AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:44 pm



Reply to topic 
 [ 18 posts ] 
 Best PVR 
Message Author

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm


Well, I decided to go with this:

Panasonic Blu-ray Recorder with 2TB Triple Tuner PVR & 4K Upscaling
MODEL: DMR-BWT955GL

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/panasonic-blu-ray-recorder-with-2tb-triple-tuner-pvr-4k-upscaling

Has some very fancy specs, so now let's see whether Panasonic has improved over the years.


Otto Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 750
Karma: 78.48 (587 thanks)
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm
Profile

Postby rollies » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:05 pm


HumphreyBBear wrote:
Well, I decided to go with this:

Panasonic Blu-ray Recorder with 2TB Triple Tuner PVR & 4K Upscaling
MODEL: DMR-BWT955GL

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/panasonic-blu-ray-recorder-with-2tb-triple-tuner-pvr-4k-upscaling

Has some very fancy specs, so now let's see whether Panasonic has improved over the years.


I have this unit and I bought it in 2016, it was an impressive machine but within a year had tuner issues would not recognise channels and would not record, had sent it to a repair shop "as under warranty" after repairs it worked ok for awhile, and now for the last couple of years it has been playing up there is no updates for the unit anymore, as I seem to have the latest which was downloaded years ago, I contacted Panasonic for the latest update for the Netflix App years ago and Nah not available?? So really cannot use that, I don't know why? I often and mean Often have to reset the unit back to Shipping Condition "Because it just freaks out" which means setting it all up again, it will not allow me to do a full/Hard reset of the unit???? but hey if they are still available and are selling, maybe they have updated the unit, I also purchased mine at JB-HIFI, This is why I want to upgrade but am struggling to find an all round unit that does what this unit does?? Anyways that has been my experience....


1
Elizabeth Hoover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm
Posts: 144
Karma: 75.69 (109 thanks)
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:05 pm
Profile

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:12 am


Thanks for relaying you experience.

I was disappointed with my previous Panasonic unit failing, but I concede that it was 5 years old and given the pace of technology, maybe that was it's shelf life.

I admit, the tech specs convinced me to go for the DMR-BWT955GL, and I also hope that Panasonic have lifted their game.

I guess I will find out shortly.


Otto Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 750
Karma: 78.48 (587 thanks)
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:12 am
Profile

Postby rollies » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:35 am


HumphreyBBear wrote:
Thanks for relaying you experience.

I was disappointed with my previous Panasonic unit failing, but I concede that it was 5 years old and given the pace of technology, maybe that was it's shelf life.

I admit, the tech specs convinced me to go for the DMR-BWT955GL, and I also hope that Panasonic have lifted their game.

I guess I will find out shortly.


Hey the Specs are perfect for what I wanted too, that's why I bought it, I just hope that they "Panasonic" have upgraded the unit, What I find strange is that it's the very same model Number and not upgraded to a different Number as by the years gone by, anyways,, You go Bro, I seriously hope you have a better run than I did, and if so please share, because it really does have the gift, when it works, Please just tell me how you go with Netflix and updates, Cheers


1
Elizabeth Hoover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm
Posts: 144
Karma: 75.69 (109 thanks)
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:35 am
Profile

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:16 am


Quote:
Please just tell me how you go with Netflix and updates


Will do. :thumleft:

Oh, BTW I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on that.


1
Otto Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 750
Karma: 78.48 (587 thanks)
Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:16 am
Profile

Postby rollies » Fri May 26, 2023 11:49 pm


HumphreyBBear wrote:
Quote:
Please just tell me how you go with Netflix and updates


Will do. :thumleft:

Oh, BTW I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on that.


Hey HumphreyBBear, did you end up getting the Panasonic Triple Tuner DMR-BWT955GL?? And if so how's it going? and what are your thoughts, Just Curious as it has been awhile with no updates?

Cheers


Elizabeth Hoover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm
Posts: 144
Karma: 75.69 (109 thanks)
Fri May 26, 2023 11:49 pm
Profile

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sat May 27, 2023 3:55 am


Yes, I did.

I forked out for the extra $119.70 for the extra (JB) warranty.

Partly, because of your comments, but also because it was the remote on my original machine that started to fail.
With this extra warranty, if ANY component fails, it's literally a store swap-over, for the next two years.

The remote seems eerily similar to my original one, which doesn't fill me with confidence, but it's working well, so far.

The setup was a breeze: I guess because all the DLNA stuff was mostly in place, so once I had it hooked up to my wifi, it all just worked.

I test drove the DVD player the other day, and that worked. I don't own any Blu-Ray, so I've yet to test it fully, and I yet to record anything onto a removable disk.

So far, it's doing an excellent job.

One thing I noticed is that to transfer recordings from HDD to my PC seems to be a bit faster, but my new PC could be influencing that.

Oh, and I haven't yet got around to setting up watching videos on my PC using the PVR, but it's a low priority.

Here's hoping things keep going well. :cheerstothat:


1
Otto Man
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 750
Karma: 78.48 (587 thanks)
Sat May 27, 2023 3:55 am
Profile

Postby rollies » Sat May 27, 2023 3:25 pm


HumphreyBBear wrote:
Yes, I did.

I forked out for the extra $119.70 for the extra (JB) warranty.

Partly, because of your comments, but also because it was the remote on my original machine that started to fail.
With this extra warranty, if ANY component fails, it's literally a store swap-over, for the next two years.

The remote seems eerily similar to my original one, which doesn't fill me with confidence, but it's working well, so far.

The setup was a breeze: I guess because all the DLNA stuff was mostly in place, so once I had it hooked up to my wifi, it all just worked.

I test drove the DVD player the other day, and that worked. I don't own any Blu-Ray, so I've yet to test it fully, and I yet to record anything onto a removable disk.

So far, it's doing an excellent job.

One thing I noticed is that to transfer recordings from HDD to my PC seems to be a bit faster, but my new PC could be influencing that.

Oh, and I haven't yet got around to setting up watching videos on my PC using the PVR, but it's a low priority.

Here's hoping things keep going well. :cheerstothat:


That's Great News, This Unit has the ability to view and connect remotely, but I have just seen that they are no longer goung to support this feature, I have attached a PDF I don't know if it will work to this site when I upload it, But overall It is good machine I hope you have a better run than I did, Cheers

M 1714x1285 31
M 2067x1550 28


1
Elizabeth Hoover
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm
Posts: 144
Karma: 75.69 (109 thanks)
Sat May 27, 2023 3:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 18 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.