AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:43 am



Reply to topic 
 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Same sex marriage vote 

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 122 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 176

 Same sex marriage vote 
Message Author

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 am


phunkyfeelone wrote:
As does infanticide, raping the young of other species, eating the head of the (opposite sex) mate etc.
I look forward to the legislation updates...(not serious of course)


Fun facts:

- Up until 1956 in Western Australia (and 1941 in Tasmania) it was legal to marry a 12 year old girl.

- Up until 90's, in some States, it was still legal to rape your wife.

- The Marriage Act as we know it was only created in 1961, and has been amended over 20 times since then.
(Including when John Howard changed the Marriage Act to make it explicitly between a man and a woman - ONLY THIRTEEN YEARS AGO.)


The point I'm making is that "the Law" is a constantly evolving thing. There is nothing "traditional" about it.
As society evolves, by necessity so must the Law.
I'm pretty sure most Australians would find it totally unacceptable these days to rape your 12 year old wife. Thankfully, the Laws were changed to reflect the contemporary values of society.

phunkyfeelone wrote:
Give me a species where two of the same gender can have intercourse and create life?
My guess is that there may be somewhere between 0 and 0, but happy to be corrected on that.


Slugs and Snails: They also shoot each other with darts of sperm whilst having the sloppiest sex imaginable.
I'm sure there are other species of hermaphrodites out there as well, I just can't think of any at the moment.
There are species of fish that can change their gender if there is a shortage of the opposite gender within their group - does that count?.

phunkyfeelone wrote:
As i've said earlier, I think the rules on marriage should be stricter, criminal tests, minimum relationship duration, etc.


Criminal tests? Are you suggesting that Derryn Hinch should be legally able to sit in the Senate, but not be married? :scratch:


This Vote is a waste of money. $120 million dollars, so that Pollies like Eric Abetz can say "fuck you all" to the people that elected him and Vote NO regardless. I'm pretty sure there are also Pollies out there that will vote YES regardless of the outcome of the vote.

So why have the Vote at all? Ah, yes because it was an election promise made by Tony Abbott to try and stay the inevitable tide of societal evolution. Good luck Tony!


5
Mary Bailey
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 674
Karma: 63.45 (427 thanks)
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 am
Profile

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 pm


HumphreyBBear wrote:
Fun facts:
- Up until 1956 in Western Australia (and 1941 in Tasmania) it was legal to marry a 12 year old girl.
- Up until 90's, in some States, it was still legal to rape your wife.
- The Marriage Act as we know it was only created in 1961, and has been amended over 20 times since then.
(Including when John Howard changed the Marriage Act to make it explicitly between a man and a woman - ONLY THIRTEEN YEARS AGO.)

All true, but just because it CAN be changed, doesn't mean it SHOULD be changed.

HumphreyBBear wrote:
The point I'm making is that "the Law" is a constantly evolving thing. There is nothing "traditional" about it. As society evolves, by necessity so must the Law. I'm pretty sure most Australians would find it totally unacceptable these days to rape your 12 year old wife. Thankfully, the Laws were changed to reflect the contemporary values of society.

Rape and paedophilia laws are about consent, and the long term impact it has on the victim.

phunkyfeelone wrote:
Give me a species where two of the same gender can have intercourse and create life?
My guess is that there may be somewhere between 0 and 0, but happy to be corrected on that.

HumphreyBBear wrote:
Slugs and Snails: They also shoot each other with darts of sperm whilst having the sloppiest sex imaginable.
I'm sure there are other species of hermaphrodites out there as well, I just can't think of any at the moment.
There are species of fish that can change their gender if there is a shortage of the opposite gender within their group - does that count?.

Hermaphrodites are not gay, they are gender neutral. So keep searching google on that one.
Gender neutral is where humans are headed...unisex facilities, calling those born he "she", allowing other genders on passports, etc. Born male, you're male. Born female, you're female. Regardless of what you think or feel, that's fact.

phunkyfeelone wrote:
As i've said earlier, I think the rules on marriage should be stricter, criminal tests, minimum relationship duration, etc.

HumphreyBBear wrote:
Criminal tests? Are you suggesting that Derryn Hinch should be legally able to sit in the Senate, but not be married? :scratch:

Let me detail: Those convicted of violence, rape, paedophilia etc. Not talking about tax fraud or perjury etc.

HumphreyBBear wrote:
This Vote is a waste of money. $120 million dollars, so that Pollies like Eric Abetz can say "fuck you all" to the people that elected him and Vote NO regardless. I'm pretty sure there are also Pollies out there that will vote YES regardless of the outcome of the vote.

Agree it's a complete waste of money, we had an election, LNP got back by the barest of margins, no SSM was a known policy. Respect the outcome of the election, and vote different next time. If ALP won the election, and that was their election promise, then I respect the outcome of the election.

HumphreyBBear wrote:
So why have the Vote at all? Ah, yes because it was an election promise made by Tony Abbott to try and stay the inevitable tide of societal evolution. Good luck Tony!

Believe me, it burns me up that I have the same vote as that onion eating turdburger, but for COMPLETELY different reasons. :evil:


Hired Goon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 2979
Karma: 211.88 (6312 thanks)

Location: The Land of Chocolate
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile

Postby modecko » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:16 pm


Looks like this forum poll is reflecting population polls going back a decade or so.

Abbott and the hardline right of the LN-P know this and came up first with a plebiscite, and now this non-binding survey, as a way of short-circuiting that public opinion. They knew the nastiness that is happening and the lies like that one Abbott told on the head-butting incident would occur. They and the likes of Lyle want to muddy the water as much as possible by making this about everything but equality. Notice how the No campaign has not once raised the issue of equality in this debate, and that is what this is about, nothing else.


6
Judge Roy Snyder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:42 pm
Posts: 886
Karma: 89.16 (790 thanks)

Location: South Coast NSW
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:16 pm
Profile

Postby modecko » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:21 pm


By the way, you are not having a "vote" on this as I've seen stated here and on other forums. The parliament will be the ones who will vote on it, you are only giving your opinion in a 122 million dollar survey to a loaded question.


5
Judge Roy Snyder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:42 pm
Posts: 886
Karma: 89.16 (790 thanks)

Location: South Coast NSW
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:21 pm
Profile

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm


modecko wrote:
By the way, you are not having a "vote" on this as I've seen stated here and on other forums. The parliament will be the ones who will vote on it, you are only giving your opinion in a 122 million dollar survey to a loaded question.


You're right, a vote is a binding outcome, where the result is accepted as democratic.
Like the election, where we all accepted the policies of the winning party, regardless of personal preferences...oh wait, apparently if you don't like the democratic process, you can waste everyone's time and place over-importance on a nice to have change for a minority.

(I agree though, this is a glorified opinion poll)


Hired Goon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:59 pm
Posts: 2979
Karma: 211.88 (6312 thanks)

Location: The Land of Chocolate
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm
Profile

Postby HIPPYD » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 am


boner1970 wrote:
God made adam and eve.not adam and adam not eve and eve.


Man made god, god made nothing.


8
Carl Carlson
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:52 pm
Posts: 587
Karma: 472.74 (2775 thanks)

Location: W.A
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 am
Profile

Postby legman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm


HIPPYD wrote:
boner1970 wrote:
God made adam and eve.not adam and adam not eve and eve.


Man made god, god made nothing.

Then what made man.


Rod Flanders

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:32 pm
Posts: 159
Karma: 38.36 (61 thanks)
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm
Profile

Postby HIPPYD » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:17 pm


legman wrote:
HIPPYD wrote:
boner1970 wrote:
God made adam and eve.not adam and adam not eve and eve.


Man made god, god made nothing.

Then what made man.


Google evolutionary biology


4
Carl Carlson
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:52 pm
Posts: 587
Karma: 472.74 (2775 thanks)

Location: W.A
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:17 pm
Profile

Postby legman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm


Google where did life come from.


1
Rod Flanders

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:32 pm
Posts: 159
Karma: 38.36 (61 thanks)
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm
Profile

Postby meperson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:26 pm


The 'Yes' vote has too many social and political ramifications as I believe marriage is an institution rather than a right. Same sex partners already have the same rights through civil unions.


2
Carl Carlson
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:02 pm
Posts: 522
Karma: 19.35 (101 thanks)
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic 
 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.