AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 53 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Is the NBL going to survive? 
Message Author

Postby djmenow » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:08 am

It is the sign of the times when clubs are going under every year, so is the NBL going to survive in the longterm?
My suggestion is to look at bringing in a Chinese or New Zealand side in as I think no doubt it will bring in the investors especially the Chinese because sometimes they go all out to support their sporting sides.
Just a suggestion...

Ned Flanders

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:08 am

Postby purcto » Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:05 pm

Bring in a CHINESE side? Good God, man! Have you lost your mind? Assuming the Chinese would even WANT to be a part of our competition, the logistics and costs of such an idea would be phenomenal. Especially after the crash of sponsor Ansett, it costs the league and teams enough in travelling expenses just to get around this country, without having to go to China every week or so.

Introducing a New Zealand team makes a bit more sense, but considering there are plenty of AUSTRALIAN regions not currently represented in the NBL (ie Tasmania, Gold Coast, etc) and there are plenty of existing teams struggling to get by as it is, they should be the league's top priority.

It's not often I denigrate somebody's idea/s, but having the NBL bring in a new team from China is possibly the most ridiculous proposition I have ever heard in my entire life.

Obtaining a major sponsor and free-to-air television coverage would be a good and much more realistic starting point in trying to ensure the NBL's survival.

Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:05 pm

Postby djmenow » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:49 pm

1st thing, Gold Coast Rollers survived a long time didn't they. So did The Hobart Tassie Devils etc. No one in Australia can afford to come into our league now. 2nd thing, the Chinese/Japanese team was an idea that has been floated around before a few years back. Costs are against it but the Chinese and Japanese economy is very strong and I am sure they would look at subsidising travelling costs to be involved in one of the strongest leagues in the world. I am not saying the Aust sides would travel every week there but 6/10 games a year there totally wouldn't be stupid. Plus it exposes our league to potential investors.

It is only an idea which probably won't happen but hey I want the league to survive just like anyone.

Ned Flanders

Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:49 pm

Postby therock » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:52 am

The NBL need a naming rights sponsor and free to air TV to survive..JMO :)

Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:52 am

Postby purcto » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:13 pm

Amen, brother!

Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:13 pm

Postby djmenow » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:32 am

In the long term, coz the fight for the sposorship dollar and big corps going down like 10 pins, we need to maybe look at other options to make the NBL survive. If there is no NBL, there will be no TV coverage full stop. I would love there to be a TV station willing to give the NBL another shot full time (it certainly warrants it) but even with the stations severley cutting costs, there is little chance of that happening. Local stations might neg with team owners to show a few games like the Wildcats do with CH7 Perth but I can't see it being full time.
I don't want out comp being expanded overseas, but to see us survive, it might have to happen.

Ned Flanders

Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:32 am

Postby djmenow » Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:00 am

Sign of the times. The NBL is talking about reducing the salary cap for each club by $100k a year to help struggling clubs out.
Plus they are investigating the possibility of playing the GF series over a NBA style 7 games. I agree with that especially if you lose the 1st at home and then you have to win the 2nd to put it into the 3rd and deciding. At least with the 7 game series in the Grand Final most GF's sell out no matter where it is so it increases revenue for each club involved which means more profit (They hope). Plus it gives each GF side an even chance of winning.
Phil Smythe is against the idea, Gorrjian is for it for the future of the league, plus with Goorjians luck in GF series :wink: his sides might have a chance of winning more GF's if it is extended to best out of 7.

Ned Flanders

Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:00 am

Postby therock » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:42 pm

I don't think the clubs can afford to be flying to China and NZ ...without major financial backing ....the league is in trouble ....sponsors ...and free to air TV is what's needed ....how does the WNBL ..get airplay on free to air ?????

Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:42 pm

Postby fluid-man » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:28 am

basketball failed to capatalise on the momentum it gathered in the early 90's. it will always be around, but it will never be THE sport.

I remember I used to be basketball mad in 88-92 andrew gaze, pony sneakers and all watching the games in prime time weekend tv playing in local clubs etc. I am not an expert on it's decline, but it is largely to do with that the sport is not played at its pinnacle in this country, we all know the NBA is the real deal, same sort of thing with soccer too... they are not in the culture like soccer is in europe or NBA in the US.

That is why cricket, the two football codes and a few other sports are so popular in AU. they are played at the highest pro level here, and we dominate in the sport worldwide.

Maggie's Pacifier

Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:28 am

Postby djmenow » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:39 am

therock wrote:
how does the WNBL ..get airplay on free to air ?????

One word "Cheap".

Ned Flanders

Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:39 am
Reply to topic 
 [ 53 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next