AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 2 posts ] 
 is Real People Victoria Pty Ltd in Melbourne safe? 
Message Author

Postby IcedBaby » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:19 pm

so i recently started to apply for a bunch of part time jobs on seek and such (19 y/o male with no experience). I really didn't have much expectations but i was recently contacted by Real People Victoria Pty Ltd about movie extras roles i think the job was for, but due to my lack of experience i felt the need to remain on my feet and started investigating on the internet and whilst a majority claim it to be a great place i cant help but feel they were forced/did it because there working for them, while the people that rate it lowly(1 star) claim that after a 2m interview they get you to pay for a $200-$400 headshot photo that to what i understand is to put up there website (there are claims they do not put much effort in this photo to make it look good) and although i know it would be bad to only base my impression on the bad reviews i cant help but remain skeptical and would like feedback from others in this industry(i find it hard to find a place to ask this) i would appreciate any input or a recommendation on where i can pose these sorts of questions.

Maggie's Pacifier

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:19 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:07 am

I have no idea about the company, but may I make a suggestion:

Every year there are Students making short films as part of their Bachelor of Film and Television.
The students have to pay for most of their equipment hire which costs a small fortune. Some of them even hire professional camera people just to give them that extra edge.
They are therfore strapped for cash, and very happy for people to volunteer to work for free as crew, and if required, extras. I crewed on several student films back in the '90s.
I did end up getting a paid job, but I didn't like the industry (too much dog-eat-dog), so I only worked on the one feature film.

Anyway, my point is that by volunteering at these Colleges (e.g. Swinburne), if you do get some work, you get to meet a few film industry people. You can make contacts that way, and find out where the work is happening, and which agencies are good or bad.
If you are not working at the time, what have you got to lose?

Just a suggestion.

Otto Man

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:07 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 2 posts ]