AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 44 posts ] 
 South Dragons 
Message Author

Postby djmenow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Rumour has it BG has signed with the Dragons and an announcement is supposedly happening in the coming week.

Ned Flanders

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Postby djmenow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm

^^^ Turns out it is true.

Quote:
Dragons get their man
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:56 AM

Brian Goorjian Five-time National Basketball League championship-winning coach Brian Goorjian will coach the South Dragons for the next three seasons, Dragons chairman Mark Cowan announced on Tuesday.

The most successful coach in NBL history - he was named coach of the league's 25-year anniversary team - Goorjian joins the Dragons after winning three national titles with the Sydney Kings, who he led to the grand final in five of his six seasons in the harbour city.

"I'm delighted to be returning to Melbourne, where I began my career as an NBL head coach and spent my first 15 years as a coach in this league," Goorjian, the NBL's reigning coach of the year, said.

"Melbourne is a great basketball city and one that has enjoyed outstanding success over the years. I look forward to making a further contribution to that tradition of success with an organisation I am confident will be an NBL power, on and off the court."

"I'm driven to help make this club the best in the National Basketball League and it is a challenge I am genuinely excited about. I urge the Melbourne sporting public to get behind the Crazy John's South Dragons for what I expect will be an exciting and ultimately successful ride."

Before joining the Kings for the 2002-03 season, Goorjian coached the Eastside Melbourne Spectres (1988-1991), South East Melbourne Magic (1992-1998) and Victoria Titans (1998-2002).

Goorjian, who will coach the Australian men's national team (the Boomers) at the Beijing Olympics in August, has won more games as a coach (487) than any man in NBL history and is one of only two men to coach more than 600 games (697) - Melbourne Tigers legend Lindsay Gaze is the other.

A veteran of 21 NBL seasons, Goorjian has coached in 19 consecutive playoff campaigns - a remarkable streak dating back to 1990. He has won five championships (two with the South East Melbourne Magic, 1992 and 1996, and three with the Sydney Kings, 2002/03, 2003/04 and 2004/05) and reached the grand final 12 times.

He is a five-time winner of the NBL's prestigious coach of the year award - the most recent of them coming last season after he led the Kings to a franchise-best 27-3 regular-seasonwin-loss record.

Crazy John's South Dragons chairman Mark Cowan said Goorjian's appointment was a major windfall for the club.

"We are proud to be able to announce Brian Goorjian as our head coach for the next three years. He started his coaching career in Victoria and it is great to welcome him back."

"This is a significant coup for our club and I am sure Brian's arrival will be a turning point in our on-court fortunes."

Ned Flanders

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Postby djmenow » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Mark Worthington has rejected the Wildcats bid for his services and has decsided that he wants to go to the Dragons following BG there.

Ned Flanders

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Postby therock » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Goorjian is coach now...has a great record..watch for an inprove

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Postby djmenow » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 pm

Quote:
Worthington becomes a Dragon
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:34 PM

Mark Worthington The South Dragons announced the recruitment of one of the biggest names in the NBL on Tuesday, with former Kings star Mark Worthington signed to the club to the end of the 2010/11 season.

Worthington joins the Dragons on the back of an outstanding year with the Sydney Kings in which he averaged 17.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

His remarkable 2007/08 season was capped with selection to the All-NBL First Team.

At just 24 years of age, Worthington has already achieved success beyond his years. A veteran of two NBL grand final series and one semi-final showdown with the Kings, Worthington is also a current member of the Boomers squad and was part of the team to win gold at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

The 2006 NBL Rookie of the Year joins 2007 Rookie of the Year Joe Ingles on the Dragons' new-look roster.

The 202 centimetre, 95 kilogram forward said he was excited about the move and positive about the club's future.

"I look at it as an opportunity for a new beginning for both the club and myself," Worthington said.

"The enthusiasm the club has and the passion of the people running it, it's a great chance to turn the club around and it's already going in a positive direction with the signing of Brian Goorjian."

"Just talking to (Crazy John's South Dragons chairman) Mark Cowan about what the club is putting into place, it will definitely go up three notches to where it was last year."

"Obviously I want to continue the success I had last season and I look forward to doing that in Dragons' colours."

Worthington said the recruitment of Goorjian to the club was one of the major reasons behind his decision to move south.

"Brian's never done anything wrong by me, he's always steered me in the right direction and I think this is another opportunity within a different environment for us to shine together," he said.

"I just think it's a great chance for us to do something special."

Prior to his signing with the Kings Worthington spent four years at Metropolitan State University, Denver. In his time with the elite college team Worthington was named to the NABC All-American team and named NABC Division II Player of the Year.

Newly-appointed South Dragons head coach Brian Goorjian said Worthington had fast become one of the most exciting talents on the Australian basketball scene.

"It's an exciting time for the club because we have signed a great young player," Goorjian said.

"He is NBL First Team and is a versatile, young, exciting talent.

"More than that he is a great club guy and offers a lot off the floor as well. He is an integral part of the Australian team, so altogether it's a pretty good package."

South Dragons chairman Mark Cowan said the signing of Worthington, touted as the premier player on this year's NBL free agents list, was a massive coup for the club.

"This is a very big day for our basketball club," Cowan said.

"Mark was clearly the marquee player on the free agents list, and on the back of signing Brian Goorjian, this is huge. He will no doubt be one of the cornerstones of our team next season.

"Like the rest of the squad he is still young at 24 years old, and that suits us just fine."

Worthington joins Ingles, Matt Burston amd Nathan Herbert on the Dragons' new-season roster.

Ned Flanders

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 pm

Postby therock » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Watch what goorjian does

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Postby Bruckman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:34 pm

therock wrote:
Watch what goorjian does
He'll attract guys who want to play for him. (Wortho's jumped from Sydney, Smith's rumoured to be the next to follow, plus Bri' just has a habit of attracting guys who want to work for him.) And then whiny bitches will imply the salary cap is being breached, because all sportsmen care only about $$. :P

Maaaaan. Stupid frickin' Sydney management. Honestly.

Selma Bouvier

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Postby djmenow » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Smith and Vukona have signed for the Dragons officially.

Ned Flanders

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Postby therock » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Who wouldn't want to play under goorjian ???

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Postby djmenow » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm

therock wrote:
Who wouldn't want to play under goorjian ???

Me... His plays are so 1 dimensional. Yes he has had alot of success but his teams are very boring.

Ned Flanders

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 44 posts ]