AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 6 posts ] 
 female footy players 
Message Author

Postby gregorius » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 am

jeff kennett says he'd like it to happen. sounds unlikely?

Carl Carlson

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Well, I do support the plight of female soldiers & feel that they should be front line combat soldiers if that's what they want to do. If they pass what is required of them physically & mentally then why not? The job should always go to the best man (even if the best man is a woman).

I feel the same way about football. If you have a mixed gender squad to select from & there are some women in there who proved themselves & that they have the skills & can rough it with the best of them then why not?

The difference, I think, regarding the plight of female soldiers & female footballers is that, in the field of warfare & combat, bullets, grenades, bayonets, mines & going to hurt, kill & maim you just as much whether you have a penis or not.

But football isn't warfare, it's a recreational pursuit & a form of entertainment so, instead of accepting severe physical damage as "all part of it" we try to take steps to reduce it. Having women involved the way that the game is played today could serve to increase it. You could have a brilliant female full forward who out leaps & marks all the men & has a beautiful clean kick but how would she go matching up on a fifteen stone male full back? If he did tackle her which resulted in her being taken off in a stretcher, would being on a football field & playing within the rules publicly give him sufficient impunity for what he'd just done?

I think what we need to ask ourselves is; are we yet ready to cheer &/or teach our children to cheer for a man tackling & potentially causing some physical harm to a woman (especially with all the bad publicity currently going around about certain AFL & NRL players abusing women in their private lives)?

If not then I think they'd need to ice some significant changes to the rules (especially about tackling & contact) & perhaps how the game is played which could be problematic to many football fans who believe the sport is becoming too sanitised already. This may also have a counter-productive effect because changing the rules just so women can play can be interpreted as just much of a sexist attitude as not allowing them to play in the first place...

Ned Flanders

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby gregorius » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:49 am

tend to think along similar lines, esp about the problems caused by a males natural inclination to go soft on the female gender and how this will effect the outcome of sport if inter-sex comps actually occur.

re- the armed forces, do understand that the israeli armed forces had women or have woman in their services [fighting on front line though?] so maybe esp when in serious need. Although am given to understand the israeli's dumped them thru all troubles associated with these.

But a female with the physical capabilitiy on a footy/rugby field would have to be a rarity hermaphrodite maybe?

are some pretty powerful specimens of womanhood round though and many cases also of weak examples of masculinity too.

with all the gender equalisation about, maybe its time.

Basically itll either be real gender equality [if women succed in the battle field or on the football field] or it'll be plainly obvious the real physical lack of it

Last edited by gregorius on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Carlson

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:49 am

Postby gregorius » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 pm

though in all honesty it would be nice to see some of these young angry feminists get given the chance to play footy with No softly softly approach and then possibly they'll see the practicle side to being female.

may change an attitude or two!

Carl Carlson

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:05 pm

They already have women's rugby comps, and if fit young women want to run around in tight shorts and singlet tops who are we to discourage them?

Carl Carlson

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Me too! Especially football because they'd be wearing even less! :lol:

The point I was getting at at my earlier posts is whether or not they should be playing in the same comp as the men... :???:

BTW, for the record, female sumo wrestlers I'm wholeheartedly against! :spewsmiliewhichwedonthaveanymore:

Ned Flanders

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 6 posts ]