AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 385 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
 Server upgrade completed - comments please 
Message Author

Postby wolverine » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:03 am

We have moved the entire forum to a new server, and used the opportunity to move to a new URL as well ( http://forums.auscelebs.net/ ). Of course, to make it easier for our members, all the old URLs will be redirected to the site for a considerable time to come. All images have also been moved as well, so your forum experience should not change much.

There is currently a small issue of some mail servers rejecting mail sent to members watching certain threads. We are working to resolve the issue and will keep you posted. In the mean while, keep checking your favourite threads manually if you are not receiving those notifications.

If you notice anything else not working now that used to work before, please report the problems here. With this new server arrangement, we have better access to server resources and this will give us the freedom to expand in the future, as well as troubleshoot any problems a lot easier.

Happy browsing, from your friendly auscelebs.net admins :yes:

Capo Bastone

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:03 am

Postby czblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:48 am

I've noticed we've got several pics missing or only available as thumbnails, we'll address that tomorrow...

EDIT: and the problem is quiet large, thankfully it should not be too difficult to fix that... I am also not overly excited with the server speed (politely said). Oh well a lot of work ahead :cofee:

Capo de tutti capi

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:48 am

Postby locky1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:17 am

Keep up the good work, appreciate you are trying to make the site even better, you are right re the pics, in fact none on the Emily symons thread even opened for me and most the otrhers I checked were thumbnails only, keep punching :dizzy:

Ned Flanders

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:17 am

Postby czblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:16 pm

locky1 wrote:
Keep up the good work, appreciate you are trying to make the site even better, you are right re the pics, in fact none on the Emily symons thread even opened for me and most the otrhers I checked were thumbnails only, keep punching :dizzy:

Thanks for the feedback locky, the picture issue is pretty large - it is caused by a problem in the pic transfer script, which caused almost half of the pix to be uploaded as thumbs or not uploaded at all.

This should not be too difficult to solve (we will simply upload them again), my true concern is a response speed of the server which is at least for me very bad. Sometimes it goes well, but sometimes I have to wait 5-10 seconds for a simple page to load :evil: Can someone confirm this? Or is it just me?

Capo de tutti capi

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Postby sharkboi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:58 pm

czblack wrote:
locky1 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback locky, the picture issue is pretty large - it is caused by a problem in the pic transfer script, which caused almost half of the pix to be uploaded as thumbs or not uploaded at all.

This should not be too difficult to solve (we will simply upload them again), my true concern is a response speed of the server which is at least for me very bad. Sometimes it goes well, but sometimes I have to wait 5-10 seconds for a simple page to load :evil: Can someone confirm this? Or is it just me?

Pages are loading very slowly for me too, but I'm patient and I'm sure you will get it fixed when you can.

Troy McLure

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Postby modecko » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Sometimes pages load quickly and other times painfully slow. It appears to be random.

Judge Roy Snyder

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Postby czblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:37 pm

sharkboi wrote:
czblack wrote:
locky1 wrote:

Pages are loading very slowly for me too, but I'm patient and I'm sure you will get it fixed when you can.

I am now trying to find out if the problem is in the server itself or rather something that runs on it (most likely apache or mysql servers). If this should continue, I would switch back to the original machine to allow some reasonable speed while we try to find the problem and possibly make the transfer happen again.

I would also like to wait for wolverine (because he installed apache & mysql) if he could add something useful. He is unreachable ATM, though...

Capo de tutti capi

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Postby czblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:04 pm

I did some changes to apache (web server) configuration, let's see if it helps...

Capo de tutti capi

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Postby czblack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:07 pm

And it seems it really was the problem I was searching for, the site now goes much better to me. We had very low simultaneous connections allowed which caused other visitors to wait in line until others are served. It should work fine now. :ohyes:

I will also increase mysql buffer to speed up the database.

Capo de tutti capi

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Postby narly » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Just opened 3 pages at once from the laptop in the lounge room with a dodgy wireless connection to the main PC in another room . All loaded up quite fast . :grin:

Troy McLure

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 385 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next