AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Batch Image/Cap Resize Problem! 
Message Author

Postby salt » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Was wondering if anyone could assist me with this problem. I use two programs to edit caps, Irfanview and/or XnView and neither of them seem to work for me with batch resizing. If I take caps with Vlan/VLC Media Player the dimensions are correct when taking a snapshot (i.e. 1920 by 1080 pixels). But often at times I need to use GOM player so I am able to more precisely seek to a specific moment in the recording to get a particular snapshot (e.g. I want to snap the subject smiling).

Here is what I do in Irfanview to resize images/caps:

File --> Batch Conversion/Rename --> Work as is either set to Batch Conversion or Batch Conversion - Rename Result Files --> Output format JPEG is selected with advanced options ticked --> within the advanced options, i've ticked the resize box --> set one or both sides to WIDTH 1920 LENGTH HEIGHT 1080 (also tried set long and short sides with same dimensions) --> tick options preserve aspect ratio and use resample function --> apply changes (ok) --> select all files I want to convert, select output folder and press start batch.

Files are renamed but NOT resized to the 1920 by 1080 size I require. I tried installing the latest plugins did nothing.

Here is what I do in XnView to resize images/caps:

Highlight images in directory, right click, left click BATCH PROCESSING --> Click Transformations tab --> Under image select resize and click add --> set parameters by pixels (1920 width 1080 height) --> tick keep ratio --> Keep lanczos resample algorithm --> select input images, set output folder, set as JPEG, have as overwrite (in selected directory) --> PRESS GO.

Again files are renamed but NOT resized to the 1920 by 1080 size I require. I tried installing the latest version did nothing.

Whatever it is, this same issue is affecting the batch resize functionality of both programs. Am I doing anything wrong here? Is it a problem with Vista itself?

It'd be much appreciated if someone could assist me as to why the resizing functions are not working as it is getting increasingly annoying having to manually resize dozens of images/caps each time individually...

Milhouse Van Houten

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:55 pm

I only use tge resize function in Iview and not rename and never had a problem. Maybe you could try processing the files twice ie: Run the batch conversion and then with the converted files run a batch rename and set the prog to overwrite the the existing (converted) files?

Carl Carlson

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Postby narly » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 pm

It's all so technical :dizzy: Cap in Power DVD , then resize and rename and convert in Photobase , done :ohyes:

Troy McLure

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Postby dodgie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 pm

I have never used those programs but you could try using virtualdub.Edit the frames you want,load the processing settings/load configuration script (this is the only thing you will have to set up once) and then >save image sequence,done. :cool:
It will rename and resize in one hit.

Carl Carlson

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Postby salt » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Problem solved. Found a copy of PowerDVD on my comp, made a few changes to the settings, works well enough, although not as precise as GOM player for seeking, but willing to overlook that for convenience of quick resize.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, will try em' all out and see which works best, but at least now I finally got myself a solution to the resize problem!

Milhouse Van Houten

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Postby atefooterz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 pm

I did not see this thread earlier sorry.
The new XnView i use = select "convert" logo/ a pop up for batch conversion appears with 2 tabs .

"Transformations" has left menu >"image" click on resize> click Add Button, then set parameters, save as a script, i do this for all sizes i have to do aspect ratio conversion with & also same size output, if i am using VLC snap to convert to JPEG.

Back to General and select files "VIA ADD"

I tried it ( using windows 7 ) and when i drop & drag images it does not seem to allow the permission to convert. unless i use the "Add" to select files via XnView, then it works normally , as i have never had that issue B4. = weird

My Xp puter has the old versions of both irFan & XnView.

I am going to try the GOM player as VLC is rather random & timer consuming to grab the frame ya want.

My Xp with PowerDVD has always had some snapshot copy protection crap issue & is annoying, as you need to check if it has actually written a file .. or if it has that it is not empty with some media player crap black/negative.

Santa's Little Helper

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 pm
Profile WWW

Postby s_and_o » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:03 pm

atefooterz wrote:
I am going to try the GOM player as VLC is rather random & timer consuming to grab the frame ya want.

I use the GOM player works good for getting the frame you want haven't had any problems using it with vista . FastStone Photo Resizer 2.9 works fine with it simple to use and free also.

Judge Roy Snyder

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Postby atefooterz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 pm

s_and_o wrote:
atefooterz wrote:

I use the GOM player works good for getting the frame you want haven't had any problems using it with vista . FastStone Photo Resizer 2.9 works fine with it simple to use and free also.

I like this GOM .. much faster to cap & use than VLC or powerDVD :grin:i am using windows 7 .

Santa's Little Helper

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile WWW

Postby sharkboi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks to this thread I've just discovered GOM Player too, I especially like the burst capture feature.
And I found a Portable version so it doesn't have to be installed and add more crap to the registry... :grin:

Troy McLure

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 9 posts ]