AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Desktop or Laptop 
Message Author

Postby djmenow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Bout time I upgraded my current system. Currently have a desktop running a quad core system, windows 7 etc etc 21 inch monitor.

Now everyone seems to getting laptops these days.

I like the idea of the bigger screens for the desktops and I have always believed desktops have better running systems and more features and quicker running.

I am looking for an i7 but an awesome sound and video card. Windows 7 still as I have been told not to move to Windows 8 yet.

I dont game much but surf the web and burn Cds and DL heaps of music etc.

So what are everyones ideas of desktop over laptops or visa versa?

Ned Flanders

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Postby wolverine » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am

In recent times the lines have blurred between the two, with external hard drives, low usage of DVD drives etc., making main desktop advantages somewhat less obvious. However, it is still far easier to repair and upgrade a desktop computer if you were ever that way inclined. You could get a bigger monitor and plug it into your laptop, as big screen size is something I would not want to do without.

But more important than anything, and I mean anything, is your choice of hard drive. SSD makes more difference to your computer's speed than any other component. I suggest you get a minimum 128GB SSD, and some external USB3 drives (make sure of course your new motherboard has USB3 ports, which most do), for storing media, movies etc. You will be amazed at the speed you get - watching OS boot in under 5 seconds is wonderful to watch.

For me personally, I prefer a desktop as it allows me to swap drives around when I upgrade and experiment with various Linux distributions etc., which I still do every few months.

Capo Bastone

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am

Postby christelvr69 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I have 2 computers.

A Asus N61JQ laptop. and a desktop I made myself.

from memory my specs are below:

Asus mainboard
Intel core I7 2600k cpu
8GB ram I think
1TB HDD
40GB SSD for booting pc
Asus 550TI video card
Water cooling for CPU
Thermeltake level 10 case

ETC.
Cost me a little to make, but I did want to try out desktop gaming, I have since only used it once:( Since I am moving with my family to Brisbane next month, I will just box it up for transport.

I like things about each of my computers.

Laptop is good for just using the Internet in bed, or connecting it to my TV to watch movies I have downloaded, which don't play on the ps3.

PC is better for Desktop gaming, purely from a ergonomics perspective. I have tried playing Hitman in bed, it gets hard after a while, since I have one hand on the touchpad and 1 hand moving my character.

In the end, it is your decision. Genreally a laptop isn't as powerful as a PC. (unless you pay decent money, my asus was $1400 and gets a 6.7 Average score.)
Basically look at processor and ram size, when selecting a laptop. Cheap laptops usually only have a slower processor, or the entry level processor (think i3).

Again, this will only matter, depending on how you use it. for gaming etc get a laptop with a 1GB graphics card (make sure its not "shared").

I am not a expert on computers, but I know enough to get by.

Monty Burns

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Postby dodgie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 pm

About three years ago i got myself a Asus K50ie laptop and i will never go back to a desktop again.It was about $800 with Intel 2.3gb 2.9 turbo cpu 500 gig hdd 1 gig graphics and a 15.6 inch screen which is the only thing that took a bit of getting used to.This thing will allow me to do everything i want,net,watch movies,cap,burn dvd's and p2p.It's much more quiet than a desktop cheaper to run takes up less space and you can take it with you if needed.

I now have two laptops and a netbook

I don't get into gaming so can't help there but i think you need a powerful
machine to play games and powerful laptops are not cheap.

Carl Carlson

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 4 posts ]