AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:37 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Patrick Swayze has five weeks to live. 
Message Author

Postby Emma Frost » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:17 pm

I put this here 'cause it's not quite "Mortal Coil" and the responses will turn to rabble after you go all "Ledger" on me if I make dismissive remarks, and, no doubt, it would end up here anyway....

Quote:
NATIONAL ENQUIRER WORLD EXCLUSIVE: PATRICK SWAYZE HAS 5 WEEKS TO LIVE

Patrick Swayze has five weeks to live, The NATIONAL ENQUIRER has learned.

In a shocking world exclusive, The NATIONAL ENQUIRER has uncovered the devastating news that the beloved Hollywood actor and dancer was diagnosed in late January with pancreatic cancer that has spread to other organs.

Swayze's rep confirmed the sad news Wednesday. Full details are in the print edition of the NATIONAL ENQUIRER that goes on sale Thursday.

For the past month, Patrick, 55, has been traveling to Stanford University's prestigious cancer center in Palo Alto for radical chemotherapy, but his doctors are no longer optimistic that the treatments will be successful.

Patrick and his wife Lisa Niemi — who both have pilot's licenses — have been flying their private Beechcraft plane into Palo Alto's airport, minutes away from the Stanford Cancer Center, where the actor has received outpatient treatment.

He received three doses of chemotherapy and the tumor shrank, but less than his doctors had hoped for — and Patrick was told he should prepare for the end.

"He was told he could have two more treatments, but his cancer was not responding. In short - they held out little hope for a cure," said an insider.

The man who danced into the hearts of audiences worldwide in the 1980s in Dirty Dancing and then broke them in the poignant love story Ghost in the early '90s has lost more than 20 pounds in the past few weeks and is restricted to a liquid diet because he has trouble keeping down solid food, added the insider.

"It's time to start praying for a miracle."

Hmm.
Pancreatic cancer. That's a baddie.
It's hard to make glib remarks about someone suffering the effects of that.
But I'll try anyway...
While it could be argued that this is a great loss to the acting community, I'll just remind remind you of his acting credits over the past decade - Keeping Mum, Icon, One Last Dance. Letters from a Killer, remember that one? No. No one does. 'Cause they all sucked.
The last Swayze movie you probably remember is Black Dog?
Yeah?
With Meatloaf?
Meatloaf.
All I'm saying is, if it had to happen, perhaps it coulda happen sooner. Then we could remember him as the king of movies like Ghost, Youngblood, Roadhouse, Red Dawn, and too a lesser extent Dirty Dancing.
At least we'll never see the badness that could have been Ghost 2: The Return.
Imagine if this had of happened to Stallone in 1995?
The man would have been remembered as a god of film, not some cheap ass, cash in, hack and we would've been spare his current (unnecessary) series reboots.

Barney Gumble

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:17 pm
Profile WWW

Postby djmenow » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Your caring nature is overwhelming as per fucking usual :roll:

Ned Flanders

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby Emma Frost » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Call it as I see it tiger. :wink:
I'm not debating his worth as a person, merely as an actor...

*Please let this be allowed to continue cj. :bow:
Unrestrained responses to admittedly "controversial" baseless statements.
This can be the balance of the site!

Barney Gumble

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

Postby cj. » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:27 pm

All I remember him from is Dirty Dancing and Roadhouse ... he might not be a great acting talent but not many actors have a success as big as DD. I'm one of the many cliche's that adores that movie and has a soft spot for patrick because of it.

Man ... the poor fucker, I don't care who he is I wouldn't wish that slow, painful death on anyone, famous or not :(

He's got a few months of shitting and pissing himself, rotting from the inside out and putting his family and friends through hell.

yuck ;(

Admin

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Postby Emma Frost » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Update - Reports Exaggerated.

Quote:
Doctor says he's well enough to work
AP by Bob Monek

LOS ANGELES -- Patrick Swayze is being treated for pancreatic cancer but is doing well enough to continue working, his representative said Wednesday.

The "Dirty Dancing" actor has a very limited amount of disease and appears to be responding well to treatment, according to Dr. George Fisher, Swayze's physician. Fisher's prognosis was included in a statement released Wednesday by Swayze's representative, Annett Wolf.

"Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects," the statement said.

It also said earlier reports that Swayze had a matter of weeks to live were exaggerated. "All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

Swayze, 55, has two films in the works: the movie "Powder Blue," and a television movie titled "The Beast," according to the Web site imdb.com. Both are scheduled for release this year.

(Copyright ©2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Yeah it's bad medicine.
I'm not sure of any other profession in which you carry on working when you have any kind of this nastiness.
It entitles you to some time off at least...
I figure it can mean only one of two things - it's really not that bad at all to have pancreatic cancer or acting isn't very hard...

Barney Gumble

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:54 pm
Profile WWW

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:07 pm

He was a bit of a light weight as an actor. His make or break dramatic role was Ghost but he did ham his way through it which is why he the offers didn't keep coming in after that. Although he was offered the role of the villain in the Stephen King miniseries "The Stand" but they couldn't afford his fee.

An interesting fact: Before Patrick, the lead in Ghost was offered to Paul Hogan.

But the bottom line is a 55 year old man is going to die & there's nothing his family can do but watch him die. I lost my father two years ago to cancer & he was in his seventies. Before he got his illness he could still run, climb trees, he even literally pull my mum up & down Ayres Rock. This years would've been his 80th birthday & my parents golden wedding anniversary. Does him not being here any more still hurt just as much? Yeah, it hurts! It hurts like hell! I still wake up some nights with a wet pillow. Sometimes I don't even remember what the dream was but knew Dad was in it somewhere...

The issue to me isn't whether or not he acted well, but it's the loss felt by those he leaves behind who have to go one with nothing more than the memories he's given them...

Last edited by SKaVeN on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ned Flanders

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Postby cj. » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Emma Frost wrote:
Update - Reports Exaggerated.

Quote:
Doctor says he's well enough to work
AP by Bob Monek

LOS ANGELES -- Patrick Swayze is being treated for pancreatic cancer but is doing well enough to continue working, his representative said Wednesday.

The "Dirty Dancing" actor has a very limited amount of disease and appears to be responding well to treatment, according to Dr. George Fisher, Swayze's physician. Fisher's prognosis was included in a statement released Wednesday by Swayze's representative, Annett Wolf.

"Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects," the statement said.

It also said earlier reports that Swayze had a matter of weeks to live were exaggerated. "All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

Swayze, 55, has two films in the works: the movie "Powder Blue," and a television movie titled "The Beast," according to the Web site imdb.com. Both are scheduled for release this year.

(Copyright ©2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Yeah it's bad medicine.
I'm not sure of any other profession in which you carry on working when you have any kind of this nastiness.
It entitles you to some time off at least...
I figure it can mean only one of two things - it's really not that bad at all to have pancreatic cancer or acting isn't very hard...

or his cancer isn't really that bad but its been blown out of proportion to make a good story. that's sad for those who really are struggling with the hell of pancreatic cancer but who don't have millions of dollars to do treatment.

he's had the benefit of a long and full life no matter what happens ... many aren't that lucky.

Admin

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Postby crackermann » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:39 pm

they just said on the news 70% of people diagnosed with this cancer die within 12 months & only 5% make it to five yrs

Disco Stu

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:39 pm

Postby locky1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:00 pm

my missus is devastated

Ned Flanders

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 pm

crackermann wrote:
they just said on the news 70% of people diagnosed with this cancer die within 12 months & only 5% make it to five yrs

scarily true..

because by the time most notice the symptoms that something is wrong and get it looked at the cancer has already metastasised and its too late....

Disco Stu

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 70 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next