AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Loss of Trees throughout our Suburbs 
Message Author

Postby gregorius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm

In perth everywhere there are so many tree cutters in the form of councils ripping down old trees that are in good health and that take 70-80 years to grow again.

what do you think of this.

just across from where i live an owner simply destroyed two giant healthy gum trees that must have been at least 70 years old because he felt they were obsrtucting his realty potential.

now gone the place looks like a desert. no shade.no birds. nothing.

the following morning some crazy cunt spralwed all over his building in giant letters 'REDNECKS RULE' AND '80 YEARS OF GROWTH GONE IN 60 MINS'.

was everywhere and the poor bloke couldnt get it off sides of his building for up to two weeks.

On a very busy road in blazing glory.

Now in perth there is a man sitting in tree cause coucil wants knock it down. been there two weeks and more and perth television media seem to ridicule him.

In canberra capital territory we just witnessed a silly individual farmer bemoan the fact he cant knock down and clear bushland, whilst sitting IN A TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

[the tree is willing to give but the bloody farmer wants to condemn his trees to extinction it seems]

in north queensland Noel Pearson and mates want to convert their wilderness into industry.

all so strange.

Carl Carlson

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Why is it strange?
People stick up for causes they believe in.

Carl Carlson

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:48 am

I've planted about 60 trees on my block since building 4 years ago. Twas just a bare paddock - about 1.5 acres. Our council is knocking down some trees well over 100 years old, on the pretext the drought has made them dangerous.

Jimbo Jones

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:48 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Hmmmmm... I do support the removal of trees that are interfering with sewerage pipes or are dangerous trees. Even healthy trees can fall or drop huge branches onto peoples house & potentially kill them after a lot of rain when they're weighed down with water. But I do think that the should be replaced with natives trees which are more practical.

I have a seven kilometre walk each day & on hot days, when I get away from the concrete jungle & am walking on grass, dirt tracks & surrounded by trees it already feels a few degrees cooler & a lot more clement so I would like more trees.

The problem here is that, because of the super strict water restrictions we've had here for the last few years, the trees & bushes in a lot of peoples gardens died. Grass was actually the first casualty so a lot of people replaced their lawns with wood chips (like us) or just left it as dirt. It was kind of a shame. Water conservation is a serious issue but letting plant life die as a result was a bit like cutting your nose to spite your face. A few years ago the conservation society told us it was important for our future to plant more trees, a few years later we were being told to let & watch them die...

I think massively increased housing & population since the Adelaide suburban infrastructure was originally designed has contributed in no small part to our current water shortages so maybe if the state government would've just built a few more reservoirs &/or heighten the walls of the existing one so we'd have more water saved, maybe we could've avoided some of this...?

But the state government here has announced a scheme to grow a lot more trees in suburbia so kudos to them for that. Native restoration is good on so many levels. We only had one tree in our backyard which we had to fall because it was forcing up the neighbours pavers. I have a lot of native shrubs, bushes & climbers out there now & we get a lot of rainbow lorikeets & New Holland honey eaters.

I also think they should make more ponds in suburban parks. I made a backyard pond with a bog & stream & you should hear all the native frogs at night! They need native trees & plants too.

More trees, more ponds. Native flora means more native fauna.

So, yeah, I do support the removal of big old trees when there's a good reason for it. A lot of them should never have been planted there in the first place & just demonstrated a lack of foresight.

Ned Flanders

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Postby gregorius » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm

skaven-"yes I do support the removal of big beautiful ancient magnificent old trees that provide cover from the sun and give solace to the birds and humanity".

What a diabolically disgusting mentality skaven old friend that you have.

Well I dont support their removal one bit!

And think that old trees should be regarded as sacred and should be protected once there over 40years old. Just the way we protect and value old homes and buildings-cars etc. And that redneck councils and private developers that want uninterrupted views must get validation from a native/tree council or the like to approve of what they intend to do, instead of just knock over the Fn things.

Laterly we have witnessed in perths western suburbs and beyond too many magnificent old trees just get obliterated by greedy developers thru corrupt old mentality councillers, so there mansions can have beachy or river views. Its appalling.

Carl Carlson

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Greg, did you read anything that I said?

Where was I ever talking about "magnificent ancient old trees", I was talking about inappropriately selected trees in suburbia that have been planted people who have no understanding of horticulture or our native habitat (not national parks or historic rain forests) & there is absolutely nothing either magnificent or ancient about any of that.

If I had a "disgusting or diabolical mentality", why would I have written so much about my feelings for reintroducing more native flora in suburbia to create more habitat for native species?

Is it disgusting or diabolical to fall a tree in someone's front yard that has roots blocking sewerage pipes & heavy branches growing over their children's bedroom that could give after the next heavy rainfall? A tree that is only there because the original house owner just thoughtlessly chucked in a few trees without giving any thought as to what trees they should've chosen, just to add resale value to their house?

There's nothing beautiful & ancient about people, with a lack of foresight, growing the wrong type of tree (which probably isn't even native) in the wrong environment without giving any thought as to the future repercussions when it gets bigger. What about people who have lost their homes or had family members killed during storms by a huge dangerous tree some clown stuck in the ground as a harmless sapling fifty years ago just because he didn't know how big it would grow?

If you think that my saying that trees, that were planted artificially in suburbia by ignorant people, should be removed if they become a hazard & replace them with the original native flora to attract & increase the breeding habitats for native fauna (which is what I was saying) is a "disgusting or diabolical mentality" then, surely, you must've completely misunderstood me...

Greg, personally, I'd never call someone on this site a disgusting, diabolical, redneck just to make a point. I mean, far out, mate. You ask for peoples thought so I share some of mine & you respond by abusing me & accusing me of a whole bunch of stuff I never even said. I wasn't even disagreeing with anything you said. All I was doing was giving a few examples - & there are some - where I believe tree falling is justified & necessary. Perhaps you just couldn't see the wood for the trees... :shrugno:

Ned Flanders

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:09 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 6 posts ]