View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:27 pm

Reply to topic 
 [ 518 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 52  Next
 This Mortal Coil 
Message Author

Postby atefooterz » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Quote:
FANS and friends have paid tribute to Melbourne breakfast radio host Richard Marsland, who was found dead in his car on a lonely stretch of road in Victoria's Dandenong Ranges.

A park ranger raised the alarm after finding the 32-year-old's body in his car at Shiprock Falls around 10.30am (AEDT) on Saturday but despite police resuscitation efforts, Marsland was later pronounced dead.

Victoria Police said an investigation had been launched and a brief would be passed to the state coroner but there were no suspicious circumstances.

By Sunday, fans had flooded the website of Triple M, where Marsland co-hosted the breakfast program with Pete Helliar and Myf Warhurst.

"Absolutely gutted to hear about Richard's passing. My wife and I had met him at Triple M earlier this year and we greatly admired him," one fan wrote.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageEddie's Hot Breakfast goes cold
Herald Sun, 2 Nov 2009
McGuire nears $1 million radio deal
NEWS.com.au, 26 Aug 2009
Sacked and loving it
Herald Sun, 14 Aug 2009
Snaparazzi - November 30
Herald Sun,
Changes at ailing 2UE
The Australian, 12 Jul 2009End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"He's definitely going to be missed on morning radio and his influence around the station will reach deeper than that."

Another fan wrote: "I am one of the very fortunate people to have been lucky enough to enjoy Rich's witty, intelligent and good natured humour over the past few years as I have listened to Triple M radio.

"Most recently, while sharing my morning with Pete and Myf, I have thought that Rich should have shared top billing, such was his incredible talent and amazingly quick and unfailingly funny one-liners."

Marsland began his radio career in Adelaide on the SAFM breakfast show with Greg Fleet, Marty Sheargold and James Brayshaw before co-hosting the daily morning program AM Adelaide on Channel 7, Adelaide.

He went on to host The Late Date Show nationally with Bessie Bardot on 2DayFM, 92.9 and FoxFM, and more recently, also wrote for SBS news entertainment show Newstopia and the Ten Network's Rove Live.

Triple M breakfast show co-host Helliar paid tribute to Marsland, who he described as "a great writer, a great performer and a great friend".

"It is heartbreaking to think that we won't see him again and we can only begin to imagine how hard this must be for his family."

Austereo Melbourne general manager Ben Amarfio expressed the station's sadness at Marsland's death.

"Everyone he worked with was impressed with his professionalism and dedication and he had an extremely bright future ahead of him," Mr Amarfio said in a statement.

COLLEAGUES SHOCKED

Adelaide TV personality Anne Wills co-hosted Seven's AM Adelaide with Marsland for six months before the show was axed in 2003.

She said she was "shocked" by his death and said his passing would leave a "huge hole" in her life.

"I never worked with someone who made me belly laugh so much," the multi-logie winning entertainer said.

"I think the entertainment industry in Australia has lost a great talent.

"The minute I worked with him I thought `What an absolute talent', he reminded me of a young Ernie Sigley.

"I for one will miss him dreadfully and I can't believe I won't see his silly smiling face."

Marsland wrote for Adelaide's the Sunday Mail's Mail Men column and worked alongside some of modern radio's brightest stars including Mick Molloy, Tony Martin, Fifi Box and Hamish and Andy.

FiveAA radio presenter Amanda Blair said Marsland was not only a "comedic genius'' but the "nicest man in radio''.

"There was not one person who said an ill word about Richard," said Blair who worked with Marsland at SA-FM for more than five years.

"Everyone is shattered, he's just a wonderful human being it's such a waste. I can't think of enough words to say how much we loved him."

* Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or SANE Helpline on 1800 18 SANE (7263) or visit www.beyondblue.org.au.

- with Sunday Mail (SA)

Santa's Little Helper

Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile WWW

Postby atefooterz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am

'Queen of Jazz' Su Cruickshank dies
Posted Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:06am AEDT

Entertainer Su Cruickshank has died.

The 63-year-old passed away on Tuesday night in Newcastle after battling a long illness.

Cruickshank was a regular guest on ABC Radio and also featured on commercial television and in movies.

She was given the unofficial title 'The Queen of Jazz' after hosting the Midsummer Festival of Jazz in Sydney's Domain for many years.

Santa's Little Helper

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 am
Profile WWW

Postby HumphreyBBear » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:23 am

Quote:
Movie star Brittany Murphy has died of an apparent heart attack in Los Angeles at the age of 32.

She was pronounced dead at 10.04am local time on Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre, a hospital spokeswoman told CNN.

The spokeswoman would not provide a cause of death or any other information.
Source:The Age

Just yesterday I was watching a "behind the scenes" video of one of her photo shoots, so this was a shock to read the very next day.

32 is way too young to die. RIP

Otto Man

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:23 am

Postby wolverine » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Very sad news indeed, such a young person to die. She was always so quirky, funny and bubbly.

Capo Bastone

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Postby Macc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Latest reports are she was on the same drugs as Michael Jackson.

Milhouse Van Houten

Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Postby SKaVeN » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Yup... Pharmaceutical drugs that kill you seem to be this season's black in Tinseltown...

Ned Flanders

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Postby atefooterz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Quote:
Australian rock musician Rowland S Howard has died.

The former guitarist from the band Birthday Party is believed to have been battling liver cancer and was awaiting a transplant.

Howard's career spanned three decades, in which he released a number of solo albums and had a number of collaborations with acclaimed Australian musician Nick Cave

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... ertainment

Santa's Little Helper

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

Postby Macc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Quote:
Actress Monica Maughan diess

Australian actress Monica Maughan has died in Melbourne at the age of 76.

She was a member of the Melboune University Dramatic Club where she made her stage debut opposite Barry Humphries in April 1954

She launched her professional career at the Union Repertory Theatre Company in 1957.

Her best known stage role was as Miss Prism in the Melbourne Theatre Company's The Importance Of Being Earnest.

The production, co-starring Geoffrey Rush, toured Australia between 1988 and 1992 and was televised by the ABC

Maughan also appeared in films and TV series, including The Box, Prisoner and the ABC's black comedy The Damnation Of Harvey McHugh, for which she won a Silver Logie.

Her feature films include A City's Child, Strange Bedfellows, Crackerjack and Road to Nhill.

Her most recent role was in 2009's Blessed.

Maughan died from complications of cancer.

She is survived by her husband of 42 years, three daughters and four grandchildren.

Milhouse Van Houten

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Postby HumphreyBBear » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

Quote:
British actress Jean Simmons, an Emmy Award winner whose career included roles in Hamlet and Spartacus, has died in California, the Los Angeles Times reported. She was 80.

Source:ABC Website

Forgive me for uploading a little pic of her from her heydays (with Laurence Olivier)

L 1389x1800 176

Otto Man

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

Postby Macc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Quote:
My Sharona singer dead at 57

Doug Fieger, leader of power pop band The Knack, who sang on the 1979 hit My Sharona, has died. He was 57.

The band's manager Jake Hooker said Fieger died at his home in Woodland Hills near Los Angeles on Sunday. He had cancer.

Fieger, from the Detroit area, formed the Knack in 1978. He co-wrote and sang lead vocals on My Sharona, which held the No.1 spot for six weeks. Fieger said the song was inspired by a former girlfriend.

The Knack's albums include Get the Knack and ... But the Little Girls Understand.

In 2006, Fieger underwent surgery to remove two tumours from his brain.

Milhouse Van Houten

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm
Reply to topic 
 [ 518 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 52  Next