AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 3 posts ] 
 VideoSpin 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Okay, I found another toy I though people might like.

It's called Video Spin by Pinnacle.

It's kind of like Windows Movie Maker apart from three fundamental differences:

a) It has a lot more features.

b) It's much easier to use.

c) It's a lot more stable!!!

You can has transition effects, you can add texts, subtitles, remove audio & add in your own. You have a good selection of what sort of file you want to create (eg: WMV, MPEG, AVI, DVD-NTSC, DVD-PAL, etc.).

They have a lot of tutorials on their site but I didn't need to use them. You see it all in front of you so all you have to do is click icons & drag things around.

And most importantly - it's FREE! They give you some codecs for free for a 14 day trial for which they'll ask you to pay. If you say no you lose the codecs but the programme still works perfectly. I never used the codecs anyway so who cares?

Enjoy fellas. It's a keeper for sure! I like it. :cool:

PS: Footz, I think you'll like this one a lot better than Camtasia. :smoke:

Ned Flanders

Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Postby atefooterz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:12 pm

anything that lasts for 14 days i do not like..i am sure the codecs you loose are the only ones worth using like DivX or Xvid, for compression haha

EDIT a little while later

here we go :P

Quote:
For a program that prides itself on simplicity, it provides a moment of cognitive dissonance early on in the installation process. Immediately after installing the program, you see a prompt: "VideoSpin includes a 15-day trial of advanced video codecs (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DiVX). If you wish to use these codecs after the 15-day trial, you will need to purchase the Advanced Codecs Pack. (Note: If you have separately purchased Pinnacle codecs, either individually or as part of a product, those codecs will still be usable.)" Below the prompt are the buttons to Purchase Now or Purchase Later those said video codecs for $14.99.

Maybe the lawyers insisted on displaying this message right at the start of program use, but this message must seem hugely off-putting to the average beginner. "Codecs? MPEG-2? MPEG-4? DiVX? Your strange and heretofore-unknown terminology frightens and confuses me!" It's not exactly the warmest introduction to the world of video. (But I guess we can give Pinnacle bonus points for chutzpah: welcome to the harsh reality of video producing - you'll be learning all sorts of new jargon if you stick with it for any length of time!)

That leaves the same issue of HUGE files or piss poor quality to make them net friendly, if you are used to standard you tube quality , or still run 800pixel wide screen resolution, it is no biggie.

Santa's Little Helper

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile WWW

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm over the 14 days so lost the codecs but I'm still using it. I still like it...

The reason I originally found it was because I was Googling for a free alternative to Windows Movie Maker. A couple of tech sites rated VideoSpin as the best one.

I haven't had much luck with video editing software. They always keep crashing on me halfway through doing something so I'm happy to finally have one that doesn't keep doing that...

If you really want to keep the codecs I'm sure you'd find the package with a registration patch or key on a torrent site...

Ned Flanders

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 3 posts ]