AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Same sex marriage vote 

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 122 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 54 ]
Total votes : 176

Same sex marriage vote 
Message Author

Postby phunkyfeelone » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 pm

The law is already equal - any adult can legally marry a person of the opposite sex.
Whether you WANT to is a different story.

Martin Prince

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:54 am

meperson wrote:
...I believe marriage is an institution rather than a right...

I absolutely agree: However, I do believe that every everyone that has, or has been, married deserves the right to be institutionalised.

It's the least we can do for them. :smile:

meperson wrote:
Same sex partners already have the same rights through civil unions.

Just because you say that, doesn't mean that anyone will believe you.

Otto Man

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:54 am

Postby meperson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:38 am

phunkyfeelone wrote:
The law is already equal - any adult can legally marry a person of the opposite sex.

True but we are constantly making decisions that create their own consequences which aren't related to morality and the amount of 'rights' one should have has its limitations.

I demand my right to marry despite being an unsocial perfectionist who cannot instigate a proper relationship nor maintain it; still, I demand the first woman I propose to, out of the blue, to answer in the affirmative because it's my right, after all. I also demand to become a member of Mensa without knowing my IQ because I refuse to take the test as is my right not to. I think I might just disappear into the wilderness somewhere but still demand my right to plumbing and having my mail and pizza delivered to me promptly.

You see, demanding absolute equality with the next person despite being different to the majority is irrational.

Carl Carlson

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:38 am

Postby DC. » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:43 am

Regardless of your opinion it seems you'll be criticised by the other party
What does Bart Simpson say "Your dammed if you do dammed if you don't"
The one thing I will say that pisses me off is the media that paints a picture that your a homophobe if you say no
People have reason that have nothing to do with homophobia
I for one don't care if Gays wanna marry
I'm fine if people for religious or personal non homophobic reasons say no
That's totally fine
The media and celebrities and their personal agenda's need to back off they drive people who are 50/50 into voting
No I know a few people who have voted No due to Celebrities like magda szubanski and their criticism of anyone
Being opposed basically labelling them homophobic
I for one disagree with the idea there's only two options there's a third send it back blank
That's what I'm doing if you vote yes fine if you vote no fine just shut the hell up and don't attack someone for not sharing
Your belief .... if you want your opinion to be respected then respect the opinions of those who disagree :cheerstothat:

Jimbo Jones

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:43 am

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 am

DC. wrote:
Regardless of your opinion it seems you'll be criticised by the other party
What does Bart Simpson say "Your dammed if you do dammed if you don't"
The one thing I will say that pisses me off is the media that paints a picture that your a homophobe if you say no
People have reason that have nothing to do with homophobia
I for one don't care if Gays wanna marry
I'm fine if people for religious or personal non homophobic reasons say no
That's totally fine
The media and celebrities and their personal agenda's need to back off they drive people who are 50/50 into voting
No I know a few people who have voted No due to Celebrities like magda szubanski and their criticism of anyone
Being opposed basically labelling them homophobic
I for one disagree with the idea there's only two options there's a third send it back blank
That's what I'm doing if you vote yes fine if you vote no fine just shut the hell up and don't attack someone for not sharing
Your belief .... if you want your opinion to be respected then respect the opinions of those who disagree :cheerstothat:

Well put, neither "side" is right or wrong, it's just an opinion.
The media is quite OK with publishing or broadcasting opinions calling "No" supporters bigots, homophobes, racists (yes, i've seen this :lol: ), assholes, c*nts, etc. I have some really close friends who have posted some truly vile crap on Facebook, looking forward to catching up with them and telling them I voted No. They know i'm not any of the things they claim No voters are, they know i'm anti-religion, makes for good conversation I think :wink:

Martin Prince

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:18 am

Postby SKaVeN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm

phunkyfeelone wrote:

Equality means being able top marry whomever you want/love (man or woman), being told you can only make your choice based on gender is exactly what equality does not mean.

Anyway, like I said, it's all over nothing because all the polls, so far, have been in support of SSM. Even this one here is showing a staggering 91% in favour; that, and the amount of THANKS per post (in this thread) are enough to convince me which side of the argument is presenting a better case.

Ned Flanders

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:47 pm

SKaVeN wrote:
phunkyfeelone wrote:

Equality means being able top marry whomever you want/love (man or woman), being told you can only make your choice based on gender is exactly what equality does not mean.

Anyway, like I said, it's all over nothing because all the polls, so far, have been in support of SSM. Even this one here is showing a staggering 91% in favour; that, and the amount of THANKS per post (in this thread) are enough to convince me which side of the argument is presenting a better case.

91% :scratch:

It's 68% for, 32% against, which surprisingly seems to reflect general opinion polls.
When I suggested this, i thought it would skew slightly one way or the other due to the mainly male viewership of AusCelebs.

Equality means everyone having the same opportunity based on the rules or laws in play. Changing a law to socially engineer equality in the eyes of a minority is a sets a poor precedent. Everyone is in a minority group of one or another.

Martin Prince

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Postby HIPPYD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Have you seen the tv ads for the no campaign? All they talk about is what their 'christian' kids will get taught in school about blah blah, they don't even mention what the actual vote is about. Someone said they are ok with people objecting on religious and non homophobic reasons, when your religion says gays should be killed I'd say that's homophobic. Those ads are homophobic and I'm yet to see a non homophobic reason for the no campaign.

Judge Roy Snyder

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Postby atefooterz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

if you vote yes then global thermo nuclear warfare will encompass the world... :)

Santa's Little Helper

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

Postby phunkyfeelone » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm

HIPPYD wrote:
Have you seen the tv ads for the no campaign? All they talk about is what their 'christian' kids will get taught in school about blah blah, they don't even mention what the actual vote is about. Someone said they are ok with people objecting on religious and non homophobic reasons, when your religion says gays should be killed I'd say that's homophobic. Those ads are homophobic and I'm yet to see a non homophobic reason for the no campaign.

None of them mention anything specific about religion or mention "christian", you're assuming they do because it's assumed that all those opposing gay marriage are religious.

Their focus, which is exaggerated but not unrealistic, is that normalising same-sex marriage will normalise and promote non-natural behaviours, and as with any minority, we seem to over-teach and over-educate, which in turn influences young minds into thinking it's a choice, not a biological occurrence.

Martin Prince

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next