AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 44 posts ] 
 Are Australians racist? 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Loose Goose wrote:
Greg - I don't believe for a minute about your Nobel nomination. You hardly know where to put capital letters or full-stops. Feel free to put your opinions forward, but please don't piss in our pockets and tell us it's raining.

Damn! You're a mere few days too late. Pity as I would've loved him to have seen that. :lol:

Ned Flanders

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Postby Loose Goose » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:27 am

I've seen a lot of Greg's posts. I've marvelled at his apparent desire to be considered an intellectual. If you have not read his "Nobel nominated essay", I suggest (or rather, challenge) you take a look at this groundbreaking lecture to humanity immediately. Please, don't hurt yourself by trying to understand and absorb such complex philosophical commentary in one, or even a dozen readings. After all, if you have any questions, we have the unprecedented privilege of having the Nobel nominated author available to us for discussion when we so wish. Oh, how lucky we are.

Just as a footnote: I've picked on Greg before. I'd like to think I do it, not because I'm a prick, but because it really grates on me when I see someone (anyone) trying too hard to convince themselves and others that they are the very thing that they despise. In Greg's case this is the academic or intellectual. He has tried very hard to convince people - on this forum and others - that he is an intellectual/academic (the Nobel nomination is one example), while on the other hand berating those who are far more intellectually endowed than he is, or at the very least, contributing meaningfully in some way to the culture. He is a "snob" without any grounds for being so. One example is his criticism of a C31 prodution in Perth called "Sweet and Sour". He critiqued it like it was some high brow meeting of the minds, when in fact, it was an amateur production punching above it's weight. I've said enough. You're not fooling anyone Greg. If you win the Noble Prize for Literature, I will WANK MYSELF IN RUNDLE MALL AT 4:00 IN THE AFTERNOON on the day it is announced!

Elizabeth Hoover

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:27 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 am

:lol: I'm still none the wiser trying to understand what tangent he was going off at me on in his Loss of Trees thread. :???:

I guess I'm not the Nobel Peace Prize in literacy type...

Ned Flanders

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:44 am

Postby RustyNail » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 am

I think Loose Goose needs to stop watching Glee and start watching some re-runs of Married With Children and listen to some Deryk and Clive.

Up went the lobster, B O I N G ... straight up. . . his asshole."

Jimbo Jones

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 am

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:49 pm

I saw another example of what I was talking about earlier about the irresponsible role the media have taken on the whole issue.

Channel Sandra's monotone golden girl herself came on the tellybox last night announcing the day's main headlines for bogans. One of which being a group of terrorists foiled in Sydney. The description begging with "Five Muslim boys..."

Now, I'm pretty sure that in Australia it is not considered a crime to be Muslim so why mention it (at the second word at that)? If they were Jewish or Catholic would there religion have been mentioned?

It seems to me sometimes that if you commit a crime & are Muslim, that's the first & most important detail about you that the public need to know. The media just can't seem to resist poking that raw bogan anti-Islamic nerve, probably hoping that can cite even more racial violence so they can do another one of those stupid "special reports" the next day...

I think the media should be audited more carefully, held to a higher (& more mature) standard & held more accountable. A good start may be achieved by getting rid of those utterly mindless & puerile trash-TV shows like ACA & TT.

If I was a Muslim I know I'd by quite fed up with it. I find it all a bit sick actually...

Ned Flanders

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Postby atefooterz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:54 pm

kewl ! skaven declares jihad against the regulators & broadcasters :ohyes: :smoke:

Santa's Little Helper

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:54 pm
Profile WWW

Postby wolverine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 pm

SKaVeN wrote:
I saw another example of what I was talking about earlier about the irresponsible role the media have taken on the whole issue.

Channel Sandra's monotone golden girl herself came on the tellybox last night announcing the day's main headlines for bogans. One of which being a group of terrorists foiled in Sydney. The description begging with "Five Muslim boys..."

Now, I'm pretty sure that in Australia it is not considered a crime to be Muslim so why mention it (at the second word at that)? If they were Jewish or Catholic would there religion have been mentioned?

It seems to me sometimes that if you commit a crime & are Muslim, that's the first & most important detail about you that the public need to know. The media just can't seem to resist poking that raw bogan anti-Islamic nerve, probably hoping that can cite even more racial violence so they can do another one of those stupid "special reports" the next day...

I think the media should be audited more carefully, held to a higher (& more mature) standard & held more accountable. A good start may be achieved by getting rid of those utterly mindless & puerile trash-TV shows like ACA & TT.

If I was a Muslim I know I'd by quite fed up with it. I find it all a bit sick actually...

It is called commercial television and it is unlikely it will ever change... I haven't watched full length news on one of the commercial stations in what must be years now. It just annoys me and I have to stop within minutes into it. For example, channel 7 this morning mentioned train crash in Belgium as 6th story, and over 25 people died there. And what did they open the news with? I can't even remember, probably another stupid story about Barnaby Joyce.

Capo Bastone

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:04 am

wolverine wrote:
It is called commercial television and it is unlikely it will ever change... I haven't watched full length news on one of the commercial stations in what must be years now. It just annoys me and I have to stop within minutes into it. For example, channel 7 this morning mentioned train crash in Belgium as 6th story, and over 25 people died there. And what did they open the news with? I can't even remember, probably another stupid story about Barnaby Joyce.

Firstly, welcome back to this thread Wolverine.
We need more people like you to defend humanity from the "Nobel Laureate" wannabes. :grin:

I agree %100 about commercial TV news: Much of it is mindless junk.
However, I do watch as many news programs as I can (even if I have to keep a spew bucket close at hand).
My reasoning is that, if you look at the ratings, the commercial channels' news broadcast rates high. I think it is important to understand what "news" the average Australian is watching; even if I think that "news" is nothing more than an alarmist piece of crap. If the ratings are accurate, then this is the dribble that is being accepted as "news" by most Australians. (sad, but true) :no:

However, back on topic: I was disturbed by a recent story about an Indian man in Melbourne that allegedly tried to set his car on fire for insurance purposes. Apparently, he screwed up, and managed to set himself on fire; subsequently claiming that he had been attacked by a group of men who poured petrol on him and set him alight. Of course this was initially taken as a racist attack, until the police investigation.

If an unscrupulous arsehole who trying to scam insurance companies can recognise the opportunity is there to manipulate the media into believing that he is a victim, then surely most highly paid, highly educated, media Editors, can, and will, do the same. It's not rocket surgery! :dizzy:

Otto Man

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:04 am

Postby wolverine » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm

HumphreyBBear wrote:
Firstly, welcome back to this thread Wolverine.
We need more people like you to defend humanity from the "Nobel Laureate" wannabes. :grin:

Oops, I completely forgot what thread I was replying to :oops:

In any case, I will refrain from commenting on racism issues, my comment was only intended as an expression of my views on commercial television. So blame SKaVeN for confusing me with his comments. :giggle:

Capo Bastone

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Confusion thy name is SKaVo.

Wolves, comments like yours on this issue are the ones that should be expressed & shared with others. When you look back on this thread it's not difficult to separate the fair-minded & more educated people from the complete dickheads. :wink:

Ned Flanders

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 44 posts ]