AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 11 posts ] 
 Indian Call Centres 
Message Author

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

I just had to create this topic...

Today I received my "umpteenth" call about "how your computer is infected".

This time from a nice man calling himself <insert random English name here> from <insert random Melbourne suburb here>.

The caller told me that files on my computer with a .inf extension were a sign that my computer was INFECTED

I have had these calls many times before, but today this "technical support" guy tried to tell me that "inf" stood for "infected".

It took all my self control not to burst into laughter while he explained to me that he was "qualified".

After explaining to him that I was also "qualified" and I did not believe that "inf" stood for INFECTED; I asked him what exactly were his qualifications.

The line disconnected. :D

What funny experiences have you had with Indian Call Centres?

Otto Man

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Postby Macc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

These calls are actually a scam. They are trying to trick you into doing one of two things:
1) Handing over your credit card details to buy their "technical support" (after which you are fleeced up to your credit limit); or
2) Giving them remote access to your computer to "fix" the problem (after which your computer becomes part of a botnet).

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Macc wrote:
These calls are actually a scam.

Yes, I should have mentioned that before.
I am aware that this is a scam.

I literally just had another call from India about my "infected computer".

They don't give up, do they!! :giggle:

Otto Man

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Postby ausmammal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:
Macc wrote:
These calls are actually a scam.

Yes, I should have mentioned that before.
I am aware that this is a scam.

I literally just had another call from India about my "infected computer".

They don't give up, do they!! :giggle:

Awww. I've never had one of those before... It would be good to let them into a "dummy computer" that then infects their system after they log into it. I'm not smart
enough to do this but I'd love to hear of someone doing it. I have registered with the do not call register and don't receive any sort of calls like this. I'm missing out on some fun here :( lmao

Itchy the Mouse

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

I received a call fro a cal centre one day and was asked if "Mr Dawson" was there (not my surname). I just said "I'll go and find out' and left the room with the receiver on the desk for half an hour.

Carl Carlson

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Postby djmenow » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:38 pm

I had one of those calls Sept last year.

Lucky I was home as my wife had no idea about computers otherwise she would have done what they said. I did everything they said until I suspected something when they wanted me to go to logmein123. I then did a google search and saw it was a scam.
I made an excuse that I had a knock at the door and hung up.

She called back 5 mins later and I told her it was a scam and she stressed with some urgency that it was not a scam and that it was vitally important that her technicians needed to fix my system.

I said I just checked Google about that website and then she hung up.

Lol....thank goodness for google :)

Ned Flanders

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 pm

ausmammal wrote:
I have registered with the do not call register and don't receive any sort of calls like this.

The Do Not Call register can only apply to Australian companies.
There is no international agreement to stop overseas companies from calling you.
The only way to take action against overseas callers, as far as I know, is if they have a legal connection to an Australian company.

The fact that you have not yet received a call is coincidental; they just haven't got around to you yet.

I receive heaps of these calls, not just about computers, but lots of other stuff as well.
I have noted that these calls seem to come in bursts: I don't hear from them for months, and suddenly several calls within a week. :no:

Otto Man

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Postby ausmammal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 am

HumphreyBBear wrote:
ausmammal wrote:
I have registered with the do not call register and don't receive any sort of calls like this.

The Do Not Call register can only apply to Australian companies.
There is no international agreement to stop overseas companies from calling you.
The only way to take action against overseas callers, as far as I know, is if they have a legal connection to an Australian company.

The fact that you have not yet received a call is coincidental; they just haven't got around to you yet.
o:

Oh well there ya go.... glad i havn't had one then. I guess my day will come sooner or later.... i hope SO MUCH LATER though.

Itchy the Mouse

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 am

Postby atefooterz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 am

When i was doing bigpond tech support, i was amazed at how many fell for this :shock: All had paid $50 by credit card (2008) and allowed remote access, the nice techs then play for a few minutes then hang up, they also disconnect the net with changed settings. By the time the customer has got through to tech support their credit cards usually have a few more charges made. net banking pin numbers are also groomed & quite often account cleared. sad really :evil:

Santa's Little Helper

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 am
Profile WWW

Postby goose22 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm

In 2007 I had just had the phone connected in a small country town i was living in at the time,I had not given my number out to anyone just yet, so no one knew my number, but within a day i had a call from an indian call centre, asking if i was happy with the telco i was with, and after a few impolite words from him about me staying with the telco i had just connected with, he politely thanked me for WASTING HIS TIME !!!!! The next day i received another call from them, offering the same.... told them to go get .......

Maggie's Pacifier

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 11 posts ]