Reply to topic 
 [ 226 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Jelena Dokic 
Message Author

Postby sharkboi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 am

:sad:

Jelena Dokic in tears after missing Wimbledon qualification

THIS is the moment Jelena Dokic confronted the brutal reality of tennis oblivion.

Distraught after blowing certain victory with catastrophic serving in the second round of Wimbledon qualifying, Dokic dissolved into tears as her career plunged deeper into freefall.

The former world No. 4 held a match point against American scrapper Julie Ditty in the second set before crashing to a humiliating 5-7 7-5 6-2 defeat.

Dokic served 24 double faults - including five in the fifth game of the final set - to totally lose her way.

Now ranked 129th in the world, Dokic trudged forlornly to the middle of the Bank Of England's cricket ground and sat alone sobbing after the match.

She called to her boyfriend Tin Bikic, who had stalked away from Dokic's court as soon as the match was over.

He walked back over to Dokic before the pair - speaking Croatian - began to argue.

Asked about her future as rumours of retirement against resurfaced, Dokic said: "Nothing. I've got nothing."

Joined soon after by an unidentified man, believed to be younger brother Savo, Dokic stood briefly outside a locked prizemoney office.

Her latest defeat is the low point of a troubled year which saw her infamous father Damir jailed for threatening to bomb the Australian embassy in Belgrade.

She was severely embarrassed by an incident involving Bikic and his brother, Borna, on a flight from Hobart to Melbourne in January when the pair became involved in a heated argument with another passenger.

The dispute threatened Dokic's $1 million sponsorship deal with Jetstar.

Sidelined for two months with elbow and leg injuries, podgy Dokic has won only $66,264 from nine tournaments this season.

Her career earnings - which do not include sponsorship deals - stand at $4.1 million.

She picked up $6000 from Wimbledon qualifying.

The baseliner's current ranking means she is unable to gain automatic entry into grand slam or top level Sony Ericsson WTA Tour events.

Dokic said on Tuesday she would concentrate on lower tier European claycourt events.

"I've still got a lot of work to do to get my fitness back," said Dokic, who is several kilograms heavier than her ideal playing weight.

"It is tough, but I'm prepared to do the hard work.

"Clay is the best surface for me to work on my game."

Dokic held a match point in the 10th game of the second set today as Ditty served to stay in the match at 4-5, but missed the opportunity.

The right-hander served four double faults in the following game to gift Ditty a lifeline.

Dokic, 27, appeared to regroup early in the third set with a 2-0 lead but then imploded on serve.

Dokic's current plight is light years removed from her Cinderella run to the Australian Open quarter-finals last year.

And her defeat at Roehampton could not have been more poignant, coming exactly 10 years after she stormed into the Wimbledon semi-finals.

Her demise came as Bernard Tomic, Matt Ebden and Carsten Ball all reached the final round of Wimbledon qualifying.

Tomic was too polished for French eighth seed Edouard Roger-Vasselin 6-1 7-6 (7-4).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/doki/ ... 5880695322

S 316x421 487

Troy McLure

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 am

Postby sharkboi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Bit of a Jelena drought lately, so here's an animated Gif...

L 412x360 483

Troy McLure

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Postby sharkboi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Some good news at last...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dokic wins second straight tournament

A resurgent Jelena Dokic is riding a 10-match winning streak after claiming a second-straight Challenger title in Bucharest.

Dokic edged out Czech Zuzana Ondraskova 3-6 6-1 7-6 (7-3) in the final of the $US75,000 ($A82,750) second-tier clay-court event.

The victory pushed Dokic to the cusp of the world top 100, although it came too late for her to claim direct entry into the upcoming US Open, as the cut-off was made two weeks ago.

However the former world No.4's hot recent run of form puts her right in contention for Tennis Australia's (TA) discretionary wildcard.

Four Australian women gained direct entry to the final grand slam event of the year - Samantha Stosur, Anastasia Rodionova, Jarmila Groth and Alicia Molik - with either Dokic or Sophie Ferguson likely to be given the TA wildcard.

The only two Australian men ranked high enough to qualify automatically are Lleyton Hewitt and Peter Luczak.

Since bowing out in the second round of Wimbledon qualifying to American Julie Ditty, the 27-year-old Dokic has won back-to-back second-tier tournaments in Contrexeville, France and Bucharest.

But Dokic has won only three main-draw matches at WTA level since her emotion-charged run to the 2009 Australian Open quarter-finals.

She lost in the first round at both Melbourne Park and Roland Garros this year.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 112uo.html

Troy McLure

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Postby sharkboi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Some more good Jelena news... :ohyes:
---------------------------------------
DOKIC AND RAZZANO ADVANCE TO WOMEN'S FINAL VANOPEN
VANCOUVER -- Australia's Jelena Dokic rallied to defeat American Irina Falconi 6-7, 6-2, 6-3 on Saturday to advance to the women's singles final at the Odlum Brown VanOpen tennis tournament.

The fourth-seeded Dokic will face France's Virginie Razzano in Sunday's final after the sixth seed ousted Christina McHale of the U.S. 7-5, 6-3.

Both women's semifinals were forced indoors because of day long rain and the rest of Saturday's schedule -- including both men's semi-finals -- was postponed until Sunday.

The men's and women's doubles finals were also rescheduled.

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=329895

Troy McLure

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Postby sharkboi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm

:ohyes:
Dokic wins tournament in Canada
Jelena Dokic has continued her purple patch of form, winning a third straight Challenger tournament.

Less than a month out from the US Open, the former world No.4 is riding a 15-match winning streak after hammering Frenchwoman Virginie Razzano 6-1 6-4 in the final of the $US175,000 ($A190,300) Vancouver Open in Canada.

Dokic, 27, also won her previous two events on the second tier Challenger circuit, in Contrexeville, France and Bucharest.

On arrival in Vancouver, Dokic paid tribute to her new coach Glen Schaap, who replaced Borna Bikic a few months ago.

"Glen has changed a few of my strokes, tried to shorten them up a bit," she said.

"But he and I have been working mostly on my fitness.

"When you're winning and get to play a lot of matches that's a big help.

"There's nothing like being match fit."

With every victory, Dokic makes an increasingly compelling case to be granted Tennis Australia's discretionary wildcard for the US Open starting on August 30.

The only four women ranked high enough to gain direct entry to the final grand slam event of the year are Samantha Stosur, Anastasia Rodionova, Jarmila Groth and Alicia Molik.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 11tef.html

Troy McLure

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Postby sharkboi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Tomic & Dokic frustrated by rain
August 26, 2010 - 1:29PM
Rain has washed out scheduled US Open first-round qualifying matches for Australian tennis pair Jelena Dokic and Bernard Tomic.
Dokic and Tomic must now return to Flushing Meadows to try to win three matches in two days to make the main draw for the final grand slam of the year.
But Sally Peers managed to beat the rain on Wednesday as well as fellow Australian Olivia Rogowska 6-4 6-4 to reach the second round of women's qualifying.
The tournament proper starts on Monday (Tuesday AEST).

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... 13tbx.html

Troy McLure

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Postby sharkboi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Laura Robson beats Jelena Dokic in US Open qualifier - :sad:
British teenager Laura Robson stunned former world number four Jelena Dokic with a 6-1 6-4 victory in the opening round of qualifying for the US Open.

Dokic came into the match on a 15-match winning streak but Robson dominated the Australian to win in exactly an hour.

The Australian former Wimbledon semi-finalist had won three successive Challenger titles coming into qualifying for Flushing Meadows and appeared to be revelling under the guidance of experienced Dutch coach Glen Schaap.

But Robson was all over the 27-year-old's serve and broke three times before wrapping up the opening set in 23 minutes.

The second set was a more even affair and Robson had to save break points in game three before making her move in game four and holding her nerve to serve out the match.

The Londoner finished with 11 aces to Dokic's two, 10 winners to her opponent's two and just four unforced errors to the Australian's 10.

"I'm very happy with the way that I performed today," Robson told the LTA website.

"I knew it was going to be a tough match as Jelena is a great player and has won the last three tournaments that she has played - she's also a good friend of mine. I'm very pleased to be through to the second round."

Troy McLure

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Postby sharkboi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Dokic through to final
Jelena Dokic is a step closer to winning a place in next month's Australian Open after crushing Alicia Molik in the semi-finals of the wildcard playoff at Melbourne Park on Saturday.

Dokic broke twice to secure the first set and carried her momentum into the second to wrap up the 6-3 6-1 victory.

Both players had to contend with Melbourne's unpredictable weather with rain delaying the start and forcing the players off the court in the second set when Dokic was leading 2-1.

The former world No.4 will play Olivia Rogowska in the final after she defeated Sophie Ferguson 7-6 6-4.

Molik now must rely on one of the discretionary wildcards to get into the main draw of the Australian Open or else she'll have to win her way through qualifying.

On the men's side of the draw, top seed Peter Luczak faces Matthew Ebden, while in the other semi-final Marinko Matosevic will play Adam Feeney.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article ... 53663&vId=

S 674x734 199

Troy McLure

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Postby activate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 pm

nice

Last edited by activate on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Snowball

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Postby locky1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 am

MArvellous collection that :ohyes:

Ned Flanders

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 226 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next