AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:40 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ] 
 Speeding in Australia 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm

musnoopy wrote:
I agree in part that speeding causes accidents. But it is not the only contributing factor, is most cases the young ‘hooligans’ that have these accidents don’t possess the skills do drive at speed. I will be the first to say that I am not the best driver going around but I know when I got my licence I went out to do an Advance Driving Course and it made me more aware and a better driver IMO. This I think should be made mandatory for all drivers to sit when they get their licence, not to make them think they can speed or be reckless (unfortunately in society this generally is the case) but to at least give them the skills or knowledge that if they get into a situation they may be able to get out of it without killing themselves or others. Any no matter what we do there will always be someone that is a dickhead on the roads

I've got a pretty radical idea to help resolve that...

They say that the people who are best at any task that involves quick thing & good hand to eye coordination (eg: athletes, sportsmen, musicians, etc.) are the ones who started at an early age. I wonder if that same benefit would translate into driving. I'm not saying we should lower the age for licensing or that they should be allowed to drive cars on public roads but if there's a way to create a programme for that to happen safely they may develop better skills & reflexes. Psychologically it may prevent or reduce the egotistic attitude they can have when learning as an adolescent...

Ned Flanders

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Postby wolverine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 am

Macc wrote:
wolverine wrote:
Macc wrote:
Why do some people think it is their god given right to speed? We have speed limits for a reason. And a limit is that - an upper limit. It is not a requirement to travel at that speed all the time. You may travel at any safe speed up to and including that limit, but not more. If you exceed the limit, you are breaking the law. Why is this so difficult to understand?

What pisses me off the most is drivers who abuse me for doing 10k under the limit on a wet road.

Actually, I think you will find that if you are driving at less than 10kms below the speed limit, you are breaking the law.

Complete and utter BS.

wolverine wrote:
I was told so by a policeman who stopped me for riding my motorcycle too slow (and I was only doing so because I saw him behind me).

That's simply not true. However obstructing traffic is breaking the law.

What is "Complete and utter BS"? Me saying I was stopped by a policeman for driving too slow or his reasoning for stopping me? If it is former, you are calling me a liar, do you have a proof that I am? Until you do, piss off. If it is latter, it goes to show how much of a police state we are living in - police can just make up the rules as they go.

Capo Bastone

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 am

Postby djmenow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I to have been pulled over for going too slow as a cop was behind me years ago and he reckons I was going too slow (10kmh +) and he said he could fine me for going too slow.

Ned Flanders

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Sorry aka, but you are not breaking the law by driving according to the conditions. ie a wet road.

Carl Carlson

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:51 pm

aka Aussie wrote:
Macc wrote:
What pisses me off the most is drivers who abuse me for doing 10k under the limit on a wet road.

That is probably because you are the one breaking the law.

SKaVeN wrote:
Actually, I think you will find that if you are driving at less than 10kms below the speed limit, you are breaking the law. I was told so by a policeman who stopped me for riding my motorcycle too slow (and I was only doing so because I saw him behind me).
Yeah, I don't mind people driving really slow as long as they keep over to the left & pull over (where possible) if people are behind them. I get really ticked off when people drive slow in the centre lane & the police will nick you for doing that. I think they should get fines because roadhogs force people top overtake on the left which is dangerous.

You know one other thing that really pisses me off? A main road near here has an extra left lane added for about thirty metres before & after a few intersections it crosses. Those lanes only really exist to break traffic & help create access for motorists want to turn left before the intersection onto the other road, & for people to turn left from the other road onto this road after the intersection.

Yet feral yeah-fuckin'-yeah bogans think it's a pole position created especially for them so when the lights to change they can plant it, use the thirty metres after the intersection to overtake (from the left!) & push in. The really scary thing about those idiots is that they totally believe that because they think they're keeping as "near as practicable to the left" they have right of way which is why they'll just ram you if you're in the right lane they have to merge into.

Where the fuck does it in any of the road regulations state that left has right of way ever?!! Isn't the most fundemental law of motoring is Australia to always give way to the right (no exceptions)?!! And how the fuck does "near as practicable to the left" mean using a feed in lane to plant it & overtake & push in from the left? Maybe there should be a mandatory extra question in the learner's permit examination asking people if they even know what the word "practicable" actually means.

It's a wonder people like that even got their learner's permit.

A driver's licence is a privilege, not a right & I for one would love it if everyone had to resit a driving test every five years to keep it. Just think of all the complete idiots (who could kill someone) we'd get off the road... :ohyes:

Now if you want to discuss fundamentals, there is 2 issues here which are the basics of driving and law:
1) Keep left unless overtaking, so theoretically if a lane splits in 2, the left lane should be used, so this makes it acceptable for vehicles to use the left lane.
2) Merging, there is NO give way to the right when following the rules of merging, the vehicle that is more in front has right of way.

It's not really two lanes merging together. It's the left lane ending 30 metres up the road & merging over to the left. That's why people go in that lane to push in & plant it to use the 30 metres to build up enough speed to push in on the right lane. Mate, believe me, those things are irresistible to hoon drivers.

Ned Flanders

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Postby atefooterz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:00 pm

i am too scared to drive anywhere or anything now, after Macc has brought me up todate on fines & points :shock:

Santa's Little Helper

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile WWW

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:11 pm

atefooterz wrote:
i am too scared to drive anywhere or anything now, after Macc has brought me up todate on fines & points :shock:

You can always sell the car & ride the deadly treadly everywhere, not that that would help because I know someone who got a defect sticker on one of the too. They clipped it around the handlebars. :lol:

Ned Flanders

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Postby atefooterz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Outer northern Sydney is not "pushie friendly" by any stretch of the imagination, irregular crumbling edges leading to water erroded pot holes & tram lines dug into crumbling soil and small rocks, on the single lanes & narrow 2 lanes that motorists will have a go at you if you are legally taking up a lane but going slowly, not to mention the topography of never ending hills ..yes taller & steeper than the rise up the back of Radelaide :yes:

The western subs are a lot flatter & better, as is the inner city. But in the main our sprawl that is Sidernee has little to offer a treadly :lol:

Santa's Little Helper

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 pm
Profile WWW

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I've been saying for years that over here in Adelaide the best thing they could do for cyclists is build bicycle paths parallel to all the train lines.

Cyclists, skaters, joggers or whatever can go from the city to Henley, Grange, Gawler, Elizabeth, Tonsley, Brighton, Noarlunga & Victor Harbor (when they finally build a rail line down there) without ever having to venture onto a main road & compete with motorists until journey's end.

It's be easy & cheap to police too; a few police cars, two plods, two bicycles on a quick-release clamp.

It'd be good for kids because it'd allow them to go bike-riding spending less time where there's cars. I think everyone who intends to travel by road, no matter what form of transport they choose, should have to first pass a theoretical exam. But you can't expect that from children so maybe the separate bike paths could be an alternative...

Ned Flanders

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Postby atefooterz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:59 pm

aka Aussie wrote:
atefooterz wrote:
Outer northern Sydney is not "pushie friendly" by any stretch of the imagination, irregular crumbling edges leading to water erroded pot holes & tram lines dug into crumbling soil and small rocks, on the single lanes & narrow 2 lanes that motorists will have a go at you if you are legally taking up a lane but going slowly, not to mention the topography of never ending hills ..yes taller & steeper than the rise up the back of Radelaide :yes:

The western subs are a lot flatter & better, as is the inner city. But in the main our sprawl that is Sidernee has little to offer a treadly :lol:

Tram lines??? in outer Northern Sydney suburbs? I don't recall any.

:shock: generic & very common name given to the ruts dug into soil by water errosion

Santa's Little Helper

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ]