AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 26 posts ] 
 Thanking posters for their work 
Message Author

Postby Pauly66 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am

if anyone's wonderin why s_and_o hasn't been postin his caps on the forums lately, it's cause he doesn't feel he recieves enough gratitude to continue uploading his high resoultion caps.
it's dissapointing that this board will lose one of it's great contibutors due to people not takin the time to say thanks.
the time it takes to go through the caps of the gorgeous newsreaders, i'm sure you can take the time to express your gratitude to his hard work

i hope that now that it's been brought to ur attention you will take the time to say thanks.

Disco Stu

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am

Postby JohnOfTardis1967 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Well for what it's worth if 'there are pictures I like on here and I've saved a few as desktops.... I will most often say thankyou for them and thankyou to the person that put them there.

So yeah I have no problems acknowledging people.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Postby JohnOfTardis1967 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Xfactor wrote:

Thank for the caps of Natalie Barr

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Postby hambone2662 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Pauly66 wrote:
if anyone's wonderin why s_and_o hasn't been postin his caps on the forums lately, it's cause he doesn't feel he recieves enough gratitude to continue uploading his high resoultion caps.
it's dissapointing that this board will lose one of it's great contibutors due to people not takin the time to say thanks.
the time it takes to go through the caps of the gorgeous newsreaders, i'm sure you can take the time to express your gratitude to his hard work

i hope that now that it's been brought to ur attention you will take the time to say thanks.

In my opinion (for what its worth), you put up pics because you want to share not cause you want everyone to kiss your ass. If you get the kudos for great caps then great but jesus, ya can't demand it! If S & O feels like he's hard done by then its a shame, his caps are great and he will be sorely missed but honestly, it shouldn't be expected. I'm more than happy to say thanks to those who put in the effort and have done a good job but you expect or demand and ya get nothing from me, right or wrong, thats how I am.

Monty Burns

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Postby Takk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for finally moving all of this gratitude talk to it's own thread, It's really been killing the celeb threads.

FWIW, my own view is that a site based on user generated content is always going to be an up and down affair.
If a few people stop posting and the slack isn't taken up by others then it probably says something about how much "sharing" is going on.
If you don't want to post then that's fine, but if you are interested in seeing others post then you should atleast take an interest in keeping the mood of the forums light and friendly to encourage others.

This issue if not unique to this forum, it has happened everywhere over the last 10 years as the internet has become more mainstream and Web1.0 has given way to Web2.0, the hobbyist culture has dissolved into the Stuff You Jack culture.

Que Sera, Sera

Ned Flanders

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Postby s_and_o » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Why is my username been used in this thread :???: can the members who have used it please edit your posts i have nothing to do with any of this.
Thank you and have a nice day :smile:
s_and_o

Last edited by s_and_o on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Judge Roy Snyder

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Postby Tuxedo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I posted something like this on one of the celebrity threads, but here's my $0.02 anyway (or $0.04 by now):

There are plenty of us that don't post thank-you notes, but please understand that we are genuinely very grateful. I reckon that if everyone posts thank-yous to all of the caps, then we'd all be scrolling through lots of empty pages to actually find any caps! :)
Can anyone think of a way that we can show gratitude without cluttering up the threads themselves?
I know that on Amazon, when you look at the customer reviews on a product, you can give it a one-click thumbs up or down, and it shows that "<xx> number of people out of <xxx> found this review helpful"... could we adapt that idea to these threads somehow, as a button that appears on the post itself, that we can click to say thanks? This would be easy for the views to show their appreciation, and the cappers can see how many people enjoy their posts. We could even display it on their profile, or possibly even have some rankings for a bit of prestige - They certainly deserve the recognition.
Heck, you could even show appreciation or support for a witty post, without having to post a "me too!" or "I agree".
Sorry if this idea seems naive, I'm just trying to come up with something constructive, so that cappers don't get frustrated and quit, while keeping threads clutter-free.
Peace all.
Cheers, Tuxedo.
PS: Thank you, all of you marvellous cappers and posters. Your painstaking work is marvellous, and appreciated. :)

Ralph Wiggum

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Postby Xfactor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

I know it's not aimed at me directly, i havn't posted caps in certain threads over the last week and a bit as i'm building up the caps before i do what i usually do with them. With the various personalities that i post them in, as i usually do them in collages and such.... i usually wait for 2 - 3 weeks, until i have enough variety to be able to post them. I still do daily/weekly caps for them from time to time, but that is only if i have more than a few caps for them.

In most cases with my other news presenter posts, i cap + post when i can. To cite an example (Alicia Grabowski), she only recently reappeared after a few weeks... so i'll be posting new caps in her thread in coming days (once i've organised them and processed others).

I don't get offended if i get no thanks or a pat on the back, my main bone of contention is those who take the caps and post them as their own on other forums without credit. I havn't capped Neighbours or Home & Away in ages, so it hasn't happened as frequently as it used to. But i've noticed it a bit with some news reporter caps. Some may rememeber my tactics to put a dampener on people doing it (ie: the watermarks / logos i'd put on the images). I've been approached for permission in the past and 90% of the time (it can depend on who it is who wants to do it though!). I do post on a few other forums, thus i try to not post the same caps from one forum to another - i like giving one forum some "exclusivity" over other forums, yet i'll post other caps on other forums.

As a capper i know how long the process can take and the other cappers have my support + appreciation etc.

Ned Flanders

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Postby hambone2662 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:11 pm

The Stuff You Jack culture derives out of cappers who think they are bigger than the site itself. One particular capper decided to give me a hard time earlier this year for thanking another capper and not him, I mean WHAT THE??? The same capper (I'm guessing) decided to send me personal messages, of content I can only assume, which were deleted by the mods before I got to read them, I certainly don't come here for that. In the old site I posted near on 2 dozen hi-res caps with only one comment of encouragement, OK it was nowhere near the number of caps and the amount of work that some people put in but it was my start to repay for some of the caps I've enjoyed over the years. Its give and take and most people are happy to do their bit but being told by the select few to thank others puts me in the Stuff You Jack Culture also.

Thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion.

Monty Burns

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Do people actually go into computer shops to buy vid-capping stuff so they can receive thank you posts on websites from complete strangers on the Internet, or do they buy it because it's something they want to do because they believe it's something they would receive personal enjoyment from (even if they weren't to upload them to the Internet somewhere)? :???:

I'm not saying people shouldn't be thanked, I'm just trying to understand where the perspective best lies.

Xfactor wrote:
I don't get offended if i get no thanks or a pat on the back, my main bone of contention is those who take the caps and post them as their own on other forums without credit. I havn't capped Neighbours or Home & Away in ages, so it hasn't happened as frequently as it used to. But i've noticed it a bit with some news reporter caps. Some may rememeber my tactics to put a dampener on people doing it (ie: the watermarks / logos i'd put on the images). I've been approached for permission in the past and 90% of the time (it can depend on who it is who wants to do it though!). I do post on a few other forums, thus i try to not post the same caps from one forum to another - i like giving one forum some "exclusivity" over other forums, yet i'll post other caps on other forums.

You can't watermark them? :???:

Ned Flanders

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 26 posts ]