AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 The Political Thread 
Message Author

Postby HIPPYD » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 am

The more I see Abbott the more I think he has some form of undiagnosed brain damage. He's just a strange individual in how he acts,talks,looks,walks, just everything about him is not normal. I think Libs would have a much better chance if Turnbull was leader. I normally go labor but even I would vote for Turnbull, could never vote for Abbott.

Judge Roy Snyder

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 am

Postby Laxative Effect » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 pm

HIPPYD wrote:
The more I see Abbott the more I think he has some form of undiagnosed brain damage. He's just a strange individual in how he acts,talks,looks,walks, just everything about him is not normal. I think Libs would have a much better chance if Turnbull was leader. I normally go labor but even I would vote for Turnbull, could never vote for Abbott.

Couldn't agree with you more. Although i don't like either leader avoiding questions about the economy like the plague, Rudd seems like the lesser of the two evils. I just wish he would stop trying to be "true blue". I hate how he acts all blue collar when he is mingling with the people when you can evidently see it is all rehearsed.

Larry Burns

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Postby Laxative Effect » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:25 pm

I found one good thing about Abbott :lol:

S 768x1024 230
M 640x960 206
M 1000x1000 209
M 1024x1024 204

Larry Burns

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Postby phunkyfeelone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Laxative Effect wrote:
HIPPYD wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more. Although i don't like either leader avoiding questions about the economy like the plague, Rudd seems like the lesser of the two evils. I just wish he would stop trying to be "true blue". I hate how he acts all blue collar when he is mingling with the people when you can evidently see it is all rehearsed.

With a population of 23 million, surely there must be at least one suitable person who is likable but not deliberately trying, experienced (both in private and public sectors), has leadership qualities, and makes sound, rational decisions. The problem is while that person most likely exists, they will never be elected leader within their party because they will be voted down by a. the Labour Party cohorts with union tentacles, or b. the LNP toolbox who make expensive promises with no justification for where the funding will come from. Public sector cuts most likely, and sale of government assets.

While i'd like to say i'll vote Green or something like that, the fact is that because we are dominated by two parties, the others don't even get basic media attention, leading the masses to think it's a 2 horse race. At the moment, Abbott simply needs to keep his mouth closed and he'll coast it in. His only glitch is that their is an overwhelming fear as to where the money will come from. Our national debt of $300b or $175b (depending on your view on debt) costs us $12b-$15b a year in interest, double the full cost of the NDIS every year just in interest.

Clive Palmer had the money and media availability, but he is such a dick and hiring more dicks around him, it's a joke and he is wasting his time and money.

Martin Prince

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Postby kirkbright » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Quote:
With a population of 23 million, surely there must be at least one suitable person who is likable but not deliberately trying, experienced (both in private and public sectors), has leadership qualities, and makes sound, rational decisions. The problem is while that person most likely exists, they will never be elected leader within their party because they will be voted down

There is one that does exist, his name's Malcolm Turnbull and yes, he was voted down . . . by 1 vote.

I've heard numerous life-long Labor voters who, when interviewed, have said that if Turnbull was the Liberal leader they'd vote for the coalition.

I echo that sentiment because neither of the incumbents seem to have all of their marbles.

I accept what was said about Abbott before . . . but Rudd is certainly no better. He seems to have most of the test boxes ticked for psycopathy. Just examine his words and his actions over the last 3+ years.

(Incidentally, there's lots of books on the subject that are worth reading . . . a couple that immediately come to mind are "Snakes in Suits" and "Without Conscience")

:smoke:

Carl Carlson

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Postby kirkbright » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Postscript:

I used to vote Greens, actually became a member for a short while.

Since that time, I have formed the opinion that the Greens and the Church of Scientology should merge.

It makes sense to me:

One's a cult pretending to be a political party, the other's a cult pretending to be a church.

Guess that'll put the proverbial cat amongst the proverbial pigeons . . . .

Carl Carlson

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Postby phunkyfeelone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:36 pm

kirkbright wrote:
Quote:
With a population of 23 million, surely there must be at least one suitable person who is likable but not deliberately trying, experienced (both in private and public sectors), has leadership qualities, and makes sound, rational decisions. The problem is while that person most likely exists, they will never be elected leader within their party because they will be voted down

There is one that does exist, his name's Malcolm Turnbull and yes, he was voted down . . . by 1 vote.

I've heard numerous life-long Labor voters who, when interviewed, have said that if Turnbull was the Liberal leader they'd vote for the coalition.

I echo that sentiment because neither of the incumbents seem to have all of their marbles.

I accept what was said about Abbott before . . . but Rudd is certainly no better. He seems to have most of the test boxes ticked for psycopathy. Just examine his words and his actions over the last 3+ years.

(Incidentally, there's lots of books on the subject that are worth reading . . . a couple that immediately come to mind are "Snakes in Suits" and "Without Conscience")

I agree with the Turnbull, have seen him speak a few times, he is calm and collected and seems to put rationality before vote-grabbing, in the knowledge that in the end, the votes will come if you do the right thing. I even think there was a thought of the Liberals doing the switch, but they would get more mileage out of the Gillard-Rudd switch than they would gain from an internal switch. Look for Abbott to lead first term, Turnbull to take over in 2015-2016 leading into the next election.

But look at the scenario, half of the people in the party voted for a peanut like Abbott, what does that say about half of the rest of them? Abbott doesn't make policy himself, his ministers come up with the hair-brained schemes, he's just the first goat. Example; Paid parental leave policy is a disgrace. Why not just make everyone contribute a percentage from salary to a PPL fund, which can be drawn on at 75% of salary at the time of leave for 6 months (or 37.5% for 12 months), then 25% for the next 3 years to help with child care. Equal for men as well. Whatever is left over at retirement is rolled into super, therefore not disadvantaging singles or DINKs either. I don't like paying bogans to have kids... :evil:

Martin Prince

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:17 pm

phunkyfeelone wrote:
Whatever is left over at retirement is rolled into super, therefore not disadvantaging singles or DINKs either. I don't like paying bogans to have kids... :evil:

I'm not DINK, instead, I'm SUNK! Self-employed, Unmarried, No Kids. EVERYONE wants to stick their hand in my back pocket. :no:

Having said that, I accept that which will always be the case (bad luck for me).

I'd vote for Malcom Turnbull, but I am under no illusion that he is a saint (remember "Ute Gate" and Gretsch?). He also is YET ANOTHER FUCKING LAWYER IN PARLIAMENT.
Also, I don't understand his Broadband policy, and I've been working in IT for 15 years. :roll:

My Lower house vote is next to useless, as Labor holds my electorate by more than %13. Therefore it doesn't matter who I vote for in the Lower house. The Senate is the only place where my vote might count.

In the end, I'll probably end up voting Green (again); not because I think they are so great (in fact I think some of their economic policies are a bit too left-wing and loopy), but I attach great importance to the balance of power in the Senate, and with "Stop the Bytes\Boats\Debts" Abbott in control of both houses, there will be "a pox on both our(sic) houses".

...and Labor? Meh! :shrugno:

Last edited by HumphreyBBear on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otto Man

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Postby kirkbright » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:40 pm

I was the same as you Humph . . . self employed, that is, until late last year. Probably like you I didn't get any of the 'stimulus' handouts, don't get any payments to keep children or make any more of them . . . so I spat the dummy and closed the business.

The best way I can describe myself these days is:

Idle
Morose
Financially
Underwhelmed
Childless
Kindhearted
Emotional
Disaster

I'll let you work out what it spells . . . :smoke:

Carl Carlson

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Postby Laxative Effect » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 pm

phunkyfeelone wrote:
With a population of 23 million, surely there must be at least one suitable person who is likable but not deliberately trying, experienced (both in private and public sectors), has leadership qualities, and makes sound, rational decisions.

But that' the problem. When it comes down to it, both leaders (Rudd and Abbott) are only aiming to please the half they know will vote for them. They rather have guaranteed votes than putting everyone on equal footing in terms of policies. It's just a safer option that way.

kirkbright wrote:

He would be a great candidate but i doubt you will see that happen. He is too much of an individual and wont play by his party's rules. Its a shame really.

I still have yet to read up on all the policies both party's offer. That is what my vote will come down do, not personal preference. And as for the Greens and other party's, i honestly don't even take them into consideration. It is after all, a two horse race.

Larry Burns

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next