AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 28 posts ] 
 Top Gear (Australian version) 
Message Author

Postby muhutmah » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:34 pm

I think you need a true aussie as a host so I sugest Alf from 'home and away' as a new host.

Maggie's Pacifier

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm

:lol: Imagine that!

"Streuth, cobbers! Those flamin' mongrels just accidentally me whole Reg Grundies! Fair dinkum! Just ask that bloomin' sheila."

Ned Flanders

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Postby narly » Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Oh poo , there back :no: :bored: :google: :sadblinky: :ashamed: :omfg: :pale: :puker:

Troy McLure

Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Postby redfive » Mon May 11, 2009 3:25 am

Last year's immitation was just sad. I'd rather watch old episodes of Top Gear (UK) or repeats of Mythbusters.
Warren Brown was good in "Peking to Paris" but he was cast as their James May so we're told he knows nothing about cars.
Steve Pizzati was their Richard Hammond last year but has he been promoted to the Jeremy Clarkson role?
Where does James Morrison fit in?
I'm happy to see Charlie Cox gone. He tried too hard to impersonate Clarkson and came across as a poor parody.

I'll have a look at Top Gear Australia but it has a long way to go to get near the original.

Todd Flanders

Mon May 11, 2009 3:25 am

Postby SKaVeN » Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 pm

narly wrote:
Oh poo , there back :no: :bored: :google: :sadblinky: :ashamed: :omfg: :pale: :puker:

Yup. They've managed to pull another rabbit out of the hat. Another dead one...

Ned Flanders

Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Postby christelvr69 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:52 pm

you have to give credit where it is due guys!

the UK version of top gear is in i think its 13th series. if you watch the older series that SBS has been replaying, you will see that its not as funny or witty as the newer series. Which obviously means it has taken the uk team a long time to perfect their craft.

The Australian version has a lot to live up to obviously, it is very hard to compare a series just starting out to one that has been on air for nearly 7 years.

As far as the stories go, i feel they are on the right track. they are funny (some of the comedy is overdone some). they have a good mix of cars and stories.

i know it is easy to say that the show is "crap" and "lame". but top gear UK may have been like that once. (wiki has the 'new format' which debuted in 2002).

i think morrison is a much better presenter than cox, as someone said above he did try to act like clarkson. i would love to see more stories with old fords and holdens (as in 70s and 80s and maybe early 90s.

this is just my 2 cents worth on the show and you are free to critisize it all you want.

-Kane

Monty Burns

Mon May 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am

The difference in the UK seriesbetween the older episodes & the current ones is that it was initially primarily just a car show. It developed into a more entertaining & more popular show because of the three guys in it & the chemistry they have. It was probably an unplanned & unexpected evolution of the series (which is why it doesn't look as forced as it does in TG AU). It's one of those things that would be difficult to intentionally create.

If the AU version tried to do a copy of the original TG format it probably would have been okay. But they instead tried to copy the current format. I think that was a near impossibility. I doubt even a British network could've made a TG clone with equal success. You just cannot recreate someone else's chemistry. It just does not work. It's like trying to put someone else's lightning back into your bottle...

They should've just got Jeremy, James & the Hamster to come out & do a series or two like they used to with the Michael Parkinson programme.

However, I do think TG AU would be a lot more enjoyable if they had three hosts who are funny (& I don't mean rehearsed & scripted jokes which they don't seem to do anyway). SBS seem to have gone the safer option of having guys who are very likeable & not likely to get too bitchy or say anything too politically incorrect or controversial. Very pleasant & innocuous but, regrettably, very dull...

Ned Flanders

Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 am

Postby Macc » Tue May 12, 2009 1:30 am

It is not an imitation or copy of the UK show. Top Gear Australia is made by BBC Worldwide. It is a franchise and the BBC has absolute control over the format and content, just like McDonald's head office has absolute control over the menu at each franchise restaurant. SBS has no say as they do not make the show. SBS just screens whatever the BBC Worldwide makes for them.

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Tue May 12, 2009 1:30 am

Postby SKaVeN » Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 am

You pedant, Macc! :lol:

Whether it was made by SBS, BBC Worldwide or even the Top Gear production company itself making a copy of its own product, it is still a copy (or version if one prefers) of the original British programme regardless of whether it was made by the same parent company or nay. TG AU would be like McDonald's opening up a franchise store that sells Big Macs which have different ingredients. The average TG regular viewer when watching the programme is not going to be concerned as to whether it's technically a copy, version, franchise or any other semantic angle. :P

Ned Flanders

Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 am

Postby atefooterz » Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 am

They really need to desallinate the water in Adelaide methinks :D The *average TG viewer will reject any change, TG AU should bring in new viewers interested in the local product while appealing to the "non average" TG addict.

I was actually won over by this weeks ep, then again i am biased towards James Morrison & do not mind Wazza Brown. NOTE: atefooterz does not compare passionfruit with grapes as while they are all the same "Fruit Franchise" they are actually different entities with unique texture + perceived taste issues.

* The average radio listener belives every word spoken by Alan Jones & The average viewer believes that Koshie is the most intelligent man on TV today ... "average" is not a tag we should really aspire to :P

Santa's Little Helper

Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic 
 [ 28 posts ]