AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 29 posts ] 
 7mate 
Message Author

Postby Rutzie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Quote:
Breaking news: The Seven Network has announced a new digital channel, 7mate, to launch on September 25, aimed at men 16-49.

It will launch with high definition coverage of the AFL Grand Final.

Seven’s CEO, David Leckie said, “Seven is Australia’s most-watched network and our suite of multi-channels delivers more viewers than anyone else,.

“7mate is the next step in building on our leadership in broadcast television. 7mate is going to be great.

“The launch of 7mate delivers us a tremendous platform of channels targeting specific audience demographics – leveraging our primary channel’s success with women and 7TWO’s targeting of a 25+ adult audience.

“We’re delighted to be the first commercial network to move to three channels. With 7HD we were first into multi-channelling for the commercial networks and this is another significant step for our television business,” Mr Leckie said.

Programming Chief Tim Worner, said “We’re using the biggest sports event to launch 7mate but this new channel will be so much more than sport. We are after the most elusive demographic in media and we think we’ve got the offering to get them.”

New episodes of Family Guy, American Dad, Parks And Recreation and Last Comic Standing will lead the primetime comedy schedule. 3o Rock, How I Met Your Mother, That 70’s Show, Scrubs and Crank Yankers round out the laughs. New drama will include the sci-fi series Caprica and the adventure series Warehouse 13 and Stargate Atlantis. The reality slate will feature US ratings hits Jersey Shore and Pawn Stars, along with popular MTV series Punk’d and Gene Simmons Family Jewels, featuring the controversial KISS guitarist and his LA-based family, and Monster Garage with Jesse G. James. Factual on 7mate will see series such as Fifth Gear, The Universe, Life After People, The Boneyard, Ax Men, Jacked: Auto Theft Taskforce, Mega Movers, Mega Structures, Air Crash Investigations and Shockwave in primetime. 7mate will also be the home for first-run big movies for the blokes, including The Ringer, Strangers and Primeval.

Mr Worner said: “The channel is not designed to alienate female viewers. On the contrary we will be launching several initiatives that will see the female audience watching 7mate as well.”

To receive 7mate from 25 September, viewers will need to tune into channel 73 on an HD capable Digital TV, PVR or set top box. If you have an analogue television you will need to connect your old TV to an HD capable Digital set top box, PVR, or Digital recorder and tune in to channel 73.

A new website is online at yahoo7.com.au/tv

A spokesperson from Seven told TV Tonight: “7mate replaces 7HD, as this is all we can fit in our spectrum until 2013 or the end of Analog.

“It will be Broadcast as per 7HD currently is but will appear on channel 73.

“On Grand Final day 7mate will simulcast with Seven and then commence life as its own full time HD channel.”

This is not good news. No more capping in HD for shows like Home & Away, Sunrise or The Morning Show unless Seven decide to still simulcast them on this new channel.

Milhouse Van Houten

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:22 pm

It all sounds great to me. I like quite a lot of those programmes. It would be made even better if they could extract the poorly treated "Stargate: Universe" & "Supernatural" from Channel Sandra...

Ned Flanders

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Postby Xfactor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Mentioned it on the sly in the Samantha Armytage thread, i am not impressed.... capping isn't the be all and end all, however i feel that if we have the technology we should be using it ie: broadcasting our local shows in hd..... not repeats of shows from however many years ago.

We lost 10HD, which was good for minimal local content (9AM, Neighbours etc), but very good showing their overseas weekly dramas and movies in HD - for a sports channel.

I am not going to enjoy Channel 9 following suit and removing their HD channel. Not to mention with the addition of these new channels, the broadcast/picture quality of the original one(s) will suffer.

Ned Flanders

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Are they going to all be old programmes? The description that Rutz gave us described a lot of new shows & there's quite a few there that I would prefer to see in HD than Home & Away.

Rutzie wrote:
Quote:
New episodes of Family Guy, American Dad, Parks And Recreation and Last Comic Standing will lead the primetime comedy schedule. 3o Rock, How I Met Your Mother, That 70’s Show, Scrubs and Crank Yankers round out the laughs. New drama will include the sci-fi series Caprica and the adventure series Warehouse 13 and Stargate Atlantis. The reality slate will feature US ratings hits Jersey Shore and Pawn Stars, along with popular MTV series Punk’d and Gene Simmons Family Jewels, featuring the controversial KISS guitarist and his LA-based family, and Monster Garage with Jesse G. James. Factual on 7mate will see series such as Fifth Gear, The Universe, Life After People, The Boneyard, Ax Men, Jacked: Auto Theft Taskforce, Mega Movers, Mega Structures, Air Crash Investigations and Shockwave in primetime. 7mate will also be the home for first-run big movies for the blokes, including The Ringer, Strangers and Primeval.

Granted they're not all new programmes (& some of them look like other shite) but it would be difficult to fill an HD channel completely with new content I think.

At least I don't feel like I wasted about $10,000 on a home theatre system after hearing this, like I did when I first head about Aunty & Channel Sandra's decision to totally waste their HD channels.

I guess it's just a personal choice thing. I don't like H&A & a lot of the Australian soap/drama series so I'm pretty happen with this venture. And I still think even SD digital caps can look pretty damn good. But I guess it just boils down to one's own proclivities... :smoke:

Ned Flanders

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Postby atefooterz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:33 pm

sd looks ok = hmmmmmmmm LoLz
Maybe time to upgrade your monitor & TV methinks, SD on a big screen is quite "fluffy" regardless of LCD or Plasma very skinny in colour depth & contrast.

Then again "as ya gets older & the eysight starts to go off it should not matter ". :neutral:

What we cappers are biatching about is the increasing void of AUSTRALIAN HD content that is Filmed in HD & broadcast in SD. & postable , we have already had
many HD guys drop out as there is so little to post & this just makes it worse. The bonus is that i will soon only need 900MB instead of 3GB to record HAA each day :smoke:

This will also affect City Homicide, Packed To The Rafters & Beauty & The Geek to name a few.

Santa's Little Helper

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:33 pm
Profile WWW

Postby Rutzie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 pm

To dump the HD channel they better have a large majority of these shows being actual HD not just upscaled SD versions.

Milhouse Van Houten

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:47 pm

I do know that HD looks better than SD. I would not have forked out so much on a home theatre system if I didn't. I also know that you only get true Dolby Digital 5.1 on HD.

What I was saying is that having some caps for a few Australian programmes on this site being reduced from HD to SD in favour of seeing some of those new programmes in HD (with 5.1 surround sound) is a compromise to which I could easily adjust.

Ned Flanders

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Postby Takk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 pm

It's a shame that Seven is doing this as they are the channel with the best looking HD by far, perhaps the higher ratings that their shows get reflect this?

Nine's national news service which Wendy Kingston mostly hosts looks fuzzy and washed out anyway so it would not be too devastating to move it to SD, and HD KAK and Lisa Wilkinson and Tracy Grimshaw is probably overkill. :)

Ned Flanders

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Postby danilo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:38 am

Will Sunrise and The Morning Show remain in HD?

What happened to The Great Outdoors BTW? It was one of the best looking HD shows on TV.

Elizabeth Hoover

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:38 am

Postby atefooterz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:31 pm

danilo wrote:
Will Sunrise and The Morning Show remain in HD?

What happened to The Great Outdoors BTW? It was one of the best looking HD shows on TV.

No all the regular shows will still be on 7 (SD) & 7mateHD will breakaway with alternative content.

Santa's Little Helper

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic 
 [ 29 posts ]