AusCelebs Forums

View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

Reply to topic 
 [ 518 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
 This Mortal Coil 
Message Author

Postby SKaVeN » Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Yeah, this is indeed a sad one. He always reminded me of the grandpa that some of us wished we'd always had. I think the memory that stands out the most is his work with Charlie the Wonder Dog & the Pissweak Kids. :lol:

The thing about prostate cancer (or "prostrate" cancer as the luddites call it) is that it's such a slow moving cancer is that when old blokes get it they don't intervene because they'd die of old age before the cancer gets them. But if (despite the current obesity problem) the human lifespan continue to extend...

Ned Flanders

Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Postby mr_walker* » Sat May 16, 2009 1:45 am

Sad news indeed. A true Aussie legend. :(

Carl Carlson

Sat May 16, 2009 1:45 am

Postby xencaps » Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 am

one of the greats

thanks Bud
:salut: :salut: :salut:

S 720x576 229
S 720x576 242
S 720x576 238
S 720x576 235
S 720x576 241
S 720x576 226
S 720x576 220
S 720x576 241
S 720x576 257
S 720x576 261
S 720x576 266
S 720x576 255
S 720x576 243

Judge Roy Snyder

Sat May 16, 2009 4:27 am
Profile WWW

Postby Cam63 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Cheers, Bud.

The world is a better place for knowing you.

Ralph Wiggum

Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Sun May 24, 2009 12:10 am

Cam63 wrote:
Cheers, Bud.

The world is a better place for knowing you.

WTF?? Who are you & what have you done with the real Cammo? Whomever you are, you're clearly incapable of simulating his cynicism.

Ned Flanders

Sun May 24, 2009 12:10 am

Postby atefooterz » Sat May 30, 2009 1:41 pm

What a sad waste of a hottie
Quote:
AP Former Olympic champion Ruby dies in climbing fall
CHAMONIX, France – Karine Ruby, a former Olympic snowboarding champion who had been training to become a mountain guide, died Friday in a climbing accident on Mont Blanc. She was 31.

Ruby was roped to other climbers when she and some members of the group fell into a deep crack in the glacier on the way down the mountain, Chamonix police official Laurent Sayssac said.

A 38-year-old man from the Paris region died in the fall, and a 27-year-old man was evacuated by helicopter with serious injuries and hospitalized, Sayssac added.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon called Ruby an "exceptional sportswoman."

"Karine incarnated the emergence of snowboarding in France," Fillon said in a statement. "The people of France will hold on to the memory of her talent and her joie de vivre."

Ruby won a gold medal in the giant slalom at the 1998 Nagano Olympics and a silver in the parallel giant slalom at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. She was a six-time world champion with 65 snowboard World Cup victories.

She retired after the 2006 Turin Olympics, where she was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the snowboardcross event. Ruby had since been working toward becoming a mountain guide and was expected to finish her training in the coming weeks.

S 213x306 185

Santa's Little Helper

Sat May 30, 2009 1:41 pm
Profile WWW

Postby locky1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am

Pop star Michael Jackson has died after suffering a heart attack, it has been reported.

Media reports have said the star, 50, was taken to hospital in Los Angeles after he was found not breathing in his Holmby Hills home earlier.

Celebrity website TMZ said 911 operators received an emergency call about 12.12pm local time (5.12am AEST).

"We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back," the website reported.

Jackson is believed to have gone into cardiac arrest and paramedics performed CPR on him en route to UCLA hospital.

The website quoted family members as saying the Thriller singer was in "really bad shape."

"We just got off the phone with Joe Jackson, Michael's dad, who says 'he is not doing well.'' the website had earlier reported.

Jackson was reportedly planning a comeback and was living in Los Angeles while rehearsing a series of 50 sold-out shows in London, the LATimes has reported.

Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics had rushed to the singer's $100,00-a-month rented home near Sunset Boulevard to find him not breathing, according to the newspaper.

Ned Flanders

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am

Postby djmenow » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:44 am

FARK!!!!! Just heard. What a loss. Such a young age. Maybe all the surgeries over the years and stresses have affected his heart.

Greatest singer of all time. Pity about his off stage antics but you cant doubt how good his music is.

RIP :cry:

Ned Flanders

Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:44 am

Postby SKaVeN » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 pm

I think it was the "off stage antics" that caused him more stress than the surgery.

Anyway, this one really is sad:

Quote:
Farrah Fawcett dies at 62
By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY
Her swimsuit poster launched a thousand male fantasies.

Her feathered locks made curling irons de rigueur for women and kick-started the most pervasive hair trend of the '70s.

She was Hollywood's penultimate golden girl. And, now, Farrah Fawcett, who epitomized the all-American ideal of beauty, has died after a three-year battle with cancer. She was 62. Her spokesman, Paul Bloch, says Fawcett died Thursday morning in a Santa Monica hospital.

In September 2006, Fawcett learned she had anal cancer. The devastating news led to a reconciliation with her on-and-off boyfriend, Ryan O'Neal, 68, the father of their troubled son, Redmond, 24. O'Neal was by her side as Fawcett went through chemotherapy and radiation treatments, and the actress was declared cancer-free in February 2007. But later that spring, she learned the cancer had returned. After growing weary of ineffective treatments in the USA, Fawcett traveled to Germany in September 2007 for alternative cancer therapies.

Her friend Craig Nevius told People that Fawcett was "discouraged by the treatments she got here. The fact that it recurred after all that she went through was heartbreaking."

At her side throughout her final difficult years: O'Neal — who himself had battled leukemia — and their son, Redmond.

Fawcett's tumultuous personal life belied her scrubbed, wholesome good looks. Perhaps most heartbreaking for her was Redmond's battle with drug addiction, which led to two arrests. In September, the youngest O'Neal was arrested and charged with drug possession after methamphetamine was found in his father's Malibu residence. And on April 5, Redmond was arrested again on suspicion of trying to sneak drugs into prison, where he had been visiting an inmate. He was sentenced to drug court, an intensive rehab program, during which he was allowed to visit his ailing mother under police supervision.

Fawcett will long be remembered as the pistol-packing blonde Jill Munroe on the '70s classic Charlie's Angels. But her legacy may be that she was never completely victorious in the decades-long battle she waged to overcome that enduring, indelible sex-symbol image. It is fitting that Fawcett — who launched to superstardom on the small screen — also said goodbye the same way. In May, NBC aired the documentary Farrah's Story, which chronicled Fawcett's battle with cancer and attracted nearly 9 million viewers.

"I'm holding on to the hope that there is some reason I got cancer and that there is something, that may not be very clear to me right now, that I will do," Fawcett said in an interview filmed for the documentary, according to Access Hollywood.

It's hard to believe that it took just one season — and 12 million copies of an unforgettable poster — to launch a deep-seated phenomenon that would carry on for more than two decades. After only 22 episodes, Fawcett walked away from her hit show, saying it was preventing her from growing as an actress. Producer Aaron Spelling threatened to sue her for breach of contract, she agreed to guest appearances on the series and was ultimately replaced by model Cheryl Ladd.

Fawcett had no regrets about leaving. When she hit it big on Angels, Fawcett's life was "in great turmoil," she told LIFE magazine in 1987. "I was locked into a character who was never changing. The producers did not really want to change. They had a successful format. But on the other hand, if I hadn't had that show, I don't know if I'd be where I am today, even though I couldn't really appreciate that fact at the time. You're just never in sync."

It took years before Fawcett was able to gain the critical notices she yearned for as a serious actress. Yet, they still stung with an awe-inspiring tone of surprise that TV's airheaded sex symbol, indeed, had some genuine acting chops.

Critics offered praise for her first post-Angels return to television in the 1981 film Murder in Texas. Fawcett gained more critical raves and professional cachet with her 1983 leading role as rape victim in the off-Broadway play Extremities.

With the strongest role of her career — as an abused wife in the 1984 TV movie The Burning Bed— Fawcett earned an Emmy nomination and, at last, professional respect. But it would be more than a decade before she found a taste of critical acclaim in film. Fawcett seemed poised for a movie career after earning praise as Robert Duvall's spouse in 1997's The Apostle. But that never materialized. By the early 2000s, Fawcett was back on TV, and she earned another Emmy nomination with her work on CBS' The Guardian.

Behind that glossy grin, all-American good looks and acting stamina, Fawcett struggled to find personal happiness.

The daughter of James, a refinery pipe fitter, and Pauline, a homemaker, Fawcett — her real name — was born in Corpus Christi, Texas, and attended the University of Texas at Austin, where she was voted one of the campus beauties. After switching her major from biology to art, Fawcett left school in her junior year and headed to Los Angeles.

The knockout with the flawless teeth and blinding smile landed an agent in her second week in Hollywood and was soon starring in Ultra Brite toothpaste and Wella Balsam shampoo commercials. She found love, too, with the future Six Million Dollar Man, Lee Majors. The two were married in 1973, and three years later, she was cast as one of Aaron Spelling's Angels. In 1979 Fawcett and Majors split up, and that fall, she began living with O'Neal, marking the beginning of one of Hollywood's most memorable love stories.

O'Neal had been married twice and had three children. His reputation as a ladies' man preceded him, but Fawcett wasn't deterred.

"I didn't think about that. I just took it day by day. I was so overwhelmed by this mental and physical attraction for him that I didn't think about anything except what was happening right there," she told LIFE. "We just eased into it. To find someone who keeps you stimulated almost all day long — if you do happen to be with him all day long — is very rare."

The relationship was tumultuous, however, and was chronicled in his daughter Tatum O'Neal's tell-all A Paper Life. The two were never married but seemed unable to stay apart, and on Monday, O'Neal announced they planned to marry as soon as Fawcett felt strong enough.

Fawcett herself sometimes thwarted her attempts to maintain her momentum as a serious Hollywood actress. In the face of her lifelong quest for critical respect, Fawcett was 50 when she agreed to pose for Playboy magazine. She also released a Playboy video, All of Me, in which she paints using her much-admired body as a paintbrush. She made headlines for the wrong reasons with a dazed appearance June 6, 1997, on Late Show With David Letterman and her January 1998 brawl with then-boyfriend producer James Orr, which left her bruised. A 2005 TV Land reality show, Chasing Farrah, was short-lived and quickly forgotten.

Not even Fawcett could explain her own appeal. "But it's something I can't escape," she told Texas Monthly in its January 1997 issue. "I was in Houston recently visiting my parents, and we went to one of those chicken-fried-steak restaurants. Redmond and I had just been Rollerblading. I was wearing no makeup, and I hadn't done anything to my hair, and this 175-pound woman came up to me and shouted, 'Farrah, how can you let yourself go like this? You are Farrah Fawcett!' Then she asked me to sign an autograph because Charlie's Angels had been her favorite show. I thought, 'Sometimes it isn't worth it. The fame is just not worth it.' "

She got sick of her own photos, telling LIFE that "there have been way too many" of them out there of her. Her looks became the curse that she could never escape, she told Entertainment Weekly in 1996.

"I see T-shirts everywhere, with my face, my poster," she said. "In Saudi Arabia they're using photographs of me — not only from Charlie's Angels but from when I did ads for Faberge shampoo — to advertise everything: clothes, food, vitamins. It's almost like I couldn't stop it even if I wanted to."

After years of friction and fighting her Angels notoriety, Fawcett finally embraced it in recent years and reunited with her fellow Angels at the 2006 Emmys, walking out on stage with Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith.

But Fawcett's longing to be taken seriously and escape her larger-than-life persona stayed with her to the end.

Well, they never made it to their wedding day...

Ned Flanders

Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Postby locky1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm

Mollie Sugden, the television actor who played the cat-obsessed Betty Slocombe in Are You Being Served?, has died age 86.

Sugden, born in 1922 in Keighley, West Yorkshire, became a household name after appearing in brightly coloured wigs as the social-climbing matriarch in the comedy series between 1972 and 1975.

She also portrayed Mrs Hutchinson, another battleaxe, in The Liver Birds.

Joan Reddin, Sugden's agent, said that her twin sons, Robin and Simon Moore, were at her bedside when she died at the Royal Surrey Hospital on Tuesday after a long illness, The Times Online reported.

"She was a lovely, lovely person and I never had any trouble with her. She was a great professional," said Reddin, who represented Sugden for 30 years.

Sugden, who lived in Surrey, never recovered from the death of her husband, William Moore, who was also an actor, Reddin said.

"They were very much in love. She started to go down when he died."

Sugden starred in many other comedies, including Come Back Mrs Noah, That's My Boy and My Husband And I, which she made with Moore.

She trained at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London. Her early career was spent in repertory theatre, where in Swansea in 1956 she met Moore, who she married two years later.

AAP

Ned Flanders

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 518 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next