AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 54 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice referendum 

How will you be voting in the upcoming Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice referendum?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:11 pm
Undecided 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
Firm Yes 33%  33%  [ 70 ]
Undecided Yes 5%  5%  [ 10 ]
Firm No 54%  54%  [ 113 ]
Undecided No 5%  5%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 211

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice referendum 
Message Author

Postby phunkyfeelone » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:48 pm

Hawz wrote:
This is a pointless poll, people will vote along their political party lines because no one has a brain outside that as Phunkyfeelone just proved. Rabid anti Daniel Andrews is why he's voting no and the rest of the "points" don't actually matter.

Not true, I know right leaning people voting yes, and left keaners voting no.

Apart from my obvious dislike for Dan Andrews, my other points stand.

Tell us how the inVoice will improve the lives of a select group of citizens that an existing Minister, hundreds of panels and around $40b of funding can't do already?

Martin Prince

Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:48 pm

Postby wolverine » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:38 am

My view is these people were dispossessed with the arrival of colonists. The high court agreed (Mabo decision) and rendered terra nullius a legal fiction.

To those not having been impacted by any similar events in their history, this can be a real challenge to understand. Their way of life was usurped and changed forever, their cultural heritage dehuminised and in many cases destroyed. That is the major reason (and by no means the only one) why we all are in the current predicament. We don't need to take the blame for the past wrongs but we can accept that they were wrong and move on.

Saying sorry 15 years ago didn't bring the sky crashing down and I doubt the Voice will either. Their elders have come together and are suggesting the way forward they feel will help. They are asking nicely, we have to be understanding of their reasoning. The decision process was transparent, it was debated in the open by many different indigenous groups and a mostly unanimous decision was made. I don't feel the Voice will impact anyone's life other than theirs and do so in a positive way. Other countries such as Canada have similar laws with indigenous peoples like Inuits and it seems to work well - it allows everyone some basic level of dignity and recognition of what happened in the past and sets a roadmap for the future.

Capo Bastone

Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:38 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 am

phunkyfeelone wrote:
Do you genuinely think that right leaning people will be selected?

ALP will set up the first panel, then leave it to the panel to add new members.
And they won't pick anyone who doesn't fit the agenda.

You didn't answer my question: Are all aboriginals left wing?

Then, you go on to say that "the panel" itself will add new members. How do you know that?
I haven't seen anything to suggest that "the panel" will not be elected by the wider aboriginal community.

Otto Man

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 am

Postby phunkyfeelone » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:28 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:
phunkyfeelone wrote:
Do you genuinely think that right leaning people will be selected?

ALP will set up the first panel, then leave it to the panel to add new members.
And they won't pick anyone who doesn't fit the agenda.

You didn't answer my question: Are all aboriginals left wing?

Then, you go on to say that "the panel" itself will add new members. How do you know that?
I haven't seen anything to suggest that "the panel" will not be elected by the wider aboriginal community.

That's part of the issue - there is no detail.

No, not all aboriginals are left wing, but the ones that will be selected (not elected) will be.

What has Linda Burnley done? As Minister for Indigenous Affairs she is supposed to represent "her people", instead she swans around in designer gear telling everyone how oppressed she us.

Martin Prince

Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:28 pm

Postby modecko » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:47 pm

There is detail. This no detail has been a deceptive point made by Peter Dutton and taken up by the right-wing media that has grown to be one of the excuses used by mostly the right not to vote NO. The fact is no matter what detail is provided they will still vote NO and constantly say there is not enough detail.
What most don't realise this has been an L-NP initiative and their current position is the same as the government except for enshrining it in the constitution.

Judge Roy Snyder

Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:47 pm

Postby phunkyfeelone » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:21 am

modecko wrote:
There is detail. This no detail has been a deceptive point made by Peter Dutton and taken up by the right-wing media that has grown to be one of the excuses used by mostly the right not to vote NO. The fact is no matter what detail is provided they will still vote NO and constantly say there is not enough detail.
What most don't realise this has been an L-NP initiative and their current position is the same as the government except for enshrining it in the constitution.

And to that point no matter how little detail is provided, you'll still vote yes.

Dutton is a peanut for the record, I don't care what his position is.

I'm all for recognition, but the Voice panel is nonsensical. We can listen now, but I don't want to hear from the ATSI elite. As taxpayers, we're not here to just pay the way.

Why is there a life expectancy difference? It's statistical, many die young which pulls down the average.
Why do they die? Doesn't rake constitutional change to address these issues, what it takes is actual actual rather than endless ATSI elite slush funds that do nothing.

Martin Prince

Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:21 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:43 am

phunkyfeelone wrote:

So, you concede that your reference to "the panel itself will add new members" was just crap that you made up; since, as you say, "there is no detail".
Then you go on, once again, to add more bullshit by saying "but the ones that will be selected (not elected) will be"

If "there is no detail", then how can you say that???

By all means debate the issue, but don't just make up crap. :cofee:

Otto Man

Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:43 am

Postby phunkyfeelone » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:07 am

HumphreyBBear wrote:
phunkyfeelone wrote:

So, you concede that your reference to "the panel itself will add new members" was just crap that you made up; since, as you say, "there is no detail".
Then you go on, once again, to add more bullshit by saying "but the ones that will be selected (not elected) will be"

Ignoring the insults above. That's how the left work, in the absence of a plan, just throw insults to label any opposition.
Right out of the ALP playbook, you're a good soldier.

What has Linda Burnley done as Minister? It's literally her job to listen to her community and develop strategy.
How will "the Voice" address issues?
If we're not having a general election to select panel members, then they must be selected by peers - selected, not elected. No crap, just fact.

Martin Prince

Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:07 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:41 am

phunkyfeelone wrote:
HumphreyBBear wrote:
phunkyfeelone wrote:

Ignoring the insults above. That's how the left work, in the absence of a plan, just throw insults to label any opposition.
Right out of the ALP playbook, you're a good soldier.

What has Linda Burnley done as Minister? It's literally her job to listen to her community and develop strategy.
How will "the Voice" address issues?
If we're not having a general election to select panel members, then they must be selected by peers - selected, not elected. No crap, just fact.

What insults? :roll:

Otto Man

Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:41 am

Postby Tombslayer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:45 am

Did Albo really just says "No I have read the 26 pages, why should I".

Bernice Hibbert

Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:45 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 54 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next