be wanted, and write it to a DVD for them, then a format and a nice fresh install.

Troy McLure

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:08 am

Postby SKaVeN » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:43 pm

A couple of things I do when I get weird shit like that is press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get the task box & if there's any files I don't recognise I look them up on Google to see it they're viruses.

Another thing is to click START - RUN & in that box type "msconfig" (without the quotations), click the Startup tab & look through & see if there's any weird shit selected that may be causing it. Try deselecting some of the ones you don't need & rebooting as a process of elimination type thing.

Failing that...

I've had problems like that with a couple of computers & found out the best way to resolve it.

There's a site called Tech Guy like this one only the members & mods are computer techies.

Start a thread there describing the problem. Someone there will probably tell you to run HijackThis (a handy free little programme) & post the log & look through & tell you exactly what you need to do.

They've sorted me out a few times.

There's another place called Bleeping Computer that looks pretty much the same but I've never tried that one.

Good luck! :wink:

Ned Flanders

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Postby christelvr69 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:18 pm

thanks guys,

i will try your suggestions.

btw i told her mum "maybe she can hook me up with her friends" and she goes "yeah shes got heaps! heres her 18th photo..and most of them are still single" lol
(im only 22)...but yeah i did suggest to her that i could put it in another computer and copy the whole hard drive to another one.

its just annoying that it doesnt recognise windows properly, otherwise i would have done the repair to the installation.

Monty Burns

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Postby RustyNail » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:29 am

Try safe mode, then restore to a time when it worked fine that she remembers.

Else... Boot up with the Windows XP Disc. Once in, restore the the earlier date/point. If not, boot up with it and select "repair".

Jimbo Jones

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:29 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 am

Sounds a bit like a registry issue to me. Worth giving this article a shot: How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Otto Man

Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 7 posts ]