AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 26 posts ] 
 Advice on first car? 
Message Author

Postby electric-j » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Frankly I think I'm too old for any of that P plate fishtail/burnout/two wheel/running-over-old-people-for-fun malarkey (I also don't want people curling up their little finger as I drive by - not sure I could take it), which is why the plan is to pick up something that is cheap and won't break down. Case in point, I want something that'll get me to and from places like Dubbo and Canberra from Newcastle. I figure a 1995 or newer sedan (Commodore or Ford) would do it easy, but I'm still not convinced about fuel economy (plus going from learning in a Kia hatch to a big sedan is quite a jump).

Maggie's Pacifier

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Yeah, I hear yah. That's what I thought you might be after which I why I suggested looking a considering an E110 or E120 Corolla. Have a look at a few & see what you think. :wink:

Ned Flanders

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Postby christelvr69 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 pm

on the falcon/commodore debate, they really dont use that much more fuel than a 4cyl. on the open road a new holden/commodore should manage around 8L/100km which is probably the same as my 2000 camry. the 4cyl are a little more economical in stop/start driving, although i think that the previous statement puts the end to what people say. a girl at work said "dont get a falcon or a commodore they use too much fuel".

also my dad is a mechanic by trade (doesnt deal with cars anymore though), and a avid "motor" and "wheels" fan. im pretty sure one of them done a article about the prius saying that the pollution in creating the main battery for the car, is more pollution than the car makes in 10 years. (something to that effect anyhow).

so if those cars arn't as green and fuel efficient as they should be, then why are people buying them?

Monty Burns

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Yeah, I reckon some of those zippy little sports cars must chew up petrol like nobody's business & those four cylinder Boganodores were notorious for it too. It's not surprising; chucking a 4 cylinder motor in a 6 cylinder car was a pretty stupid idea if you ask me.

That 1972 1300 Mazda coupe first car I had that I was talking about earlier cots me more to keep registered than my dad's XC Falcon because it had two doors so was classified as a type of sports car. That's pretty stupid too. But it makes me wonder how much it costs to register those zippy little sports cars (unless they've changed they way they work the rates out nowadays).

Ned Flanders

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm

aka Aussie wrote:
christelvr69 wrote:
also my dad is a mechanic by trade (doesnt deal with cars anymore though), and a avid "motor" and "wheels" fan. im pretty sure one of them done a article about the prius saying that the pollution in creating the main battery for the car, is more pollution than the car makes in 10 years. (something to that effect anyhow).

so if those cars arn't as green and fuel efficient as they should be, then why are people buying them?

Actually the article stated that a 'Hummer' was more green than the 'Prius' :!:

Holy shit! That must make Arnie the greenest & most eco-friendly bloke on the planet!

Ned Flanders

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Postby christelvr69 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59 am

sorry my fault i never read the article myself.

Monty Burns

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 26 posts ]