View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 The Political Thread 
Message Author

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:07 pm

OMFG! Seriously guys, I think I must be losing my mind! :dizzy:

Because..,because..,because, I THINK I ACTUALLY AGREE WITH CLIVE PALMER!!!! :shock:

Let Legitimate Asylum Seekers fly here

Granted, this is a tragic issue (people are dying), but compared to the rest of the countries faced with this problem, our problems are minor, and all the debate seems to revolve around taking as few Asylum Seekers as possible (assumedly, if you listen between the lines - none), regardless of our UN commitments .

Perhaps someone can explain it in lay man's terms to me; because I just don't understand why we can't fix whatever issues exist in our legal framework in order to cope with onshore processing, and get on with it. :roll:

Otto Man

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Postby djmenow » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 pm

I say give Christmas Island to Indonesia and make it part of them. It is no where near Oz and boat people wont go this far to Oz.

Send em all back and let Indonesia deal with them.

Ned Flanders

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Postby Ugly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 pm

I saw last night that we are "giving" the Indonesians 3 C-130 aircraft.

Should be simple to fill each of them with rejected illegals before they lift off?

Itchy the Mouse

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Postby djmenow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm

So agree with the above. Also we are giving Indonesia millions of more in aid for them to deal with the smugglers.

Oh how gutless we are.

Ned Flanders

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Postby wolverine » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 am

I am not cheering for "queue jumpers" but I also understand that in the end most of these people are determined to be genuine refugees. You can't tell me a boatload of people coming from Sri Lanka is a bunch of hippies who couldn't be bothered visiting an Australian Embassy and chose to jump on a boat instead. There was an intense war going on there and there are hundreds of thousands of people misplaced and unable to return home, living in camps with no prospects, or even safety when they return home.

If you were to monitor the type of people who usually come on boats, they are usually from whatever hotspot there is in the world currently. Over the last few years we've seen Afghans, Iraqis and Sri Lankans, and I bet next we'll be seeing Syrians. We don't see Indonesians, Malaysians or Chinese. In the end, well over 90% of these people get refugee visas, so that should tell you something. As has been said many times, you need to worry about those coming in by plane, they are far more numerous and cunning. How else would they be able to pay for a plane ticket, which would cost en entire year's wages where they come from?

I also understand that all my arguments are futile, I see the same disdain for boat people from talking to my wife, so what hope is there of convincing Australian public in general? :sigh:

Capo Bastone

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Quote:
"Mr Abbott was sitting in the front passenger seat of his Comcar which was taking him to a private function in Brisbane when a woman on a scooter hit the car as it passed through an intersection."

"Mr Abbott gave the woman first aid until police and other emergency services arrived at the scene, his spokesman said."

Lucky for the woman she didn't hit Sophie Mirabella's car: She could have bled to death while Sophie looked on! :no:

Source: The Age

Otto Man

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

I am curious as to which Australian Broadband Model our members think fits our country best.
The Coalition's or Labor's?

FWIW: Here's my position.

I think Labor's policy is better, because, as (I think it was) Tony Windsor said, "You build it once".
Yes, it is more expensive, and there will be more capacity than we need right now, but growth in data exchange is increasing at a phenomenal rate.
I would not be surprised if the Coalition's model would require further expense the day after it is officially completed.
Under Labor's model I know what the total cost will be for world class BB; under the Coalition's model we would not get world class BB, and the cost to bring it up to world class BB is unknown.

Do we need world class BB at all? I think so, but what are your thoughts? :?:

Otto Man

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:
I am curious as to which Australian Broadband Model our members think fits our country best.
The Coalition's or Labor's?

FWIW: Here's my position.

I think Labor's policy is better, because, as (I think it was) Tony Windsor said, "You build it once".
Yes, it is more expensive, and there will be more capacity than we need right now, but growth in data exchange is increasing at a phenomenal rate.
I would not be surprised if the Coalition's model would require further expense the day after it is officially completed.
Under Labor's model I know what the total cost will be for world class BB; under the Coalition's model we would not get world class BB, and the cost to bring it up to world class BB is unknown.

Do we need world class BB at all? I think so, but what are your thoughts? :?:

Best solution would have been high speed in capital cities and major centres, with wireless or other for regional centres.

Mind you, everything in Australia magically costs billions more than it does in other countries (including Europe). High Speed broadband, high speed trains, digital television...the government piss money up against the wall on $2k a day consultants who they happen to have personal relationships with. Complete lack of ethics, and we pay for it.

Martin Prince

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 am

phunkyfeelone wrote:
Best solution would have been high speed in capital cities and major centres, with wireless or other for regional centres.

When you say "high speed", do you mean FTTN or FTTH?
Also, are you suggesting that people living in regional Australia have no need for "high speed", now or in the foreseeable future?

Otto Man

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 am

Postby Laxative Effect » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Anyone got any opinions on the election campaign so far? I for one could not care less. :cofee: Although i don't mind seeing Abbot's daughter on TV whenever i can. :ohyes:

Larry Burns

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next