AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ] 
 Speeding in Australia 
Message Author

Postby Macc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 am

djmenow wrote:
All I will say is I love to speed. Love my V8 and would love it to be faster and more powerful. :twisted:

On certain weekends you can go to a racetrack, pay your money and drive as fast as you like. But on public roads it would be kinda nice if you didn't speed. Especially if you're anywhere near my car and my kids are in the back seat.

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 am

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:09 am

I just got back from an on-going local traffic snag.

There's one of those after-hours supermarkets with a chemist, a couple of other shops & a little car park with a side-street along the side that leads back onto the main road. There's a sign on the main road telling people on the main road who are turning right down that side street that they cannot do a U-turn yet people still do (& expect you to get out of their way)...

I was on this side street waiting to turn right, a lady on the main road turned right onto the street, yep, to do a fucking U-turn, but I was already waiting there so she couldn't do the whole turn so got stuck. Another vehicle (an RAA van) was on the road waiting to turn right onto the street but he couldn't because he was blocking it, I couldn't wait because the RAA van has priority so we were all stuck. And get this, she sat their laughing at me until she finally did the right thing & went further down the street & turned around.

Someone attempts to do an illegal turn (for reasons that should've become even more apparent when she got herself stuck), causes a blockage & thinks that makes her smarter than everyone else. Seriously, WTF? Maybe they should replace driving tests with basic intelligence tests... :roll:

Macc wrote:
djmenow wrote:
All I will say is I love to speed. Love my V8 and would love it to be faster and more powerful. :twisted:

On certain weekends you can go to a racetrack, pay your money and drive as fast as you like. But on public roads it would be kinda nice if you didn't speed. Especially if you're anywhere near my car and my kids are in the back seat.

Agreed! I couldn't give toss if people want to risk their own mortality but I think it's pretty poor when they decide to do it publicly & endanger other peoples as well.

Ned Flanders

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:09 am

Postby wolverine » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 am

Macc wrote:
Why do some people think it is their god given right to speed? We have speed limits for a reason. And a limit is that - an upper limit. It is not a requirement to travel at that speed all the time. You may travel at any safe speed up to and including that limit, but not more. If you exceed the limit, you are breaking the law. Why is this so difficult to understand?

What pisses me off the most is drivers who abuse me for doing 10k under the limit on a wet road.

Actually, I think you will find that if you are driving at less than 10kms below the speed limit, you are breaking the law. I was told so by a policeman who stopped me for riding my motorcycle too slow (and I was only doing so because I saw him behind me).

Capo Bastone

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 am

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 am

wolverine wrote:
Macc wrote:
Why do some people think it is their god given right to speed? We have speed limits for a reason. And a limit is that - an upper limit. It is not a requirement to travel at that speed all the time. You may travel at any safe speed up to and including that limit, but not more. If you exceed the limit, you are breaking the law. Why is this so difficult to understand?

What pisses me off the most is drivers who abuse me for doing 10k under the limit on a wet road.

Actually, I think you will find that if you are driving at less than 10kms below the speed limit, you are breaking the law. I was told so by a policeman who stopped me for riding my motorcycle too slow (and I was only doing so because I saw him behind me).

Yeah, I don't mind people driving really slow as long as they keep over to the left & pull over (where possible) if people are behind them. I get really ticked off when people drive slow in the centre lane & the police will nick you for doing that. I think they should get fines because roadhogs force people top overtake on the left which is dangerous.

You know one other thing that really pisses me off? A main road near here has an extra left lane added for about thirty metres before & after a few intersections it crosses. Those lanes only really exist to break traffic & help create access for motorists want to turn left before the intersection onto the other road, & for people to turn left from the other road onto this road after the intersection.

Yet feral yeah-fuckin'-yeah bogans think it's a pole position created especially for them so when the lights to change they can plant it, use the thirty metres after the intersection to overtake (from the left!) & push in. The really scary thing about those idiots is that they totally believe that because they think they're keeping as "near as practicable to the left" they have right of way which is why they'll just ram you if you're in the right lane they have to merge into.

Where the fuck does it in any of the road regulations state that left has right of way ever?!! Isn't the most fundemental law of motoring is Australia to always give way to the right (no exceptions)?!! And how the fuck does "near as practicable to the left" mean using a feed in lane to plant it & overtake & push in from the left? Maybe there should be a mandatory extra question in the learner's permit examination asking people if they even know what the word "practicable" actually means.

It's a wonder people like that even got their learner's permit.

A driver's licence is a privilege, not a right & I for one would love it if everyone had to resit a driving test every five years to keep it. Just think of all the complete idiots (who could kill someone) we'd get off the road... :ohyes:

Ned Flanders

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:31 am

Postby musnoopy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 am

I agree in part that speeding causes accidents. But it is not the only contributing factor, is most cases the young ‘hooligans’ that have these accidents don’t possess the skills do drive at speed. I will be the first to say that I am not the best driver going around but I know when I got my licence I went out to do an Advance Driving Course and it made me more aware and a better driver IMO. This I think should be made mandatory for all drivers to sit when they get their licence, not to make them think they can speed or be reckless (unfortunately in society this generally is the case) but to at least give them the skills or knowledge that if they get into a situation they may be able to get out of it without killing themselves or others. Any no matter what we do there will always be someone that is a dickhead on the roads

Comic Book Guy

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 am

Postby atefooterz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:08 am

OMG there are only 2 kinds at Aussie C nowdays ... lurkers and grumpy old men ! :shock:

Santa's Little Helper

Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Postby Reb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

look at the pic again ,
it's about how anal and in flexible the speeding laws are compared to assault laws .

WTF do I care if you speed or not , you bunch of nannas

Mary Bailey

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Postby Macc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:06 pm

wolverine wrote:
Macc wrote:

Actually, I think you will find that if you are driving at less than 10kms below the speed limit, you are breaking the law.

Complete and utter BS.

wolverine wrote:
I was told so by a policeman who stopped me for riding my motorcycle too slow (and I was only doing so because I saw him behind me).

That's simply not true. However obstructing traffic is breaking the law.

Milhouse Van Houten

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Postby atefooterz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:15 pm

This speed law varies from state to state as in NSW the fine is $95 + 1 point for going more than 10klm under xceptions are rain & fog !. Same fine & points as hogging the right lane on a motorway, but no weather clause. Note vary rarely applied from what i have been held up by on the roads. :mad:

Santa's Little Helper

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile WWW

Postby Macc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 pm

atefooterz wrote:
This speed law varies from state to state as in NSW the fine is $95 + 1 point for going more than 10klm under

Complete and utter BS. Here is the complete list of demerit point offences in NSW.

Speed limits are the maximum allowed speed for driving on the road. Conditions often make it necessary to drive at a speed lower than the limit to keep yourself and others safe. As a driver, it is your responsibility to choose the safest speed within the speed limit.

However:

Australian Road Rules, Regulation 125.
125 Unreasonably obstructing drivers or pedestrians
(1) A driver must not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian.
Penalty: Offence provision.
Note: "Driver" includes a person in control of a vehicle—see the definition of "drive" in the dictionary.
(2) For this rule, a driver does not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian only because:
(a) the driver is stopped in traffic, or
(b) the driver is driving more slowly than other vehicles (unless the driver is driving abnormally slowly in the circumstances).

I other words it is not an offence to drive slower than the speed limit or slower than other vehicles, providing you are not unreasonably obstructing other vehicles. For example driving a truck or towing a caravan at 20km/h up a steep hill is not unreasonable in the circumstances but driving a car at 20km/h on a freeway for no valid reason would be unreasonable.

Milhouse Van Houten

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 34 posts ]