AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:32 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 15 posts ] 
 Census 
Message Author

Postby Macc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 pm

There is a lot of discussion about the census and privacy issues on social media today. I'm not so concerned about the privacy angle but this is a bit more concerning. The ABS is basically saying "trust us" and dismissing concerns out of hand. I'm not going to suggest anybody boycott the census, but I'm not personally prepared to do it online if the web site security is as bad as has been reported. I'm going to ask for a paper form and would recommend everybody else do the same.

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 pm

Postby sharkboi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm

No way I will do it online, I've requested a form be sent out...

Troy McLure

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Postby wolverine » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Macc wrote:
There is a lot of discussion about the census and privacy issues on social media today. I'm not so concerned about the privacy angle but this is a bit more concerning. The ABS is basically saying "trust us" and dismissing concerns out of hand. I'm not going to suggest anybody boycott the census, but I'm not personally prepared to do it online if the web site security is as bad as has been reported. I'm going to ask for a paper form and would recommend everybody else do the same.

For me it's the opposite. Most browsers will default to SHA-2 security anyway, and to force them to use SHA-1, ABS servers have to be compromised first. And if that happens, hackers will have access to all the collected data anyway. And for that, they would have adequate protection in place.

Privacy on the other hand is more of a worry for me. Having detailed information about me and my family, income, religion, preferences etc. so various parties and government departments can access it any time they wish etc., is not appealing. Not to mention risks of being hacked in the future etc. Think Sony Playstation, LinkedIn, MySpace hacks etc.

Capo Bastone

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 am

wolverine wrote:
ABS servers have to be compromised first. And if that happens, hackers will have access to all the collected data anyway. And for that, they would have adequate protection in place.

I agree; except for the "adequate protection" bit; as "the bad guys" have already had access to whatever data they want from the census for many years, and will continue to do so. Only provide information up to your legal obligation, and nothing more.

Otto Man

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 am

Postby Macc » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:41 pm

This is brilliant!

Milhouse Van Houten

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Postby atefooterz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 pm

Some food for thought. The Legislation & Act V ammendments & regulations to police it are seriously flawed! https://www.privacy.org.au/Papers/ABS-C ... acy_v8.pdf

Quote:
From Bill McLennan

"I was, personally, heavily involved in the process of rewriting of the Census and
Statistics Act. At the time, I kept good personal records of all the discussions the ABS
had with the Government, the Parliamentary Draftsmen and the Attorney
Generals Department on all important legal matters, including this specific issue.
My notes indicated that in the middle of June 1981, during the long process of
drafting the bill to make the required, and substantial,
amendments to the Census and
Statistics Act, Dr Roy Cameron, the then Australian Statistician, wrote to the First
Parliamentary Counsel on quite a few issues concerning the wording in the draft bill,
as it then stood."

Given the view of the Second Parliamentary Counsel, and its subsequent precise
implementation into the Census and Statistics legislation, I suggest the discussion on
this issue ends here.
The ABS doesn’t have the authority to collect ‘name’ in the 2016 Census on a
compulsory basis

Santa's Little Helper

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

Postby spudwa » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:02 pm

The thing I don't understand is that when I go to ancestory.com.au I'm looking at census data and it has names etc. So I don't see what is different this year?

Disco Stu

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Postby atefooterz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

spudwa wrote:
The thing I don't understand is that when I go to ancestory.com.au I'm looking at census data and it has names etc. So I don't see what is different this year?

When you paid for ancestory.com.au, the amount stated in Au$, did you notice a 3% surcharge for overseas transactions? The Act has always and still does allow release of information after 100 years. Are those names from the Registrar Generals Dept showing information or from collected Census? :)

Santa's Little Helper

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm
Profile WWW

Postby Macc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:03 pm

spudwa wrote:

When you go to ancestry.com.au you're looking at census data that was kept on paper in the National Archives for 100 years before it was released. (Note that Ancestry charges you money to look at something they got from and you could get from the National Archives for free.) Back then all they asked in a census was your name, age, place of birth and occupation. Now your name and address will be kept with a lot of other other personal information by the ABS in a live database that security experts have warned is not very secure.

Milhouse Van Houten

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:03 pm

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:30 pm

What is the worst thing that could happen?

People shout "privacy" all the time, but some food for thought:
- Big data servers can already link most of the data to you
- You have a tax file number and medicare card, driver's license.
- What is private information? They already know or can find out any of the information
- What exactly do you fear?
- They already OCR scan the paper version and digitise your data, been doing it for years

The only query for me is that if the online system is so safe, why can't we vote online?

Martin Prince

Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:30 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 15 posts ]