AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 20 posts ] 
 SoulSeek 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Yeah, right back in the early '90s I started making a list of all my favourite songs. Then computers came along so it became a word document. But then the Internet came along & suddenly it was possible for me to get these songs!

Then when Wikipedia came along (when I was doing that Our Favourite Classic Music Videos thread here) & YouTube so I could look through artists discography & find even more songs that I liked but had not heard for a long time.

I had a page-long list still of songs I had not acquired. Since I got SoulSeek a couple of days ago, that list is down to a single small paragraph!

I'm absolutely flabbergasted I got songs like "Little Pieces" by The Garden Path & "Springtime" by the Lighthouse Keepers. They were Australian bands that probably only ever released one vinyl single or EP back in the early '80s. I'd never even heard those songs since then. :grin:

PS: I hope those fraudulent pricks give you your money back.

Ned Flanders

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Postby modecko » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Unbelievably I got a refund... ...well I haven't got it yet but they emailed me they have refunded my credit card and it should be in my next statement.

Judge Roy Snyder

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm

That is unbelievable! They obviously know that legally they're skating on very thin ice. I'm glad you got it back. :grin:

Last night I got "Shall We Go" & "It's in Your Eyes" from the Dropbears back in '85. They were two of the first songs on my list & it took me all this time to get. Gotta luv the SoulSeek! :cool:

Ned Flanders

Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Postby modecko » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:15 pm

The Dropbears is some of the stuff I'm looking for.

Judge Roy Snyder

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Found some good stuff on there, thanks Skavie. Even searched for a mates old band that hasn't released anything since about 84 and found that on an old ZZZ compilation album.

Carl Carlson

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Postby bullwinkle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 am

Skavo, downloaded the program last night and managed to get one song downloaded, more by good luck than good management. Any chance you could give a imple blow by blow guide to using it, or post a link to instructions (I couldn't find any)?

Ta.

Jimbo Jones

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 am

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:39 pm

First of all make sure it's connected. It should connect automatically when you start it but you know for sure if you can see a list of "rooms" at the bottom right & the icon in your start up bar turns blue & red.

Click the button called Search Files.

You'll see a long skinny white box appeared. In that box type a few words from the song tittles &/or atist to help you find the song.

Wait.

While you're waiting you can always click the Search Files button again, & type in another one.

After about a minute the big box will start filling up with a list of files it found. Scroll through for what you're after & double click it.

If you click the Transfers button you'll be able to see all the files that are being downloaded & uploaded.

If you have any files you want to share click Options & select File Sharing Configuration to specify what folder you want to share. If you're in a queue someone might let you go first if they see you have something they want.

Another thing I found out when I was Goggling my Yohoo on that newfangled Interwebby thingamajig the kids these days are always banging on about is that you can click the Things I Like button, write remote: banned in the little box at the top & next-to that click the I Dislike button. I did that because some Colliwobbles supporter had five classic Australian songs I've been after for years but he "remote: banned" me. After I'd done that I got them! :grin:

Ned Flanders

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Postby modecko » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 am

I've learnt a lot more about the mob that hijacked me into thinking I had to pay for SoulSeek when it's free.

MBdetails.com appears on your credit card transaction and they send you an email saying you have purchased so many dollars worth of a subscription, usually 12 months, but nowhere do they tell you exactly what have subscribed to. In fact the whole thing should raise suspicion from the start because of the lack of detail and information on their websites and email correspondence.

There are thousands of complaints against this mob, they have hijacked Skype and iTunes clients along with other product providers' clients.

Do a search on MBdetails.com and look at complaintsboard.com and other sites complaining about this mob. Do not go to their site which normally comes up first in the search.

Looking at the number of people who got ripped off and never got their money back I think I was lucky, but I had threatened to report them to consumer affairs and other governments around the world.

Judge Roy Snyder

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 am

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am

Belated thanks, Uncle Skavo. Been busy with birthdays and such, so missed your reply. I've printed your reply off and will have a crack at downloading some songs on the weekend. Sounds dodgy, ecko. Did you get your $$$ back yet?

Jimbo Jones

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm

modecko wrote:
I've learnt a lot more about the mob that hijacked me into thinking I had to pay for SoulSeek when it's free.

MBdetails.com appears on your credit card transaction and they send you an email saying you have purchased so many dollars worth of a subscription, usually 12 months, but nowhere do they tell you exactly what have subscribed to. In fact the whole thing should raise suspicion from the start because of the lack of detail and information on their websites and email correspondence.

There are thousands of complaints against this mob, they have hijacked Skype and iTunes clients along with other product providers' clients.

Do a search on MBdetails.com and look at complaintsboard.com and other sites complaining about this mob. Do not go to their site which normally comes up first in the search.

Looking at the number of people who got ripped off and never got their money back I think I was lucky, but I had threatened to report them to consumer affairs and other governments around the world.

When I used to use eMule & wanted to visit their site I never did it via a Google search, I always went to Wikipedia, looked it up & scrolled down to where they provide the link to the official site. This may be a good way to avoid that happen stance for other applications too...

Ned Flanders

Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 20 posts ]