Reply to topic 
 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 The Political Thread 
Message Author

Postby atefooterz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm

Quote:
AAP
The federal government's new post-Work Choices industrial relations (IR) system took another step forward when laws to provide a smooth transition were passed by the lower house on Tuesday.

The opposition tried to amend the measures, but when that failed it didn't vote against them.

The bills set out how the Howard government's Work Choices will be phased out and be replaced by Labor's Fair Work system.

They include arrangements for a new bargaining system, the interaction between the old and new systems and the transfer of assets to Fair Work Australia and the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Opposition workplace relations spokesman Michael Keenan moved a series of amendments that he said would reduce the burden on employers.

Workplace Relations Minister Julia Gillard rejected them, saying they were unnecessary or unworkable.

However, Ms Gillard herself introduced 110 amendments, some arising from recommendations by a Senate committee. She said most were minor and technical.

One gives greater protection to outworkers and another, which allows union turf wars to be sorted out before a dispute has arisen, was broadly in line with one proposed by Mr Keenan.

During sometimes acrimonious exchanges, Mr Keenan said the new system would cost jobs, especially in small business.

He continually challenged Ms Gillard to guarantee the new system would not add to employers' costs.

Ms Gillard accused Mr Keenan of trying to rip employees off and said the opposition couldn't let go of Work Choices.

The measures now go to the Senate.

Santa's Little Helper

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Postby HumphreyBBear » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:05 pm

I find the current dilemma facing the Liberal Party fascinating.

I think Malcom Turnbull is the most electable Liberal leader in my lifetime. (that's not saying much, as I've never voted Liberal)
The NSW fundamentalist Christian (mostly Catholic), far right faction, so heavily courted by Howard and Costello, are now trying to exercise (or is that exorcise?) their dominance in the Liberal ranks.
They have allied themselves with the last vestiges of the "flat earth society" within the party, and those members that represent electorates that employ significant numbers of voters within the mining and agriculture sectors. Although the issue at this time is Climate Change, I feel this has more to do with internal power struggles.

I hope that Turnbull wins out, otherwise it will consign the Federal Liberal Party to the political dustbin for many years: Which I don't think is a good thing for Australia.

Otto Man

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Postby crashdown » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:33 pm

atefooterz wrote:
Quote:
Ms Gillard accused Mr Keenan of trying to rip employees off and said the opposition couldn't let go of Work Choices.

Isn't Mrs Rudd the only one that was ripping employees off though :lol:

Disco Stu

Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:29 am

So, Tony Abbott is throwing his hat into the ring.

One presumes this is because he believes he is more representative of conservative politics than Malcom Turnbull, and more electable than Kevin Andrews.

John Howard must be laughing his arse off. :P

Otto Man

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:29 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:17 am

So, the Libs have chosen "the Mad Monk" as the best choice for our next Prime Minister.
Just goes to show that the religious right have now officially taken control of the Liberal Party.

Bring on the double dissolution, and hello electoral oblivion! :chuckel:

Otto Man

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:17 am

Postby djmenow » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am

So the idiots replace a no clue leader with an even more clueless, cant handle stress person. Hahahahaha.

Looks like Rudd will romp it in in the next election. Love Rudd but he needs to get his act together on the boat people. His biggest let down atm. Get rid of them and he will be trouble free.

Ned Flanders

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am

Postby crashdown » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm

djmenow wrote:
Looks like Rudd will romp it in in the next election. Love Rudd but he needs to get his act together on the boat people. His biggest let down atm. Get rid of them and he will be trouble free.

That's Rudd's only problem? Debt anyone....

Disco Stu

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 pm

crashdown wrote:
djmenow wrote:

I am not a Ruddite, but quite frankly, with the Mad Monk in command of the Liberal Party, I'd vote for Rudd even if he had three heads!

But, just in case, you had better rush down the chemist and buy out all their supply of RU486, crashdown, because if Abbott, by some freak of nature, ever becomes PM; you should expect George Pell to be on his list of choices for Governor General.

Theocracy anyone? :shrugno:

Otto Man

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:
So, the Libs have chosen "the Mad Monk" as the best choice for our next Prime Minister.
Just goes to show that the religious right have now officially taken control of the Liberal Party.

Bring on the double dissolution, and hello electoral oblivion! :chuckel:

They're not looking for a future PM. They know that's not going to happen for a while so they just want someone aggressive & hard-nosed enough to do some damage to the ALP front bench. If they wanted a future PM they would have someone likeable who they believe the voters would like to have as a PM which means probably would've kept Nelson. He's one politician I do feel bad for. His only folly seemed to be that he was a nice person who did seem to care about people which made him an easy target for vicious back-stabbing bastards like Abbott, Hockey & Turdballs.

djmenow wrote:
So the idiots replace a no clue leader with an even more clueless, cant handle stress person. Hahahahaha.

He doesn't need to get his act together. A government only has to appear to be marginally more capable than the opposition to hold office. The ALP can in fact afford to slacken off a few notches. You get a more efficient government when you have an efficient & united opposition watching over & scrutinising them which rarely happens in government. Remember the state of the opposition ALP before Krudd too over?

I'm not a huge Krudd fan. It's not a policy thing, it's just his unbelievably smarmy disposition. How is that relevant? It's not. But if I was looking at a car & a dealer like that came out the door I know I'd leave without buying it (& probably feel dirty).

I still think they would've won even more seats if Gillard was the leader. (A larger number of female voters anyway.) I don't think she's given up on the idea. I'm sure she's already been in Le Cornu's on West Terrace a couple of times picking out the right curtains for the Lodge...

The big winners today was the ALP. They would've prayed for Abbott to win but wouldn't have been expecting it. They will be feeling truly blessed as they have some celebration drinks of their own tonight. The beauty of having a total arseclown like Abbott as opposition leader in parliament is that Krudd, Gillard & Swann won't even have to say anything. All you have to do is let Abbott keep taking & watch him shoot both of his own feet.

It won't last. Remember, he only won by one vote. They're just giving him his time in the sun that he would've been promised by some of the movers & the shakers of the party before the still-dripping knives come back out & they have another new leader or a new-old leader in a few months of time. Some of the departments probably won't even bother changing the letter head & other stationery...

Ned Flanders

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Postby djmenow » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:32 pm

crashdown wrote:
djmenow wrote:

Once the worlds finanaces improve the debt will soon be rid of. Instead of the Liberals riding the wave of world economic boom it will soon be evident that it wasnt Liberals policy that got the countries finances to the way they were, it was the world economic boom.

Abbott had no idea how to run the health portfolio so how on earth will he be able to run a complete party...oh thats right, to a long oblivion in opposition.

Ned Flanders

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:32 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next