AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 518 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 52  Next
 This Mortal Coil 
Message Author

Postby Macc » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 pm

The statement said he passed over. In true Pitkin style, I'd like to think he tripped over. :smile:

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Postby Macc » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Quote:
Soul master Solomon Burke passes away

The singer, preacher and mortuary-owner Solomon Burke passed away from natural causes at Holland's Amsterdam-Schiphol airport.

The Philadephia soulman is considered to be one of the most underrated artists of the soul era, even though he had his first hit at the age of 14 and his tune Everybody Needs Somebody To Love was a hit for The Rolling Stones and The Blues Brothers.

Burke has also had an amazingly diverse career, running the family mortuary business and working as a preacher too.

"They don't do the cartwheels every day," he told 702 Drive of his church, "[but] we have an orchestra, three different choirs" and he admitted he does burst in to song at some services.

Add in the 21 children and some 90 grandchildren and 19 great-great-grandchildren and he was a busy man, even having a role as one of the centrepieces to Nick Hornby's musical obsession in the novel High Fidelity.

He was 70 when he passed away on Sunday 10 October, 2010.

Milhouse Van Houten

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 am

Dame Joan Sutherland has died.
Quote:
DAME Joan Sutherland, the Australian opera singer who became one of the greatest coloratura sopranos of the 20th century, has died in Switzerland at the age of 83.
Source: The Age

This will sadden my mum no end. :sad:

Otto Man

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 am

Postby Macc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:07 am

Quote:
Opera great Joan Sutherland dies

Dame Joan Sutherland retired to a Swiss town and had made few public appearances in recent years. (Reuters: Shaun Heasley)

One of the great opera singers of the 20th century, Dame Joan Sutherland, has died aged 83.

The Australian soprano died at her Swiss home after a long illness.

Known as La Stupenda for her incredible voice and performances, she was well known in the opera houses of Europe, North America and, of course, her native Australia.

She had been suffering ill health for some time and died at home with her husband, conductor Richard Bonynge, and son Adam at her side.

In later years she retired to a Swiss town near Montreux and had made few public appearances in recent years.

Opera singers and directors from around the world have been praising the prodigious talent and generous spirit of a woman credited with sharing her knowledge with many up and coming young performers.

Dame Joan came to prominence in the late 1950s and soon earned her nickname after a performance in Italy in 1960.

She performed with many great singers during her career, including Luciano Pavarotti, who described her as having "the voice of the century".

Her most famous role was the lead in Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor, which she performed 233 times.

Dame Joan said a lot of her success could be traced back to lessons she learnt from her mother while growing up in Sydney.

"I think I learned a great deal at her knee. I used to sit down underneath the piano stool while she practiced," Sutherland said.

"She used to practice, although she didn't sing professionally, she still kept up her scales and exercises and vocalese and I learnt so many of these from about the age of three.

"We used to stand around the piano and sing duets and trios and so on.

"I wasn't actually trained by my mother. She said she never taught me, but she was a great singer herself."

Her funeral will be a small family commemoration.

Milhouse Van Houten

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:07 am

Postby HumphreyBBear » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 am

Paul the Octopus dies.

Quote:
Paul the Octopus, who accurately predicted the result of every German soccer match as well as the final in this year's World Cup in South Africa, has died...

...Paul's remains will be cremated.

Link The Age

Vale Paul, we will all mourn your passing. :sad:

On another note: I ate char grilled baby octopus the other night and it was fantastic! :grin:

Otto Man

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 am

Postby locky1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Three-time surfing world champion Andy Irons has died from an illness on his way home to Hawaii from a surfing event.

The 32-year-old American was forced to withdraw from the current men's tour event in Puerto Rico.

His family has confirmed he was found dead on Tuesday after being too ill to board a connecting flight - believed to be from Dallas - to his home in Kauai.

The Assocation of Surfing Professionals (ASP) said Irons "had reportedly been battling with dengue fever, a viral disease."

Irons won three consecutive world titles from 2002 to 2004.

He is the only professional surfer to win at every location on the world tour, racking up 20 elite tour victories in a terrific 12-year career.

Irons's last event win came in Tahiti in early September.

Irons leaves behind pregnant wife Lyndie Dupuis who is due to give birth within a month.

ASP international media manager Dave Prodan says Irons's death is a massive blow to the world sporting community.

"This is in my opinion one of the most devastating losses, not just to the surfing world, but to the international sporting community in general," he said from Puerto Rico.

"Obviously Andy was more than just a three-time ASP world champion. He was a hero to literally millions of kids who surfed and who didn't surf around the world, and to grown-ups as well.

"I can't imagine the impact this is going to have but it's certainly something that we will feel the world over for many years to come."

Mr Prodan says ASP extends its thoughts and sympathies to Irons's family.

"It's a massive blow here to everyone in Puerto Rico just finding out in the last hour, so we're all sorting through the feelings at the moment ... it's an incredible shock," he said.

"Andy has been a staple in the professional sporting world for over a decade and this year marked a rebuilding year for him and he's been winning events and surfing incredibly well.

"I think throughout his career people would say that he is one of the healthiest, strongest individuals you've ever met."

Mr Prodan said the world surfing community is like a brotherhood, and that Australians will be hit hard by the news.

"I can only imagine the impact that they're feeling in Australia - especially close friends such as Joel Parkinson and Mick Fanning," he said.

"I mean Andy was celebrated the world over and celebrated as one of the best surfers in the world and Australia is a country that reveres surfing so I can only imagine the entire country is feeling this at the moment."

Irons was one of the few surfers to consistently match nine-time world champion and fellow American Kelly Slater.

"He was probably the first surfer to challenge him (Slater) and really set the surfing world alight," Mr Prodan said.

"I think people will remember Andy for his unparalleled ability and overall comprehensive approach to surfing.

"He never compromised anything, whether it be his approach, or his competitive tactics or anything."

Ned Flanders

Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Postby atefooterz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Models frontman and bass guitarist James Freud has died.

Quote:
Australia's music industry is reeling following the death of the Models frontman James Freud today.

The 51-year-old singer took his own life following a long struggle with drug and alochol addiction, just one week after the Melbourne band was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame.

Musician Scott Carne, of '80s band Kids in the Kitchen, said Freud's bandmates were devastated by the news.

"It was one of the great '80s bands that shaped the music of Australia today," Carne said.
"They're the band that took us under their wing and took Kids in the Kitchen on our first ever East Coast tour."

Freud was the band's bassist and lead singer.

Music promoter and close friend Michael Gudinski said Freud would be "greatly missed".

"James's battle with alcoholism has been well chronicled. His two books on his recovery and five years' sobriety were bestsellers and gave a lot of people who were suffering the same affliction comfort and hope," Gudinski said this afternoon.

"Unfortunately, James has succumbed to his disease and taken his own life this morning."

Gudinski said Freud should be remembered as one of Australia’s shining lights in the music industry.

"James was a true pioneer – he successfully crossed over from Australia’s burgeoning punk scene in the early '80s, to then create some of the most played tracks in Australia’s recording history."

Police confirmed a 51 year-old man was found dead by family members at his Hawthorn home about 9.30am.

They said the circumstances were not suspicious.

The Models were inducted into ARIA's Hall of Fame just last week in Sydney, but Freud did not attend the ceremony. The official reason given was that he was busy with committments related to the band Attack of the Mannequins, which is fronted by his two sons.

Santa's Little Helper

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 pm
Profile WWW

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Leslie Nielsen dead @ 84

Source: The Age

Shirley, you can't be serious!

Who said "only the good die young"? :no:

Vale Mr Nielsen, I loved your work.

Otto Man

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Postby Macc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Quote:
Man behind Mr Squiggle dies

The man who played Mr Squiggle in the ABC series of the same name has died after a long illness in Sydney.

Norman Hetherington worked initially as a cartoonist before venturing into television in the late 1950s and pursuing his interest in puppetry.

Initially intended as a temporary fill-in, his show Mr Squiggle - written by his wife - ran on ABC TV for 40 years, ending in 1999.

Mr Hetherington died this morning at Greenwich Hospital, aged 89.

He is survived by his wife Margaret, a son, a daughter and two grandchildren.

S 316x421 107

Milhouse Van Houten

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Postby Macc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Quote:
Gus Mercurio dies aged 82

Actor Gus Mercurio has died in Melbourne after complications from surgery, aged 82.

He first hit fame in Australia in the 1970s and was best known for his roles in several Australian television serials including Power Without Glory and films such as The Man From Snowy River.

The American-born actor was also a professional boxer.

He died after complications arose during an operation for a chest aneurism at a Melbourne hospital.

His actor and dancer son, Paul Mercurio, says his father was a great character.

"There's a little bit of sunshine that's just gone out and will never be replaced," he said.

"It's a great shame. I would have loved for him to have written his autobiography because he had a few secrets that he didn't tell, but he was a lovely man.

"He was a larger-than-life bloke. He was passionate. He was driven.

"He had a great, a wonderful confidence ... he was a pain in the arse quite often because of that and yet he lived with such fervour that he was magnetic."

Paul Mercurio says his father loved his profession.

"We would often get together and just lament the fact that we always wanted to work," he said.

"Dad was 82 and he loved the business, he loved getting in front of the camera and he loved people."

Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Gus Mercurio was also a qualified boxing referee, marine and chiropractor. He was also the president of the Australian Boxing Hall of Fame.

Among his television shows were Cash And Company and Tandarra.

He also appeared in films including The Blue Lagoon, Turkey Shoot, Crocodile Dundee II and others.

Gus Mercurio is survived by his partner and six children.

Milhouse Van Houten

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 518 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 52  Next