AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 83 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Stargate: SG-1 
Message Author

Postby neilzy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:33 am

It was bound to happen, the show has lived its life and can go with the title of longest running sci-fi ever.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=37607
SG-1 Ends Run; Atlantis Back

SCI FI Channel confirmed that it will not renew its record-breaking original series Stargate SG-1 for another season, but will pick up its spinoff series Stargate Atlantis for a fourth year. SG-1 aired its 200th episode on Aug. 18, and the SF series is the longest-running SF show on American television.

SCI FI issued the following statement on Aug. 21: "SCI FI Channel is proud to be the network that brought Stargate SG-1 to its record-breaking 10th season. Ten seasons and 215 episodes is an astounding, Guinness World Record-setting accomplishment. Stargate is a worldwide phenomenon. Having achieved so much over the course of the past 10 years, SCI FI believes that the time is right to make this season their last on the channel. SCI FI is honored to have been part of the Stargate legacy for five years, and we look forward to continuing to explore the Stargate universe with our partners at MGM through a new season of Stargate Atlantis."

Stargate SG-1, developed for television by executive producers Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner, is based on the 1994 feature film Stargate. SG-1, which originally starred Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge, began on Showtime, then moved to SCI FI after five seasons. The current cast includes Tapping, Shanks and Judge and newcomers Ben Browder, Claudia Black and Beau Bridges. It airs Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Maggie's Pacifier

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:33 am

Postby The Stig » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:21 pm

so the last season on SCI FI.... so maybe not the end of the show.. it could get picked up by another channel given its popularity

Disco Stu

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Yep! Yet another quality scifi series gets the chop...

I feel another tantrum comning on like the one I had on page 5 but can't be stuffed typing it all out so am just gonna re-post it:

SKaVeN wrote:
Maybe... but they never bothered picking up Andromeda (aka: Hercules in Space) or Earth: Final Conflict. I've got the box-sets for the first four seasons of Andromeda but insofar as E:FC - which was a cracking good show - I've only seen the first season on VHS...

The kids these days just aren't into sci-fi anymore. They're more into all the reality TV/celebrity game show dial all these SMS numbers to vote for their favourite C-grade celebrity has-been singing & dancing with queer-eyed chefs who do garden make-overs, while entertaining shows like Andromeda & Enterprise get axed...

It annoys me because the only single genre that has always been constant, since the flying saucers on the local Sunday matinee in the '50s & The Twilight Zone & The Outer Limits on TV in the '60s, right through until today is undoubtedly sci-fi. Cheeky private detective shows, heartfelt hospital dramas, compelling police crime series, etc., etc., etc. always come & go by sci-fi is always around somewhere - proving it's popularity.

So, as always, the big quest is; why is it constantly treated with such contempt?

I think that's made my opinion on the matter abundantly clear!

Ned Flanders

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby piggyboy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:21 pm

I missed the episode this past Thursday (24/08/06) as I set the vid recorder wrong. Every time I miss an ep, it turns out to be important, or have a vital bit of info that is crucial down the track. Can anyone tell me what happened?

Ralph Wiggum

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Is there any sci-fi series made in the last 20 years that Tony Todd hasn't appeared in multiple times???

And is anyone else still as sour as me that this show has been cancelled? It seems that soon as someone tries to make a few changes to the previous format (eg: the new-look Stargate, Enterprise, etc.) it just gets cancelled. Don't people (ie: network producers & the so-called fans) realise that in order for anything to survive & keep going it has to be prepared to allow change?

Ned Flanders

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:44 am

I've been slowly working my way through the season 9 box-set.

Pretty good value for money; special features on each disc & audio commentaries on every episode.

One interesting point they made is that the season opener for season 9 was actually written as the intended pilot of another new Stargate series "Stargate Command". With the end of the Go'auld & Replicators story arcs, they originally felt it was time to start up a new show in it's place - "Stargate Command" to be about searching for where the Ancients came from & "Stargate: Atlantas" finding out where they went.

Ned Flanders

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:44 am

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 pm

I see Channel 7 has already pulled it this week in favour of yet another "Lost" special. Didn't take them long this time, did it? :roll:

Ned Flanders

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:42 am

SKaVeN wrote:
I see Channel 7 has already pulled it this week in favour of yet another "Lost" special. Didn't take them long this time, did it? :roll:

:x - Yes, I was pissed off when I saw that! Three episodes into the series and it gets bumped, and then they have the cheek to claim "sci fi doesn't rate", channel nine is just as bad. Thank god Dr Who is on the ABC.

Otto Man

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:42 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 am

Yes, let's hope that Aunty buys the next series too, & doesn't have it stolen by one of the commercial channels... :shock:

Ned Flanders

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:12 pm

WTF?!!! They're actually putting it on after The Poo's Age of Love crap! Oh, FFS!!!

Ned Flanders

Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:12 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 83 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next